PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Gloves

ORBikeChick
05-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Hi All....Newbie here with a question about biking gloves. I'm curious how many of you wear them? At the time I don't wear any, but have noticed after 15-20 miles or so, that I'm adjusting my hands a lot because it gets uncomfortable. I'd imagine that they will help but I'm not sure, so I thought I'd ask some experts. Any particular types I should look for?

Thanks for the help!

Sarah :cool:

Irulan
05-31-2004, 05:26 PM
I used to wear half finger gel gloves but after being gifted with some non-padded, full gloves that's all I wear all the time. I like the full fingers because now I dont' come home with bashed up fingers any more. I like the way my bike "feels" better without the gel, too. they are Fox synthetic leather too so I just throw them in the wash and line dry them.

edit: I ride mainly singletrack

penny

ORBikeChick
05-31-2004, 05:50 PM
See..I'm glad I asked! Thanks Irulan for the info. I would have figured the half fingered gloves to be better...don't know why. I like the idea of the synthetic leather as well...they can go right in the wash with everything else! lol! I appriciate the advice and am open to hear what others use as well!

:)

Veronica
05-31-2004, 06:52 PM
I like Specialized half finger gloves. They're lightly padded and I do throw them in the washer and dryer.

I suppose the kind of gloves you want will largely depend on what type of riding you do. I primarily ride my road bike. My off road excursions tend to be on fire roads.

Veronica

bounceswoosh
05-31-2004, 08:35 PM
The first time I ever tried to ride my brand new bike with clipless pedals, I didn't bother to wear my gloves. The first time I stopped, I forgot about unclipping till I started tipping over and realized my foot was attached to the bike. In the course of the fall, I planted my hands in a bed of teensy gravel pieces. My palms were scabbed for weeks, and I still have the scar.

I don't forget to wear my gloves anymore.

I'm wearing pearl izumi half-finger gloves. They're thickly padded. My old gloves had no padding, and certain jackhammer-like rocky, rooty, etc downhills left me aching. Now I'm comfy.

pedalfaster
06-01-2004, 05:02 AM
I use Fox Incline gloves (full finger, stretchy mesh back, minimal padding) on the moutain bike.

On the road I like 1/2 finger gloves with light padding (no gel--it just bunches up on me) and --when I can find them--no Velcro closures. I find that I can pull arm warmers off more easily without that Velcro snagging everything :D

Like the others mentioned, mine all go in the wash, so I try to buy inexpensive gloves. When I find a pair I like on sale I'll buy 3 or 4 pairs. That way when they fall apart or just get tooooo funky I can toss them. Also helps if you tend to loose ONE glove. Grrrr.

ragbrai40
06-01-2004, 06:01 AM
I wear gloves and have a varied assortment from REI, Cannodale and Trek. I too throw them in the washer - works great!:)

Adventure Girl
06-01-2004, 06:35 AM
For mountain biking I wear full-fingered gloves. I think they're better for going through brush and the occasional contact with other parts of the earth (rocks, trees, etc.).

But for road riding I wear half-fingered gloves because I have a better feel of my STI shifters with bare fingers.

MightyMitre
06-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Specialized do a long finger version of their Women Specific gloves as well as the half finger. I've got both sorts and love them.

I mostly ride on the road but sometimes wear the long finger gloves even in the summer. I get very hot and sweaty hands and the long gloves stop my hot little fingers slipping and sliding on the break and gear levers.

snowtulip
06-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Hi All,
I couldn't imagine not riding with gloves. I mountain bike, and like many of you I made the switch from half gloves to full fingered gloves (originally thought that the full gloves would be too hot in the southwest, but don't even notice it). They save my hands from many earthly objects, I also find that I am more willing to try more technical skills when I have more protection.
Enjoy!

Cdalekat
06-03-2004, 08:58 AM
I'll chime in on also wearing gloves all the time. Cuts down vibration in my elbows!

I like my full-fingered gloves better, but they feel too warm to me in the summer, so I switch to halvsies.

Honestly, halvsies are a bit more convienent because I have more dexterity for doing things so I don't have to take the gloves off (such as trying to pull my ID card out of my wallet when I get to the gym).

MudGrrl
06-09-2004, 10:25 AM
I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Triggers (which I love), a pair of REI fingerless, and a pair of Pearl Izumi fulls.

I would recommend the Triggers for singletrack, as they have decent grip and keep your front two fingers of each hand covered and safe.