PDA

View Full Version : Yeast!

c123456789
05-31-2004, 10:15 AM
I have appreciated reading through past threads and learning more about how to prevent yeast infections when riding. I always take off shorts immediately, wash them without a strong detergent, hang them to dry in the sun, and wear clean ones the next day. I also never wear underwear underneath my shorts, and try to be in the buff as much as possible otherwise to keep things airy down there! However, I still am out of the saddle about half of the time b/c I am healing from a yeast infection. I heard about talcum or cornstarch, but was worried that the former might irritate and the latter feed my little enemies. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would appreciate anything you might be able to add.

Best,
Carrie

Irulan
05-31-2004, 12:44 PM
Wow, have you talked to your OBGYN yet? That does not sound good, I only get one once every two years or so.

What are you using for treatment? The OTC stuff varies in strength. I recall last time around talking to the pharmacist. IIRC, the "one tablet does it" wasn't really getting it, and I had to go back and treat with the better stuff. It's worth asking as there are several different OTC treatments and they are not all equal.

I used to get them a lot more. Some "natural" things you can do are to both eat and insert acidolphilis yogurt. This encourages healthy growths. I am convinced with no evidence that yeast is controlled internally. I know it's very sensitive to vaginal pH, have you tracked the occurances to your menstrual cycle at all? Some people have systematic yeast problems, where they have yeast growth in a lot more places internally than just the vagina.

Crazy stuff eh, but worth snooping around the natural remedies information sites if you have hit the wall with an MD.

penny

bounceswoosh
05-31-2004, 02:29 PM
I used to get yeast infections more or less constantly; now I hardly ever get them. I think two big factors are stress level and humidity. Colorado works out great for me because everything dries out faster, which helps with yeast infections and also with ear infections (don't even get me started!).

I definitely recommend eating yogurt. I now have yogurt at home at all times, and if I haven't had a big bowlful in a week, I start to feel like one's coming on ...

Also, I think there's some rule of thumb that the sweeter the yogurt is, the less of the good cultures it has.

Anyhoo, I try to have low fat vanilla yogurt with tons of grapenuts on top a few times a week. Yummy, yummy, yummy. Add strawberries/blueberries/etc for even more of a taste treat.

Irulan
05-31-2004, 03:01 PM
yogurt will say on the label if is has active acidolphilus cultures in it. You may have to go to a natural market...yoplait and other sweets disguised as yogure do not have it.

i.

ausgirl
05-31-2004, 06:16 PM
I agree with the yoghurt idea and this is why. Two bacteria lactobacillus (a group found in yoghurt) and candida albicans (causes thrush) are both found naturally occurring in your genitals in a relationship where they pretty much keep the levels of the other regulated. Thing is if something goes wrong with your body and your immune system changes, you take antibiotics or more of one is reduced into the region (poor hygiene etc), then the lactobacillus is usually killed off a bit and the candida albicans starts to take over causing thrush. If you apply yoghurt with a high amount of lactobacillus to the area these bacteria will help to again control the candida albicans bacteria, hopefully getting rid of thrush.

So eating yoghurt is good, putting it down there is better for this. But see the doctor if it continues for too long. Other thing is, I spoke to my GP today in a normal appointment and apparently brazilian waxing is best for cyclists, it helps the area to stay dry and clean and apparently is really good for preventing yeast infections and ingrown hairs! Hope this helps!

c123456789
05-31-2004, 10:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I have been to many OB GYN's and they can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I have been tested for Diabetes, which is a factor in recurrent yeast infections, but it came back negative. I normally take Diflucan (the pink pill) and then two doses of Terazol (the Rx 3 day treatment). The OTC doesn't work. I have also done the whole range of homeopathic: yoghurt in the mouth and on the genitals, garlic inside (!), and "painting" genetian violet. When I last went to my OB GYN a few weeks back she mentioned that the yoghurt solution has been "debunked" due to the fact that the lactobaccilus in our vaginal area and that in yoghurt is different. Has anyone else heard this? I was bummed. I have tried tracking it to my cycle and there doesn't seem to be any correlation.

What is Brazilian waxing?

Thanks so much!
Carrie

bounceswoosh
06-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Carrie,

I wish you had personal messages unabled, but you don't, so ....

I had a seemingly untreatable yeast infection on and off for a year. Doctors suggested all sorts of treatments, but they never worked. Talk about misery. I also had pain during sex. I suspected there were psychological reasons; my counsellor insisted it must be an STD, but I'd been tested for everything under the sun and came back clean.

Well, it turns out that depression + a scummy, not-good-for-me boyfriend were causing my troubles. With my new boyfriend (now husband) and many other life changes, I'm a lot happier, and both symptoms disappeared, even before I moved away from Virginia.

Your emotions can have a huge impact on your immune system. You may be happy as a clam, but it's worth some navel gazing to consider if that really is the case.

Irulan
06-01-2004, 07:04 AM
for more info than you ever imaginged on Brazilian waxing

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500&highlight=brazilian+bikini

reacted
06-01-2004, 08:08 AM
I know two girls who have chronic yeast, and over the past year to two years they have tried everything out there from over the counter to garlic. Both have had luck with boric acid treatments. which they'd saved as something of a last resort. You can google it and come up with tons of sites with directions for doing it.

Good luck.

c123456789
06-01-2004, 05:47 PM
I don't know how to make my personal messages unabled, or I would. I have been living in Tanzania for the past six years and all this technology is a bit much for me. :)

I appreciate all the helpful hints! Thanks!

modbike
06-03-2004, 07:13 PM
in Germany you get these acidophilus/lactose pills that you insert into your vagina when you have a yeast infection. They have living cultures in them and have to be kept cooled in the fridge, though. They are great and work wonders, I have never seen them in the US though....

Irulan
06-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by c123456789
I don't know how to make my personal messages unabled, or I would. I have been living in Tanzania for the past six years and all this technology is a bit much for me. :)

I appreciate all the helpful hints! Thanks!

go to user cp and you can set a bunch of options... whether you want to get private messages, or emails from TE members, and other stuff.

irulan

yogabear
06-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi,

I know many people who have had this frustrating problem of yeast overgrowth. May I suggest one area to look at? Diet is a big piece of the puzzle. One obvious type of food to avoid would be sugar because the yeast feed on it. I highly recommend the book by the late William G. Crook, M.D. called THE YEAST CONNECTION AND THE WOMAN. Although systemic candidiasis infection is seen as controversial by the traditional medical field, following the dietary suggestions Dr. Crook recommends is not harmful. I do not eat sugars, wheat, white flour, gluten, dairy, corn, fungi (mushrooms), etc. because I am very prone to yeast problems. I feel so much better after adopting this diet years ago. I eat lots of vegetables, salads, some animal protein and now, I can tolerate rice. Another excellent resource person/author is Caroline Sutherland, Ph.D. (She has a website, book, etc. with information on dietary approaches in the same vein).

Something else to consider is birth control pills...they tend to make our body very yeasty.

I hope you find this information useful and I hope you feel better soon!

kerrybelle
06-26-2004, 03:58 AM
I definitely agree with Yogabears advice. Watch what you put into your body, especially the sugar. I have also suffered through many relentless yeast infections. Your problem sounds all too familiar. Have you had your blood count checked? I found that my white blood cell count was just a point or two down from the normal range and that was my culprit! Now I see a hematologist who put me on prescription vitamins. I haven't had a problem in about 2 years! Just my two cents. Good luck!

Kerry

ChainsOflove
06-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Its been my personal theory that I get the yeast infections when I"ve been eating a lot of sugar, like jelly beans and stuff. My doc said I was wrong, of course.

Roadrunner
08-16-2004, 03:38 AM
I've recently been bothered with it and live yoghurt does help (I've only tried it oraly so far)
Went to the doctor today and was given a pessary and cream(clotrimazole).It usually clears it up quickly.She felt cycling probably agravated it (heat and moisture) but didn't want suggest to stop (encourages exercise).