PDA

View Full Version : Bell Influx

Lisel
05-02-2002, 12:29 PM
I've read about ponytail-compatible helmets, such as the Giro Venus. Are they really necessary though. I think I'd prefer to go with the Bell Influx, which isn't identified as such. Can anyone provide feedback on this helmet (especially those with long hair)? And are there other ponytail-compatible helmets to consider?

Thanks!
Lisel

angriecow
10-14-2002, 06:22 AM
:D honestly, i had hair down to my knees when i started biking, but turning, the grit, the wind resistance, etc, it just dragged me down so i keep my hair short ( just under chin) but if you HAVE to have your ponytail, just ties it at the nape of your neck and it's all good. i take you are mtn bike with Influx, but if not, get the bell phi, that wraparound plastic in the back is a hell of a life saver, literally... i was knock unconscious by a pretty bad crash with my influx because it's just foam in the back and cracked upon inpact

i had a similar accident recently with my new phi and the extra bit of plastic kept the helmet from craking, and me conscious. (btw, i am not a klutz or anything,... i ride in NYC traffic :S accidents happen)

missliz
11-09-2002, 01:27 AM
Angriecow is probably right on those two helmets, I'm not up on this years stuff, but in general the the whole ponytail port thing is bogus. A bone they toss us to appear woman freindly. Men with ponytails just put on a helmet and ride- women neurose about it. You need to get the helmet that fits and protects the braincase- you'll have sweaty helmet hair after regardless of where the ponytail sits. I promise you don't want to smack your head in anything less than an exquisitly fitted helmet. I went over the bars with a fashion statement on my head and got a nasty concussion, whiplash, and ten days in bed. Next year, I went over and landed on my skull on a steel railroad track in a Bell Pheonix (heh heh!) and walked away swearing like a sailor. See the difference? I got a big black eye and people kept giving me cards for the battered womens shelter, but I was out and about and just sort of bruised up.
Screw the ponytail port. Get the helmet that protects your brain.

Juliette
11-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Several years ago I had a womens specific helmet (forgot the brand) it fit o.k. I later replaced it with Giros (E2 for mtn and eclipse for road) the Giros actually have a more secure fit. I thread my tail thru the center part of the roc-loc contraption.

marianne
11-11-2002, 10:34 AM
I wear 2 tails when I wear a helmet, it looks funny and your helmet doesn't push on your tail!!

angriecow
11-11-2002, 10:37 AM
yeah, after losing my 2lbs of hair i keep them in pig-tails :D they slip into the vent slots :D hahahaha

missliz
11-11-2002, 12:10 PM
I use a Giro, and use the same solution as Juliette for the ponytail- that space between the helmet and the roc loc dealie is perfect. Women specific is good to hear, but I keep finding that the best fit in most stuff is more about digging for the right model that fits. Thats not true for everybody and everything, give me women's saddles with a hole cut out please! but the woman specific stuff is often just one of many options. And sometimes just a marketing ploy.