PDA

View Full Version : Long and Less Long Runs - 1/22/07 to 1/28/07

Wahine
01-22-2007, 06:21 AM
OK, Here's the week's thread. Lets add our collective miles together from last week. I know Alpine Rabbit made a big contribution. I, on the other hand only logged 11.5 miles. I decided to do a long cross country ski on saturday instead of a run, so that cut back the weeks mileage quite a bit.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how far we ran in total last week. Let's tray to add up the total as we go along and on Wed or Thur we can convert to the marathon scale.

Happy Monday everyone. Mine's starting well. I'm running late for work and my coffe maker is on the fritz. :mad:

yellow
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Wahine, I think XC skiing counts as running with skis on. Especially if you classic ski. I classic skied (pretty hard) on Sunday and boy did it kick my butt. Skate skiing is soooo much easier (I think).

My miles from last week: a whopping 11.7m running (all on the dreadmill, complete with a massive bonk on Tuesday), 11.2 m skate skiing, and 6.2 m classic skiing. The air is really bad here right now so no running outside for a while. They gym is so hot and crowded, the thought of the dreadmill any more scares me. Today's "run": I went up to Park City and skated 19k (11.8 mi) :D ... the air is much nicer up there.

Tri Girl
01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for starting the thread Wahine!
I ran 30 last week.
Did a short recovery run today.
Looking forward to another great week of running! :D

KnottedYet
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
do my 3/4 of a mile last week count for anything? :o

(yeah, you guys do the 26s for the marathons, and I'll do the 0.2s!;) )

colby
01-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I think I am a little confused. :confused: Should we be totalling our miles for last week in this week's thread or last week's thread? It seems like totaling last week's miles in this week's thread makes it so we're always talking about last week this week. I am not feeling so hot today, so I could just be extra confused. ;)

Last week: no long runs. No runs at all in fact, unless you count an hour or so twice (or was it three times?) a week on a stair climber machine (a lot like running except it doesn't seem to hit my shins the same because of the lack of forward movement). Many hours of snowboarding on Saturday (many minutes of waiting in lift lines...).

This week: I hope to get back to running outdoors. Probably be doing loops of 3 miles because the paved trails seem less icy/snowy than the sidewalks and I still don't have any traction devices for my shoes.

Happy running!

Wahine
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
I think I am a little confused. :confused: Should we be totalling our miles for last week in this week's thread or last week's thread? It seems like totaling last week's miles in this week's thread makes it so we're always talking about last week this week. I am not feeling so hot today, so I could just be extra confused. ;)

Many people will post what they've been up to during the week as well, but to have it count towards our collective marathons, I just need one figure that gives total mileage for the last week from Monday thru Sunday.

I've decided that I will count my classic skiing in the total. So I'll recalibrate the totals later. My yoga class is about to start.

Wahine
01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
So for last week thus far I have 82.25 miles (this includes all cross country skiing mileage, (Yellow said it counts). That's 3.14 marathons, thank you Knott, we wouldn't have made it without you.

Now, I could go back and add up what everyone posted last week for their runs for that week. Oh wait, I think I need to go shampoo my hair. So I guess you'll all have to do it for me. So send in your totals ladies. Especially some of us whose initials are AR, RM and RnR because I know you lot put in enough miles to count for 2 marathons by yourselves.:D :D Good work everyone!

colby
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Many people will post what they've been up to during the week as well, but to have it count towards our collective marathons, I just need one figure that gives total mileage for the last week from Monday thru Sunday.

Who can argue with having to post more than once per week in the thread? Not me! :D

(PS: I think nordic skiing definitely counts)

tattiefritter
01-23-2007, 04:48 AM
Last week: a whopping 3.5 running miles due to ankle sprain not healed.

Its a gorgeous blue sky day here in Blackpool, a little bit of breeze and 3 degrees celcius (perfect running conditions).

Today: 5 miles!!!! :D Over the moon! First run in new shoes and nary a twinge from my ankle (took a bit of convincing it wasn't going to hurt though) and shoes feel so completely different to my last ones. I can feel my feet pronate properly and pushing off from the big toe area rather than the side of my foot. Its going to take a run or two for my feet to get used to being able to move properly as they've been in over controlling shoes for over a year :o

Not sure whether it was the beautiful day, the new shoes or lovely warm new Sugoi tights or just enthusiasm for getting out there but did my 5 miles in 43 minutes which is only 10 seconds a mile off my 10K race pace. WHOA GIRL!
I think I can be excused a little over enthusiasm today but will need to get my pace back under control for this weekends long run (8 - 10 miles hopefully).

alpinerabbit
01-23-2007, 06:30 AM
30 min with tiny hill repeats. No soreness after Saturday.
I have a training log (http://phoenixnturtle.net/?Phoenix_Lair:Training_log)now.

I am looking so forward to swim class tonight. I managed 150 (3 lengths) freestyle nonstop again, I think I am getting there.

Wahine
01-23-2007, 08:08 PM
So I had the most spectacular run in the history of the known universe today. I ran a total of 8 miles. No big deal. What was a big deal was that the temperature was min the mid 40’s, the sun was out and I ran in a place were if I looked south I could see Mt. Hood and if looked north, there was Mt. Adams. Both of them sparkling white with new snow from the last few days. It was breathtaking. This is the reason why I moved to the Gorge.

rocknrollgirl
01-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Holy Cow...that is absolutley beautiful...it speaks to my soul....Can I come run at your house?

We ran intervals yesterday. First time in a very long time, so the total distance was probably between 3-4 miles. So call it 3.5.

We did them on a section of flat trail in the woods. It was a good workout, hard, but short. We warmed up for about 10 mins, and then ran a section hard for 30 secs and jogged back to the start. We marked out of to be about 175 yards for me and 200 for the DH

Six repeats and a 10 min cooldown.

I can feel my quads today, but as I move around it will probably work itself out. We were scheduled to mt bike tomorrow, but the weather is looking pretty nasty, high of only 28 and snow, so we may do a long easy run instead.

tattiefritter
01-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Jealous of Wahine's scenery too!

Calves hurt somewhat today but not in the usual place after running, more the "inner" calf muscles which I think are now having to work properly. Will need to keep an eye on them for a bit - lots of TLC.

No running today - out nightriding tonight which should loosen the calves off for tomorrows run: forecast to be a bit windy tonight and about 3 degrees C (or -3 with windchill). Will be engaging the ice patch early warning system tonight (i.e. have someone in front of me at all times) but otherwise perfect night riding conditions.

kaybee
01-24-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm also jealous of Wahine's scenery! That almost doesn't look real, but I know it is. Three miles for me on Monday and six today. It looks like I've talked myself into another half marathon on March 3. :eek:

KB

mcoleman
01-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Ditto on the scenery. You can add my 20.7 from last week.

Bikingmomof3
01-24-2007, 09:04 AM
I only managed 8 miles last week due to the flu. :(

So far so good this week. :)

Wahine your view is spectacular!!

Wahine
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
You can all come visit! Once our new house is finished, DH and I are planning on having an on-line calendar where people can lay dibbies on the various guest spaces: guest suite, vetran's room with futon pull-out, couch, tent space under the oak tree... :D You guys get the idea. I'll let you know when we're up and running.

Just so there are no acusations of false advertisement. That photo was taken a little north of where I live and I don't have that mountain view from my new house. That is Mt. Adams at dawn, (no I didn't take the picture). I do however, have a great view of Mt. Hood from my still under construction living room. Maybe I'll post a photo later.

btchance
01-24-2007, 05:27 PM
Okie dokie - last week I ran 11miles. This week I've done a big fat nothing as far as running goes, but hopefully I'll get a good one in either tomorrow or Friday. Oh, and Wahine, that is a gorgeous picture. And good going girls!

alpinerabbit
01-25-2007, 05:36 AM
I did the same run as on tuesday with the exception we had some snow. That made it harder.

I tried adding cycles just like in spinning, of 16 measures fast and 16 slow, as long as the trail was flat. Then I repeated a short hill 8x.

tattiefritter
01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
No run for me today as calves very sore from Tuesday. I'm paying for my over enthusiasm on Tuesday as well as last nights long and late night ride so taking the day off for my legs. Its definitely the inside of my calves that are sore (and cycling didn't help) so I will need to be aware that they are not used to being used when running.

Intending to do a longer, slow run on Saturday, with the emphasis on slow - thinking snail like thoughts between now and Saturday in preparation.

KSH
01-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Wahine... absolute PERFECTION where you live! I live in Dallas, TX... yea, um, I never get to see anything that pretty!

Thanks for starting the thread this week!

Did I run on my business trip? Nope. I suck. I hope to run tomorrow (Friday) for a couple of miles.

btchance
01-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I had the morning off for once (yeah!!!) so I went for a tempo run. 3.6miles, HR around 170-174. It was still quite cold (30s) so I had to bundle up but it was nice to get the legs moving.

rocknrollgirl
01-25-2007, 01:34 PM
We just got back from 4.5 in the woods. feeling a little sore from interval training on Tuesday, but this too shall pass.....

Wine is recovery food right????:rolleyes:

Wahine
01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
We just got back from 4.5 in the woods. feeling a little sore from interval training on Tuesday, but this too shall pass.....

Wine is recovery food right????:rolleyes:

Absolutely and red wine has tons of antioxidents to help get those free radicals under control. :D :D

Hmmmmm, how long til I get of work? I think I hear a bottle calling my name.

Wahine
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
So, in total for the mileage people logged in with for last week, plus what I was able to rustle up from last weeks posts, we got 159 miles or 6.1 marathons!! Woooooooo Hoooooooo. Nice work team. :D :D

BTW - my legs are killing me, I managed 45 min run, serious suffering going on. :o :o I am soooo glad that next week is a rest week for me. I only have 7 more months of training until IM. :eek:

Bluetree
01-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Here's my week's totals:
Two short 4 mile runs + one 7 miler today = 15 for me this week.
No runs scheduled for this weekend, so that should do it for me.

KSH
01-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Well, I got in 2.5 miles at lunch.

I might put in some more miles on Saturday... but doubt it. I start with my tri coach workout plans on Monday... and he has me working out every day next week. :eek:

RedCanny
01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I got in maybe 1.5 miles, yesterday morning. Which is plenty, considering it was my first run since my 12/19 ankle sprain! I did short intervals on the treadmill - 10 x 1.5 minute runs.

Oy, my shins & hips hurt! Not sure if it's due to the treadmill (I prefer to run outside), or to the 5 weeks away from running. The ankle feels fine, though.

emily_in_nc
01-26-2007, 04:27 PM
I ran 2.75 miles (+ walked .5 mi) on the treadmill yesterday. Definitely a "less long" run compared to most of you, but for a complete non-runner, asthmatic like myself, running 3 miles straight for the first time in my life (and I'm 45) a couple of months ago, courtesy of Advair (a miracle) and aerobic training on the bike, hiking, etc., felt like an INCREDIBLE victory. I used to hate running, avoid it at all costs, and now it makes me feel very powerful and free -- kinda like cycling. :)

Emily

P.S. I also fractured my pelvis and had to have surgery in a cycling accident in April '05. I didn't think I'd ever be able to even walk fast again...much less run. That's what makes it even sweeter.

Deborajen
01-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Emily,

Congratulations! That's a good accomplishment, period, let alone for someone who's overcome asthma and a fractured pelvis.

I think it's been said that only 2% of the population can run a mile (?) Being able to run a mile - or more - definitely makes you feel like you're in control. :)

Deb

tattiefritter
01-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Looking at my training log its actually my first long run in January :eek: everything else has been under 5 miles thanks to my cack footedness.

No wonder my poor ickle calves are complaining, more stretching and a session with "The Stick" later ready for tomorrow's MTB ride. I pretty much stuck to my gel every half hour strategy and they didn't seem to cause me problems which is good to know. I was tempted not to take them but then I remembered I've got a decent length ride to do tomorrow and need to be fuelled for that so I used them. I don't seem to have the urge to eat everything in the kitchen this afternoon which is normal for me post long run so maybe they'll work.

KSH
01-27-2007, 07:29 AM
I ran 2.75 miles (+ walked .5 mi) on the treadmill yesterday. Definitely a "less long" run compared to most of you, but for a complete non-runner, asthmatic like myself, running 3 miles straight for the first time in my life (and I'm 45) a couple of months ago, courtesy of Advair (a miracle) and aerobic training on the bike, hiking, etc., felt like an INCREDIBLE victory. I used to hate running, avoid it at all costs, and now it makes me feel very powerful and free -- kinda like cycling. :)

Emily

P.S. I also fractured my pelvis and had to have surgery in a cycling accident in April '05. I didn't think I'd ever be able to even walk fast again...much less run. That's what makes it even sweeter.

Emily... your running in a HUGE accomplishment!

And 2.5 miles is FAR!

Great job lady! :D

alpinerabbit
01-27-2007, 10:27 AM
45-50 or so minutes (7km?) on ICE.... it was nasty. slippery. That's strenuous. And the Thai lunch I had was firing up my stomach. Actually it was interesting, more like a menthol feeling in my esophagus. Post-shopping espresso was necessary to even get out of the house again (I am not a talented shopper). I looked at new swimsuits and promised myself one after I can swim continuous laps of freestyle.

I have found a fellow tri newbie in my swim class. He's got a marathon under his belt, so he's going for the olympic distance the day of my sprint. Maybe we can do a threesome ride or brick sometime.

PS I think with the fitness regimen I started since November I am losing weight. I dunno how it looks on the scales but fat-wise, I am losing visibly.

btchance
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Emily - awesome job!! you're doing great. And Alpinerabbit - I don't know how you gals do it running on ice. I would fall and seriously injur myself.

Yesterday I biked up Monte Sano mountain, which is where all the MTB trails and trail running is in my area. Seeing how beautiful the area is again, and how nice our weather is, I decided to go for a trail run and MTB today. Well, I got everything loaded up in my car to go, and suddenly had the realization that today is Mountain Mist - the 50k (yes, 50k) trail run up there and that they were using all the trails for the race. So that plan is onhold until Tuesday (hopefully). Instead I did an 1:10 minute run (which includes 20min of w/u and c/d) with a lot of hills for my run. Got in 5.65mi with most of it in zone 2 HR. Good workout, pretty day, couldn't have been better (well, except if I had those trails ;) )

That puts my weekly total at 9.25miles.

emily_in_nc
01-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! :D

~Emily

rocknrollgirl
01-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Add on another 3 for me today. That brings my weekly up to 10.5.

Running Mommy
01-27-2007, 06:27 PM
I love it when I see people not let sucky things like asthma get in the way! Glad advair is working for you. My little man (spencer my son) had asthma when he was a wee tike, but I think (thank god) he has grown out of it. Very scary thing to have tho!!
But YES 3 miles DO count!! Heck 1.5 or .5 counts!! It's all relative!!
When I fist started running it was on the treadmill. I would walk for a minute and then run for 30 seconds. I kept increasing my running/decreasing my walking until I could run for a few minutes straight. When I ran my first mile I burst into tears. It was HUGE for me. It then became my goal to run a 10k in honor of my dear grandma (a vip in my life) who I was losing to lung cancer.
I will never forget that race. It was in 1994 a few months after she had passed.
So you see, we all start somewhere. Never belittle your achievements!! There will always be people that can run longer, faster, etc. It's that you are pushing yourself to achieve bigger and better things that matter.
Have a great week! :)
Denise

yellow
01-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Emily--when I was injured and trying to start running again, my mantra was "1 mile is better than zero miles". It doesn't matter how fast or far you go...what matters is that you are out there, whether it's running or swimming or riding or walking or whatever.

As for my week, I had to travel for business so I didn't get to run or ski as much as I would have liked. The air quality is veryveryvery poor in the Salt Lake valley right now, which means that running outside isn't really all that smart (though did I do it anyway this morning? :rolleyes: ). And we haven't had fresh snow lately...and it's a lean snow year to begin with...and it's been warmer "up the hill" than in the valley due to the lovely inversion (which means expedited snow melt), so no more skiing for a while, I think. That makes me very sad. :(

So this week I ran a total of 14.7 miles and skate skied 11.8 miles. My longest run was this morning on the treacherous icy trail, 6.4 miles. My calves are all messed up from wearing stupid shoes all week. :mad:

yellow
01-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Emily, Helen Klein didn't start running until she was in her 50s. And she was a smoker, non athlete, etc. I had the pleasure of getting my butt kicked by her at the CIM in 2002, the day my knee died (she set a world record that day for her age group). Check out her accomplishments:

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/MountainUltraTrail/Klein_Helen.asp

http://www.runnersweb.com/running/rw_news_frameset.html?http://www.runnersweb.com/running/news/rw_news_20061229_RWire_RRCA.html

She is an incredible woman!

Wahine
01-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Just got back from my long run for this week. 10.25 miles on the Historic Columbia River Highway between Hood River and Mosier and back again. It's a beautiful trail open to bikes and foot traffic only. The downside, hills. There's a 5% grade that climbs for almost 2 miles! :eek: My legs are trashed.

After the run DH and I went to a quaint little restaurant for lunch. A burger with bacon and brie cheese for me!! Mmmmmm, so good. I resisted having an appetizer or a beer, so that is actually cutting back, believe it or not. :D

So that makes 22.75 miles for me this week. Next week is a rest week. Just in time. :)

Wahine
01-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Emily, it all starts one step at a time. We have all been there at some point. Just go out and do what you can and try not to be judgemental. I remember when running a 400 in track would nearly kill me. Now I feel like I'm not warmed up until about 2 miles in to a run. Just get out consistently and it will improve. It's awesome that you've done as much as you have already. :D

kelownagirl
01-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Hellooo? So what's this thread all about? Are you posting your miles as a cumulative total or ? And can I join?

I went for my first run ever yesterday. I have never been able to run because I had no cardio fitness to allow me go further than a few hundred feet before I was exhausted. :o So.... I was thinking that since I've been riding all those miles this past year, maybe I can learn to run too? I decided I'd do a walk/run. It was cold, below freezing, dark and icey out - I like to challenge myself :D - so I bundled up and walked for 5 minutes to warm up, with the intention of walking briskly and running for 30-60 seconds in between 2 minutes of walking. Lo and behold, I was able to run for 2 whole minutes before I got bagged! Who knew? I walked for another minute, and then ran two more. Did that for about 20 minutes then a 5 minute cooldown walk. So, my first "run", I went for 30 minutes, and I just measured it with the car and it was 3.5 km - about 2.2 miles. My legs are complaining loudly today but it felt good. I will do it again I think.

And I learned that hills are just as big a pita when you're running, as when you're riding...

Now I just gotta learn how to swim.... :rolleyes:

emily_in_nc
01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
You gals are the greatest...thanks for all the wonderful support! I am definitely only a part-time runner since I do a lot of cross-training. Today, DH and I did a 11.4 mile hike in a state park. Awesome!

My goal is just to stay fit/get fitter and enjoy being active, whether that means mountain biking, road cycling, running, hiking, or whatever. :) I'm definitely a jack of all trades, master of none, but so long as I'm having fun, that's what counts, right?! :p

Emily

runner2
01-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Only 12 miles for me this week, all on the trail, you should give it a try, it's so peaceful and free.

Keep running........

tattiefritter
01-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Only 12 miles for me this week, all on the trail, you should give it a try, it's so peaceful and free.

Keep running........

14 miles for me this week - mainly on road.

Once my road half marathon is over my intention is to get a lot more off road runs in, so roll on March :D . I'm not looking forward to the hills though (well I am, in a perverse sort of way).