PDA

View Full Version : I miss my mtn bike

Tri Girl
01-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Ok, sorry to vent, but I just needed to say that I miss riding him... between the rain and the ice and snow, I haven't gotten to play in weeks. And each time I spend more than a week off my bike I get all scaredy cat and afraid to do the dangerous stunts I like to do. It always takes a few rides to get my confidence back.
I just want to ride... and not on my road bike on the trainer- ick! I want dirt and chain ring tatts and muddy feet.
That is all....

Have fun out there riding ladies and please keep posting about your rides. I'm living vicariously through you right now... :)

Susan126
01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I know your pains Tri Girl! I have them too. Last weekend was a washout . . . errrrr I mean snow and ice out! This weekend is looking promising though. If it's going to be as warm as they say (weathermen) then hubby and I are going out for a much needed ride. Here's to an early spring! :D

fatbottomedgurl
01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Sorry it's too cold and nasty out there for you!
Here's a vicarious ride for you. 13 miles of singletrack in the Santa Monica Mountains, Ventura County, California.

Rode a new (to me) trail with my two girlfriends and one of the DHs. It was about 55 out, not too cold but chilly. We rode a section of very steep up and downs that followed a fence line. Actually, we pushed up and crazily careened down. I ended up with a lovely row of scrapes on my right calf from my big ring when I lost control on one downhill. I was not comfortable with the deep ruts and loose broken rock but managed. We started climbing the back side of what we affectionately call "Space Mountain." (Named after a ride at Disneyland.) Up and up we switchbacked and got a lovely view of the Channel Islands (off the coast of So Cal). We then rode down the portion of Space Mountain (AKA Switchbacks) I was familiar with. Fun, fast, downhill curvy, technical fun stuff. So far 6.5 miles into the ride.
At the bottom we rested a bit and then rode back up, singing crazy nursery rhymes and "A hundred bottles of beer on the wall." We were testing an article in a mag that said singing will regulate your breathing and take your mind off the fear. It worked! I rode the whole thing up for the first time ever, only stopping a couple times for some rocks I couldn't quite clear.
Back down we went, and now walking up the other side of the nasties. On the downs I was trying to not lock my back tire up by feathering the front brakes while braking harder on the rear. I was not comfortable and went down once, but kept going. The last steep spot I released my brakes a little more and got some speed going. I was a little too far behind the saddle, a little out of control, when all of a sudden there was a water bar and a big drop off crossing the trail. I panicked and grabbed the brakes just as I went over. You guessed it...ENDO time. I totally ate it, a complete face plant but thankfully my visor saved me and I didn't bust my nose or teeth. My catapult left me on my back in a tangled heap of legs and bike.
After assessing the damage we rode out, thankful that I didn't need an air-rescue. It was a really bad "agony of defeat" type of crash! We laughed all the way home.
Got an xray of my left hand, haven't gotten word from the radiologist yet, but I think it's just a pinky-jam. I have a huge contusion across my entire lower quad on my left thigh, wrapping around the inside of my knee. I think I came down on the handlebars. So I am icing and elevating and ace-bandaging. My bike...not a scratch.
I was told no bike for a week which is a true bummer because I just picked up my beautiful Project One Trek Fuel EX 9.0. She is hanging out in the living room tempting me to defy doctor's orders. Hmm. Maybe my Trance threw me because he knew he was being replaced. You can never tell with these bikes!
I hope you enjoyed your vicarious trip with me and now we can elevate the leg and have a cup of hot cocoa and dream of rides to come...

Cheers!!!

FBG

rocknrollgirl
01-19-2007, 01:27 AM
I was off my bike for two weeks with an injury to my neck, and funny tri Girl, I had a loss of MoJo too. We rode Wed night and one of the guys commented that I was being less than my normal aggressive self.

Loss of the MoJo I told him, from being off the bike. I felt fine by the end of the ride, but it is weird.

Tri Girl
01-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Loss of the MoJo I told him, from being off the bike. I felt fine by the end of the ride, but it is weird.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, beccause I always feel wimpy when I get back on and am all cautiously fearful of things that normally wouldn't scare me. Nice to know others feel that way, too.

FBG-
Thanks for the story! I loved your detail and was excitedly reading along until the part about the crash. Yikes! :eek: I'm glad you're OK, but you sound pretty beaten up. I hope you heal quickly (and don't let that bike talk you out too early- she doesn't bend and break like you ;) ). Sounds like some tough singletrack with some crazy descents (and ascents for that matter). Good for you for overcoming some of the tough spots. Next time you'll tear it up, and since you'll know what to expect you can be ready for those insane drops. My hats off to you!

Susan-
I hope it dries out this weekend so you can get back on that bike! Not only do you have to wait for the snow/ice to melt, but then the trails always need a day or two to dry out. Oh, the waiting game it plays with us.... I hope you ride soon!

Have fun out there ladies!

bouncybouncy
01-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Yeah...feeling the pain here too! Not cause of bad weather (although it is getting chili) ...on the mend from a broken wrist! I have been riding the trainer without a wristguard and feeling good...range of motion is still limited and mild pain when stretching or putting pressure on it (like when I am gripping the mtbike handlebars) Seems like the road bike position on the hoods is not as painful as flatbar grip :rolleyes:

I am VERY nervous to get back out there and tackle the stuff I know is easy but with my trusty coach (DH) I am sure I will be doing them in no time...I am going to have a very hard time riding the hill that took me down...I think I will put that one off for a few weeks after I am back in the saddle to regain a bit of nerves first!

I will be missing a race I have looked forward to for over a year...but I am trying to look on the bright side and live vicariously through my friends and be the support that is so welcomed by racers!

Keep up the positive attitudes girls...I think we all benefit from the others!!!

fatbottomedgurl
01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Bouncy Bouncy didn't bounce but broke!:(
So sorry but glad to hear you're on the mend. Spring is coming... and glorious rides with flowers and birds and...well, you know.

mimitabby
01-19-2007, 06:29 AM
My bike is sitting in my office with new tires on, all ready to go. It keeps saying "wanna go? wanna go? wanna go?"

and i sadly pat it as I walk by.

han-grrl
01-19-2007, 06:43 AM
I can't even do a spin on the indoor trainer, let alone go for a ride...so i too miss the circular motion of my feet...

the surgeon said it will be two months before i can resume training again...

sigh...

bouncybouncy
01-19-2007, 08:10 AM
i did not know ulcers could inhibit training! can you do yoga or weight-lifting?

hope you heal fast!!!

han-grrl
01-19-2007, 09:32 AM
my ucler actually ruptured. so i had surgery. 15 lovely staples from my boob to my belly button, so i need to wait until my abs heal till i can do anything...

emily_in_nc
01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
.I was told no bike for a week which is a true bummer because I just picked up my beautiful Project One Trek Fuel EX 9.0. She is hanging out in the living room tempting me to defy doctor's orders. Hmm. Maybe my Trance threw me because he knew he was being replaced. You can never tell with these bikes!
FBG

SO sorry to hear about your crash and the other broken folks on this thread. In the interest of cheering us all up, maybe you could post pictures of your amazing new bike!!!!

Pretty please???? :confused: :D

Hope everyone heals up fast!

Emily

P.S. I rode my mtb on Sunday for the first time since Oct. and was nervous and very, very careful. Much wimpier than usual (and I am always wimpy!) but I truly didn't want to fall, and didn't. It was fun to get out, but I can tell it's going to take awhile to feel normal riding again this spring!

Susan126
01-20-2007, 07:05 AM
I feel bad for everyone recovering from injuries! I wish all of you a speedy healing and hope that everyone will soon be back on your saddles asap. Now if only the weather would cooperate!

Tri Girl, no it's not going to dry out this weekend but at least there won't be snow coming down, just rain. Sooooooo . . . tomorrow hubby and a friend of ours are going out for a fun mountain bike ride in the mud!!!! I'll try and remember to take a pictures! Maybe before and after pictures because I think it will be a mud fest! But who cares!!!! I need to ride! I hope everyone has a great weekend! Please report if you do ride! Would love to hear about it! :D

mimitabby
01-20-2007, 07:09 AM
S
I was told no bike for a week which is a true bummer because I just picked up my beautiful Project One Trek Fuel EX 9.0. She is hanging out in the living room tempting me to defy doctor's orders. Hmm. Maybe my Trance threw me because he knew he was being replaced. You can never tell with these bikes!
I hope you enjoyed your vicarious trip with me and now we can elevate the leg and have a cup of hot cocoa and dream of rides to come...

Cheers!!!

FBG

Uh, is this the bike you designed???

Susan126
01-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Change of plans! Another friend called, we are going mountain bike RIGHT NOW! Going to Banner Forest near Gig Harbor! Yippee! :D

Tri Girl
01-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Have fun, Susan! :D

snowtulip
01-20-2007, 01:52 PM
We've had snow, mud and ice for five weeks now!!! No mountain biking (slowly losing my sanity as well), so like others, I am living vicariously through you all! We will be heading to AZ again next week, so I will definately ride then (unless the snow follows me).:D

Susan126
01-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Have fun, Susan! :D

I did . . . I did . . . I did have FUN! What a gorgeous day (we deserved it after all the snow and ice and wind and power outages we've been receiving). Went out yesterday with my husband and two of his guy friends. The trails at Banner Forest were sweet. You would never have known we had so much rain. These trails were damp but not muddy. Yes there were a few "mud holes" but other than that the trails were awesome and the ride . . . no words to describe it. The sun was streaming through the forest and it was so surreal. It lifted my spirits and I felt high after the ride! :D I hope only the same for everyone out there. Rides like the one I had yesterday!

trail_mommy
02-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey there!!! It's freezing here!!! Would you believe dh and I got a new Titus Moto Lite after a long 2 month wait for waiting on the frame, then the build kit, then getting it built and it's never been to the trails yet :( It's really sad. I haven't bought my shoes for the clipless pedals yet-a little scared about that lol;) Can't wait till this weather gets better! I'm itchin to go!!!!

Susan126
02-03-2007, 05:54 AM
Oh Jennifer . . . I feel for you! I hope your weather improves so that you can get that new bike out on the trails and get some "dirt" on it! :D

The clipless pedals are a personal choice and takes a bit of a "breaking in period" . . . when I first got my clipless pedals years ago (1999) I remember my first few weeks. My poor knees! But now it's so second nature I can unclip as I'm falling and jump off my bike and watch it go without me as I stand on the side of the trail! :D

Speaking of riding . . . dh and me are riding this morning with a group of friends in about . . . 3 1/2 hours! I'm up early filling up on my morning caffeine quota! :rolleyes:

Tri Girl
02-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Trail Mommy- how are ya???

Once this weather warms up, I'll contact you and we can go riding. Just sick of the cold and wet.....
And go get those clipless shoes!!! The difference is amazing, you'll be able to pull up on those pedals when going uphill- a definite advantage!!!

Hope to see you soon!!!

fatbottomedgurl
02-03-2007, 01:19 PM
I hear you! But we are having glorious weather- sunny and gorgeous. But... just as I was almost recovered from my endo to ride my new bike...I got in a nasty car accident. T boned in the drivers door. So my mild concussion and screwed up back its been back to the chiropractor and no cycling. The silver lining is that because I am athletic and fit I will heal fast. I will, I WILL!

At least the lady hit me and not all the children who had either just crossed or were ready to cross the intersection when she came flying through the stop sign.

Tri Girl
02-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Glad you're OK FBG!!!! How scary!!! :eek:
Hopefully you'll heal very quickly and get back out there!

Susan126
02-04-2007, 08:24 AM
I hear you! But we are having glorious weather- sunny and gorgeous. But... just as I was almost recovered from my endo to ride my new bike...I got in a nasty car accident. T boned in the drivers door. So my mild concussion and screwed up back its been back to the chiropractor and no cycling. The silver lining is that because I am athletic and fit I will heal fast. I will, I WILL!

At least the lady hit me and not all the children who had either just crossed or were ready to cross the intersection when she came flying through the stop sign.

Oh my God, . . . how terrible for you! I hope and pray that you will recover without any problems and that you will be back on your bike soon. Well wishes for a speedy recovery! Please keep us up to date on your recovery.

emily_in_nc
02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
FBG, you have had some really bad luck lately, poor thing!

Thank goodness you have such a gorgeous bike to have something great to look forward to when you're finally back in the saddle.

Wishing you a quick recovery (again) and no more accidents - bike or car!

Emily