PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Squeaking - from lots of use?

equus123
01-19-2007, 10:53 AM
my trainer question or problem seems to be affected by serious time/miles put on my trainer.... Okay, so it seems that I may need to have a piece replaced on my fluid trainer but I wanted to "ask around" to see if anyone else had this problem.

I ride my trainer a lot and usually between 1-2 hours each time I get on. I noticed that a while ago, a little groove began to develop (as well as smoothness) on the metal drum that touches the rear tire. now its to the point that you can definitely feel a big difference between that band that goes around it and the rest of the metal. Also what has annoyed the living hell out of me is that no matter how pumped/flat, cleaned/dry/wet (adding a few drops of water onto the tire while spinning sometimes removes the squeak) my tire is - IT SQUEAKS LOUD AS ALL HELL. So I'm beginning to think that the path worn into the metal is the culprit for the super squeaking. One thing that stinks is that its the type of trainer where only one side is adjustable (the other is fixed), so when you tighten the trainer's hold on the skewer, the tire is in the same spot every time.

Has anybody else had this problem and if so, any remedies??? Thanks :)

equus123
01-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Eden - I deleted the other thread....posted twice by accident.

I've used Vredestein Fortezza and Panaracer Stradius tires on this trainer and same result every time - super loud and high pitch sqeaks 10-20 minutes in.

MissMoni
02-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Have you tried calling the company? Some of them have great customer service and they might even send you a new drum??? Or replace your trainer if it is under warranty.

aicabsolut
02-12-2007, 09:55 PM
What trainer do you have? Is it a CycleOps fluid? They have excellent replacement policies on the resistance units.

spokewench
02-24-2007, 12:03 PM
I have a trainer where the tire rests on the drum - this is the first time I've had this type of trainer in my 20 years of cycling. I'm not sure what kind of noise you are getting, but I got on my trainer after not riding it for a couple of weeks this morning and my tire was making all kinds of noise. All of a sudden it came to me that it was probably because I had a low tire.

And, so, I got the pump and pumped the tire up to its recommended psi and what do you know, the noise stopped!

equus123
02-27-2007, 08:09 AM
it's not a tire pressure issue.

i ended up just tightening the knob tighter than i normally do. the downside now being that i really can't use my 53 in the front because it's already a "hard" resistance trainer. oh well.

violette
03-02-2007, 07:39 AM
I had the same problem on my Kurt Kenitic. My my back tire was squeequing so loud, I changed tires and pumped more air into the new ones. Not a sound, but last night, the noise started again, not as bad as the other tire, but getting there. Tightened the resistance knob, still loud. I don't know what to do. I read other forums and they all say Kurt kenetic is very quiet, so they obviously don't have that problem.

equus123
03-06-2007, 05:52 AM
eek, sorry to hear you have the same stupid problem. :confused: :(

oh well. i bought rollers after xmas this year and i ride them all the time now. only on the stupid trainer once a week for a team spin class at our bike shop. i looooooove my rollers. i don't even know how i rode the trainer like every day beforehand. i can't stand it now! :p

thank heavens for rollers :cool: :D

violette
03-07-2007, 05:10 AM
I had rollers this winter and just loved them! They take a few minutes to get your balance but then you're off to the races. You have to concentrate so hard to stay on them that by the end of the workout, there is a puddle of sweat on the floor. But they don't build any endurance, just balance. They are not a boring a the trainer.

equus123
03-08-2007, 07:15 AM
how do they not build endurance? endurance is accumulated by time on the bike. you can do that on rollers - it's nerve racking - but you can do it. i do 2 hr rides on them with no problem.