PDA

View Full Version : While on your bcps should you use any extra protection on your bike?

DarkEros07
01-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Hello Ladies,

I am on birth controll pills due to cycle abnormalities as in I will bleed for months on end. I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with too much exercise making them bleed threw their pills or if anyone had any hormone problems while bikeing? i know it seems like an odd question but i jsut had to ask. also what to do when your going on long rides and your going to be gone for days and your pills are about to an end and your supposed to start your period. would you do it or just keep going with your reg pills untill your back home? i cant for the life of me remember riding a bike while on my period maybe because i didnt? lol. who knows. but is it uncomfortable? should i use a tampon or pad or what? too many questions of a sensitive nature i know. sorry!

-Kristen-:D

RoadRaven
01-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Eros... there's a few threads referring to "moon cups" or "diva cups".

My connection is too slow to find the links for you, but either do a search, or mebbe someone else can provide the links.

I used to ride using a tampon (or two on the really heavy day) but you need to be careful about string placement.

Pads just move about and disintergrate.

I find although I bleed more if I ride during my period (and consequently my period is up to 1 1/2 days shorter) my cramps are milder and discomfort is much less.

alpinerabbit
01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Just shove the string all the way up and dig it out later. Any spillage is dealt with by the chamois and if it is a gel-type chamois, there is no risk of blotting through at all (think café stop - no problem). Stick with black for your shorts.

EBD
01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
As for skipping your period (going on to next pack of pills) - gynos have always told me this is perfectly fine, and even suggested it sometimes. I've done it a couple of times, and it worked *ok*, but not perfect results. There was still some light spotting and (milder) PMS symptoms, and my next period was longer and more uncomfortable. So it felt like I just postponed my period 3 weeks, rather than skipping it entirely. It's perfectly safe and sometimes useful, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Exercise does sometimes speed things up in the menstruation department, which is great (if you are adequately protected) - and like RoadRaven, I've definitely found it can alleviate cramps and bloating. NOT my favorite time of the month to squeeze into those bike shorts, however.

DarkEros07
01-28-2007, 04:57 AM
well i wasn't thinking of waiting till the next pack was done. i was going to just wait till the tour is over and then start my period. does that seem reasonable?

so its not entirely uncomfortable to wear a tampon? lol. i feel like an idiot for asking this but i never ride when on my period. which probly contributes to so long of not rideing*had bleeding probs and couldnt stop bleeding*

thank you so much for the ideas ladies! you have really helped!

-Kristen-

Grog
01-28-2007, 07:52 AM
well i wasn't thinking of waiting till the next pack was done. i was going to just wait till the tour is over and then start my period. does that seem reasonable?

Ask a gynecologist, but my quick answer would be: finish the pack.

so its not entirely uncomfortable to wear a tampon? lol. i feel like an idiot for asking this but i never ride when on my period. which probly contributes to so long of not rideing*had bleeding probs and couldnt stop bleeding*

It's a personal thing, but in my case I don't even feel it if a tampon's there, on a bike or not. If I feel it, it means it's not inserted properly, and probably has to go deeper.

SalsaMTB
01-29-2007, 08:37 AM
When I was on the pill, I occasionally skipped periods without any problems. I didn't spot at all and it had no effect on the following months period. I always finished the pack though, so I would definitely discuss just stopping the pack with the doctor before you do it!

I always ride with a tampon. I don't find any discomfort, I can't even tell it's there. You do have to be conscious of string placement though!

I find that riding while on my period has some benefits. It reduces cramping, reduces bloating, and makes my period lighter. Overall, it's actually something I try to motivate myself to do during that time to make me feel better. Motivation though can be tough when you're sitting at home feeling ten pounds heaving, tired, and painful stomach cramps!!

Dianyla
01-29-2007, 10:10 AM
I find that riding while on my period has some benefits. It reduces cramping, reduces bloating, and makes my period lighter. Overall, it's actually something I try to motivate myself to do during that time to make me feel better. Motivation though can be tough when you're sitting at home feeling ten pounds heaving, tired, and painful stomach cramps!!
This is so true for me as well. It's almost impossible to get yourself moving, but once you do you'll actually feel better.

matagi
01-29-2007, 04:26 PM

thank you so much for the ideas ladies! you have really helped!

-Kristen-
Wait until you finish the next pack and then go through the withdrawal bleed as normal.

As for wearing a tampon, go with the smallest one that will cope with the flow and as others have suggested, either tuck the string inside or do what I do, and lay it very carefully in a straight line.

ChickWithBrains
02-26-2007, 02:25 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned using Instead. Can't feel a thing, totally internal, no string, no pad, no mess. Add that to extended-cycle regimens (like Seasonale, which has just gone generic) and you've got yourself a lot fewer days to worry about it.

Dianyla
02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned using Instead. Can't feel a thing, totally internal, no string, no pad, no mess. Add that to extended-cycle regimens (like Seasonale, which has just gone generic) and you've got yourself a lot fewer days to worry about it.
That's because we're all using menstrual cups (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2010), instead. :p

$30 for 10 years worth of menstrual flow? That's a pretty good deal. :cool:

VeloVT
02-26-2007, 03:24 PM
I have to put in a plug here for Depo Provera. A shot four times a year -- and you get birth control plus no periods/pms, ever. Love it.

pharmer723
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
i am a pharmacist and a recreational cyclist...and i can tell you how much i loved using the Nuvaring! It's a vaginal ring, impregnated with low dose estrogen and progestin, that you wear inside your vagina for three weeks. at the end of three weeks you remove it and get your period. ta-DAH!! i often skipped my period by inserting a new ring at the end of three weeks. just make sure that your doc writes the directions as such so that your insurance pays for you to get a new one every 21 days - for those of you who have insurance. the same goes for BCPs...if you plan on skipping the placebo tablets make sure your doc writes "start new pack after 3 weeks - skip placebo tablets". NOTE: if you want to try a Nuvaring free just go to their website and download a coupon to present at your local pharmacy. you still have to get a prescription from a physician, though. present both the prescription AND the coupon at the same time - or you'll get eye-rolling from the pharmacist!

:) tips from retail :)

it is perfectly healthy to skip a period. having a 28 day cycle is actually not normal - it's a surrogate marker/an average. i am sure that it makes those of us actively trying to NOT get pregnant relieved every month, but it's not essential. you'll be ok if you skip a few to avoid feeling icky on your bike.

i usually use a tampon...or an instead cup. the menstrual cup was too hard to take in and out...and if i needed to address the issue of overflow in a public restroom? UGH. fuggetaboutit. nasty nasty nasty. pads bunch up in your special region and make for an uncomfortable ride.

good luck finding what works for you!