PDA

View Full Version : playing with fire: Mondonico, Pegoretti

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Today it's slow here at work and I was doing some serious web cruising.

Still looking for Steel, hopefully Italian. Then I make the mistake of writing to two of the outfits: one being: Smart cycles in Connecticut. They write back instantly with a frame they want me to look at: (Yes, I can have it in Orange)
It's made by Mondonico (one of 3 my size left EVER made by Antonio who is retired)
http://www.smartcycles.com/images/womens20.gif

While wasting time I also found a website for a bike shop in Moab Utah

http://www.dreambike.com/images/830AM.jpg

They sell Pegoretti bikes. These are the coolest looking bikes I've ever seen.
And both guys thought they could set me up with a frame that would fit me. He wrote to Dario
right away for a quote!!!

Good grief, what am I thinking, another sight-unseen sale? Do I trust the measurements that Eric Moen gave me and just buy a frame? and if i buy a frame, what bike shop in town is going to build it for me? They all like to do their own stuff and I'm not sure I could stand the sneering.

DebW
01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
What a beautiful chrome fork on the Pegoretti. And how could you possibly turn down one of 3 Mondonico frames in your size EVER made by Antonio? If I tell you to buy both, then you'll feel like you're being conservative when you buy only one. :D

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Deb, you're good.
The Pegoretti costs twice as much as the Mondonico (1k vs 2k, plus whatever
other !!! costs that i don't know about)
any thoughts on how to get it built up if i actually did it?

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
the chrome is on the Mondonico actually.

DebW
01-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Get the complete specs on both frames (angles, tubing, trail, bb drop, etc.). See if one fits you better than the other.

Why not have the shop you buy the frame from build it up?

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Well, here's why I probably wouldn't get the Pegoretti built by that shop:

Have Lee Bridgers build up your Pegoretti for an additional $3950. The build includes packing and shipping anywhere in the 48 states and our supremely upscale RoadMAX component group, based on Dura Ace shifting, cranks and brakes, an FSA K-Wing handlebar (options for more traditional bars are available), Moots stem and post, a choice of saddles and a handbuilt wheelset constructed from Mavic's best road rims, DT spokes and Chris King hubs color-matched to the frame. Custom kits designed to specifically match the performance and balance the fine art cosmetics of a specific frame are also available. Lee has decided that Pegoretti and Moots are the ONLY road frames worthy of this kind of attention.

!!!!
now we're into it 6 grand... at least!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:
I don't want to spend THAT much

DebW
01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
the chrome is on the Mondonico actually.

In that case, I'm absolutely in love with the Mondonico. You need that bike, and it's only 1K.

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
the Pegoretti guy hasn't sent me photos yet.
We'll just have to see.
and my DH hasn't gotten HIS bike yet, which was supposed to be done in early December. I don't want to initiate anything until he's safely on top of his new bike!

Velobambina
01-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I love that Mondonico! Do they do custom work or is it all standard (non-WSD) sizing? I need either custom or WSD because of the reach issue. Of course, I'm not really in the market for a new ride and I think my next "dream" bike will be titanium.

Mimi--if you decide to get the frame and build it up, don't scrimp if you can afford it. I went with Campy Chorus (carbon compact crank) on my Luna Orbit and it was worth every dollar.

Eden
01-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Anyone who sneers at building a new frame up for you isn't worth the time. The guy down the street from me did my build for the Hyak - no sneering involved. I'm sure he'd love a nice Italian steel frame to work on. Buliding up a bike isn't too terribly cheap though..... I put mostly Shimano 105 stuff on my Hyak and I already had the wheels and the brifters and it still cost about $900. To go Campy would be more than that.

A couple places I think would probably be sneer free
20/20 Cyles on Union Street (the one I had my bike built at)
Recycled Cycles - in the U District
Montlake Bicycle Shop - Montlake Blvd
Second Ascent - Ballard

emily_in_nc
01-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Anyone who sneers at building a new frame up for you isn't worth the time. The guy down the street from me did my build for the Hyak - no sneering involved. I'm sure he'd love a nice Italian steel frame to work on. Buliding up a bike isn't too terribly cheap though..... I put mostly Shimano 105 stuff on my Hyak and I already had the wheels and the brifters and it still cost about $900. To go Campy would be more than that.

Yes indeedy - what she said. I bought a BARGAIN Aegis Swift frame and fork off eBay (never built, 1999 model) in late 2003 and had it built up in early 2004. I chose the Campy Chorus group, and at the time there were no compact cranksets made by Campy so I had to spring extra for the FSA carbon pro compact crankset. I already had pedals and saddle, so the rest was seatpost (nothing too fancy as the diameter was too small for carbon, and I needed setback so just went with a moderate aluminum model), handlebars (Salsa Pocos), stem, and Mavic Kysirum Elite wheelset. Cost for the build was $2450 -- and that was three years ago. Just a datapoint for you. She was a dream bike, but any time you build a bike from scratch, it's gonna cost you. It's worth it if the bike fits like a dream and is perfect for you!

My Aegis is very close to the purply color of the Mondonico. That's a gorgeous bike!

Emily

Trek420
01-15-2007, 04:42 PM
mimitabby "It's made by Mondonico (one of 3 my size left EVER made by Antonio who is retired)"

Mimi, if you're a 47 cm I have one of these triplets :D Who here has the other one?

I love mine, get the Mondonico. :cool:

I guess like Rivs you'll find most who have them heard about it from someone who loves the bike.

KnottedYet
01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/KnottedYet/DSCN0308.jpg

Waterford and Mondonico. (the Man himself measured Trek for this bike!)

I didn't get a good close-up, sorry Mimi, but I will tell you this is ONE GORGEOUS BIKE! And very light! and waaaaay too small for me, though I did try to ride it.

(dare I say it might even be as lovely as Flossie? ;) )

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 05:48 PM

A couple places I think would probably be sneer free
20/20 Cyles on Union Street (the one I had my bike built at)
Recycled Cycles - in the U District
Montlake Bicycle Shop - Montlake Blvd
Second Ascent - Ballard

Thank you Eden. I am seriously considering that Mondonico.It's a WSD frame
and one of the last made by the old man who is retiring!
I didn't mean there were only 3 that he ever built, i meant there were only 3 left
apparently ... because this shop has all of them?

Trek420
01-15-2007, 06:30 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/KnottedYet/DSCN0308.jpg

Waterford and Mondonico. (the Man himself measured Trek for this bike!)

The master is retired but his son will carry on, the third generation Italian builder I think.

I met his son then too, cute!! :D :cool: :rolleyes: (If you like that kinda thing, dark Italian men, into bikes...).

Fear not TE gals, there will be more!!

I chose the chrome fork, we went for the look of "classic old steel bike with fancy new stuff".

I've seen them with matching carbon front fork and rear triangle...sweet!

Most are shocked when they pick it up that it's steel.

Of the off bikes my size (47 cm) I've tried take your pick of:
slanting top tube
toe overlap
smaller wheels or
some combo of any two.

Antonio himself said "it will have a slanting top tube is that ok?"

Well, he spoke Italian so it may have been "Am I really building this marvel of Italian engineering for that chubby 50 year old?"

anyway look at her next to Flossie...if the top tube slants I don't see it, full size wheels and NO toe overlap.

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 06:58 PM
The master is retired but his son will carry on, the third generation Italian builder I think.

I met his son then too, cute!! :D :cool: :rolleyes: (If you like that kinda thing, dark Italian men, into bikes...).

Fear not TE gals, there will be more!!

I chose the chrome fork, we went for the look of "classic old steel bike with fancy new stuff".

I've seen them with matching carbon front fork and rear triangle...sweet!

Most are shocked when they pick it up that it's steel.

Of the off bikes my size (47 cm) I've tried take your pick of:
slanting top tube
toe overlap
smaller wheels or
some combo of any two.

Antonio himself said "it will have a slanting top tube is that ok?"

Well, he spoke Italian so it may have been "Am I really building this marvel of Italian engineering for that chubby 50 year old?"

anyway look at her next to Flossie...if the top tube slants I don't see it, full size wheels and NO toe overlap.

wow, thanks for sharing your story. I know Antonio made this frame, but he didn't make it expressly for me. Yes, I love dark, Italian men (to look at) I would have loved to have met them. I actually have an address for their shop and might look them up when we're in Italy next. What do you mean
"of the off bikes my size"
so do you have toe overlap or smaller wheels? I am not clear on that.

Trek420
01-15-2007, 07:12 PM
mimitabby "What do you mean
"of the off bikes my size""

I mean like Trek, Cannondale, Specialized...my old namesake Trek had full size wheels and steeply sloped top tube....not that there's anything wrong with that, it was a nice bike.

"so do you have toe overlap or smaller wheels? I am not clear on that."

I tend to not take sharp fast turns but I've noticed no toe overlap and those are full size wheels! I think it's more of a cyclecross issue.

Knott, you're about 5'8"? I'm 5'1" look at the wheels side by side, both full size

Not that there's anything wrong with 650 wheels. :D

Antonio used to come to the states every other year, visit the shops that carry his bikes and you could meet him, he'd measure you for a bike. :D Maybe his son will do this too?

If you want "chairman Bill", the Torelli importer co. owners e-mail adress to ask about this, let me know.

Check the website if he's doing this the schedule will be there but if that bike fits .... I'd get it!

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Trek, You are only 5'1"!? I didn't realize that. Well, the bike i am looking at is a 48cm (my Bianchi is a 49cm and I am almost 3" taller than you. So I start to obsess..)
Do you have little feet?

Trek420
01-15-2007, 07:41 PM
7.5 in most shoes
38-39 in bike shoes

at times when my bike's been in the shop Chris puts me on a 50 cm Della Santa (he'll swap the stem so I can reach, such a great guy!)

uh oh, here's another bike

www.dellasanta.com

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 07:44 PM
oh good, average feet!

Thank you for all your help.

KnottedYet
01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Trek, You are only 5'1"!? I didn't realize that. Well, the bike i am looking at is a 48cm (my Bianchi is a 49cm and I am almost 3" taller than you. So I start to obsess..)
Do you have little feet?

yeah, she's a shrimp. A shrimp with biiiiiig feet....:D

(oh, wait, no, she's a squid. A giiiiiiiiiiant squid!)

Knot-being-naughty

KnottedYet
01-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Whoa, Mimi! Check this out!

http://www.dellasanta.com/index.php?do=photos&which=Misc&image=OhstDellaSantaA_2_1.JPG

mimitabby
01-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Whoa, Mimi! Check this out!

http://www.dellasanta.com/index.php?do=photos&which=Misc&image=OhstDellaSantaA_2_1.JPG

You are obviously messing with me! ARGH!!

Knot, these are beautiful bikes, but nothing is said about designs for women.
I am warming up to the idea of buying a frame and as I can afford, start building it.
I've gotten lots of nice emails from the man in Connecticut.

KnottedYet
01-16-2007, 05:44 AM
If someone builds a custom frame to your dimensions, that'd be a design for women (woman) right? So maybe a full custom frame, custom paint job, custom specific components.... ;)

(just the devil on your shoulder, whispering into your ear!:D )

I think the Mondonico is your destiny. Italian, fully lugged steel, gorgeous, your size, made by Antonio. Plus then you and Trek could form your own little Mondonico sub-set in TE!

The Mondonico really is a beautiful bike, not kidding.

mimitabby
01-16-2007, 05:57 AM
I believe you, Knot. I am waiting for the guy in COnnecticut to write back to me and tell me what kind of tires and fenders could go under one of those gorgeous columbus forks..
DH is okay with it.. Now if i could just use a layaway plan..

roguedog
01-16-2007, 07:42 AM
mimi - there's also elliot bay cycles near you. they build custom frames and i'm pretty sure they'd build up your bike near you. they seem like a decent shop. they are one of the few carriers for rivendell, anyway.

http://www.elliottbaybicycles.com/direction.html

maybe you already have seen one in person, but looks like alki bike and board carries mondonico's in your area if you just wanna look and see and maybe ride one. course it prob won't be the same one but it's something to touch..

http://alkibikeandboard.com/bikes.htm

ps.. we are all very naughty, wicked people...

Bad JuJu
01-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Mimi, it really sounds like the Mondonico is everything you've been looking for--and I share your love of the classic lugged steel frame. I just wonder whether there's some way you can be sure it'll be the right fit for you. I mean, I know you had a professional fitting (didn't you?), but you can't test-ride a fitting, or a frame. Jeez, I hate to rain on your parade, but, well, I'm just thinking of things that would concern me, were I in your (cycling) shoes.

mimitabby
01-16-2007, 09:04 AM
mimi - there's also elliot bay cycles near you. they build custom frames and i'm pretty sure they'd build up your bike near you. they seem like a decent shop. they are one of the few carriers for rivendell, anyway.

http://www.elliottbaybicycles.com/direction.html

maybe you already have seen one in person, but looks like alki bike and board carries mondonico's in your area if you just wanna look and see and maybe ride one. course it prob won't be the same one but it's something to touch..

http://alkibikeandboard.com/bikes.htm

ps.. we are all very naughty, wicked people...
You certainly are all very naughty wicked people. :eek:
Elliott Bay is the LBS who are building my husband's bike RIGHT AS WE SPEAK! They are campy experts, so it is very likely that i will take my frame to them... If i get it.
You are SOOOOO helpful, let me tell you.
and thanks for the info about Alkibike and board, I'll have to go by there if this weather ever comes to its senses.

mimitabby
01-16-2007, 03:32 PM
I bought the frame and the fork:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DebW
01-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Congratulations! We're proud of you, Mimi, for bringing a new addition to our family of bikes and riders. We know you and the Mondonico will be very happy together.

mimitabby
01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Do you know, i might get this before my husband gets HIS BIKE?!?!?
(That he ordered in 0ctober?!??!)

Trek420
01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I bought the frame and the fork:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Belisima!! (sp?) :D Wool, Italian Steel....resistance is futile :p

emily_in_nc
01-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Awesome, Mimi - congratulations! Did you get the purple? Or orange? Either will be gorgeous. You'll have to let us know how you decide to build it up, and of course you'll post many pictures when you get it.

Very exciting! :)

Emily

mimitabby
01-16-2007, 05:14 PM
Orange, Emily; Pearly Orange

When I figured out that to get an Italian frame and fork cost less than to get a local guy to do it, (and he was going to have co-motion make the frame),
I decided that this was a deal I didn't want to pass up.

Trek420
01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Is that the Molteni orange I see?

KnottedYet
01-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Yay, Mimi! I can't wait to see it! :D

roguedog
01-16-2007, 08:38 PM
OMG, Mimi.. congrats!! I can't believe you did it!

Oooh.. I really like the orange. Course.. you know that since I hope that my Bridgestone ends up looking like it's suppose to.

Trek.. do you feel like you've got a new "cousin"?

Trek420
01-16-2007, 08:41 PM
yes! :D who says we don't recruit ;) :cool: :rolleyes: JK

Mimi you will love your bike and I look forward to hearing all about every stage of the build.

SouthernBelle
01-17-2007, 05:22 AM
Yay! Another convert to the orange club. Now you must buy much orange wool. And a nice orange jacket.

KnottedYet
01-17-2007, 05:26 AM
Here ya go, Mimi! An orange wool cycling jersey to go with your new orange bike. (and it's Ibex to go with your Ibex knickers!)

http://www.ibexwear.com/F06/View_Product.php?GarmentID=670&thePhoto=../Photos/F06/2056_5494.jpg&Category=1050&CategoryLine=

mimitabby
01-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Oh, Ladies, i am not a "convert" to orange.
I already have an orange short sleeve jersey, an orange print short sleeve jersey, a longsleeved hoody jersey (orange, but has no pockets so i don't wear it much), a beautiful longsleeved insulated orange jersey, my new orange (goldenrod) raincoat, an orange helmet, and orange socks.

But I have wanted an orange bike for a very long time.

I am wearing orange today!

7rider
01-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Ooo, fun. Adding to the stable!
Congrats on the beee-utiful ride!
Looking forward to seeing pix of the finished bike. Okay, alongside your DH's, too (if/when it comes in - what did he get?)!

Bad JuJu
01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
OK, so even though my original post in this thread sounded a bit hesitant (to say the least :rolleyes: ), let me jump up on this bandwagon right now, because it's always SOOOO exciting to be getting a new bike! Jeez, I'm salivating over that pearly orange, Mimi. Keep us posted on the process!

Bad JuJu
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
But Mimi, will you still be a Team TE Bianchista? :confused: :confused: :confused:

mimitabby
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Ooo, fun. Adding to the stable!
Congrats on the beee-utiful ride!
Looking forward to seeing pix of the finished bike. Okay, alongside your DH's, too (if/when it comes in - what did he get?)!

DH is getting a Davidson custom job, with lots of chrome, a generator hub,
every single detail attended to. his "life bike" as it were. It will be completely lugged and detailed. It will look like a 1957 chrysler I think. It's mostly black with some red. (and a red selle anatomica saddle)

mimitabby
01-17-2007, 01:58 PM
But Mimi, will you still be a Team TE Bianchista? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I don't see why not! I must tell you some of the Bianchistas on the website sent me photos of Bianchis that they no longer own, but still love.

Bad JuJu
01-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't see why not!
Well, all right then. I feel much better now!:D

emily_in_nc
01-17-2007, 05:01 PM
I think I saw some orange tires in my Colorado Cyclist catalog! Of course, they'd only work if you're going with 700c wheels -- are you?

Can't wait to see pics of the new ride when you get it. Congratulations again!

Emily

KnottedYet
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's a politically charged orange bike messenger bag. And it's cheap! I'm thinking of getting the blue one.

http://hrccornerstore.myimagefirst.com/store/product.asp?sku=11315&id=596&mscssid=2K1GMHHQBHWK9MWGBNVK422CJAH3D1S0

mimitabby
01-17-2007, 08:07 PM
I think I saw some orange tires in my Colorado Cyclist catalog! Of course, they'd only work if you're going with 700c wheels -- are you?

Emily

Emily, not sure about the wheels. Probably 700 yes. A coworker came in with those tires on his bike. I about died! they are beautiful!

Knot, i already have an orange and black backpack that I carry :D

Triskeliongirl
01-19-2007, 08:02 PM
I've been busy at work and just saw this thread now. BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!! She is lovely............. As you know I recently went through buying and building a frame, so PM me if you need any help. To cut costs, you could ask them to transfer as much as possible from your bianchi, and then sell that frame. Another way to cut costs is to buy gently used parts on ebay. Here, lots of LBS are happy to build a bike when you bring them a frame and parts for ~$100. Its still $100 more business for them than they would have had if you didn't ask them to do it, and of course they hope if they do a good job you'll bring your bike in for regular service visits.

mimitabby
01-19-2007, 08:21 PM
wow, Trisk, 100 dollars! that's terrific!

I have not decided whether or not I want to tear down the Bianchi or not.
it's finally configured the way I want it. Of course, it's the only bike I have right now. It will be tricky. We'll see.

I plan on calling around at a couple of shops to see how much they charge. Gee, 100 dollars. maybe i ought to come down and visit YOU!

But yes, I will IM you for help, thanks for the offer.

Triskeliongirl
01-19-2007, 08:36 PM
wow, Trisk, 100 dollars! that's terrific!

That assumes you bring them ALL the parts, including cables. I even had them transfer the parts from one frame to the next, and that is what they charged (so they also had to remove parts) but the new bike did have the fork and headset installed. The parts could cost you another $1000 or more..........

DebW
01-20-2007, 04:38 AM
I have not decided whether or not I want to tear down the Bianchi or not.
it's finally configured the way I want it. Of course, it's the only bike I have right now. It will be tricky. We'll see.

Mimi, it really make sense to use the Bianchi's wheels. If you want to ride the Bianchi again, just swap the wheels back. You can always get another set of wheels later. And start looking for sales. Nashbar has 15% off on all drive systems now. eBay has a whole section of vintage parts if you want some classic Campy stuff.

$100 sounds like a great price on a bike build, TG.

SouthernBelle
01-20-2007, 04:54 AM

Emily

Check out my thread on my orange Contis, which are here and pretty. Just not on the bike for a while.

mimitabby
01-20-2007, 05:36 AM
That assumes you bring them ALL the parts, including cables. I even had them transfer the parts from one frame to the next, and that is what they charged (so they also had to remove parts) but the new bike did have the fork and headset installed. The parts could cost you another $1000 or more..........

I am thinking it will cost about 2K to buy the parts. I want CAMPY; and I am thinking Centaur. (it's the best they make before everything turns to composite and ridiculously expensive).

Changing the wheels from the Veloce is a great idea, Deb, because they are easy enough to swap back and forth. (unlike a lot of the other stuff)

SouthernBelle, I will look for that thread, thanks

roguedog
01-20-2007, 08:23 AM
hey mimi.. when you're all shopped out and knowledgeable.. pass it onto me!!

i gotta go talk to some folks about removing paint today.. :) or i'm gonna try the dawn.. goo off thing..

Triskeliongirl
01-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I am thinking it will cost about 2K to buy the parts. I want CAMPY; and I am thinking Centaur. (it's the best they make before everything turns to composite and ridiculously expensive).

Changing the wheels from the Veloce is a great idea, Deb, because they are easy enough to swap back and forth. (unlike a lot of the other stuff)

SouthernBelle, I will look for that thread, thanks

I don't think it will cost that much if you are willing to shop around for internet sales, and use some gently used parts. I agree on the wheel thing though. Even if you decide to keep your veloce as a spare bike/commuter, you don't need such fancy wheels, and you can always upgrade them later when you recover from this initial big purchase. Can you post the geometry specs of this bike. I am curious, always looking for a pretty bike that might fit me.....

mimitabby
01-20-2007, 09:38 AM
all i know right now is 48cm height and 50.5cm top tube.

emily_in_nc
01-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Just chiming in to say that my LBS also did my bike build for $100 three years ago. I took them the frame and fork I'd bought on ebay, but I bought everything else through them including Campy Chorus gruppo (except saddle and pedals), so I am sure they made a lot more on me than the $100 with the markup on the parts (even though they gave me a 10% "good customer" discount)!

~Emily

Triskeliongirl
01-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Just chiming in to say that my LBS also did my bike build for $100 three years ago. ... ~Emily

I think that is a fairly standard price, and I have gotten that twice now at 2 different bike shops. In fact, the newer shop recommends as a routine maintenace that you periodically strip, clean and rebuild your bike. Shops understand that not everyone can pay full bike shop prices for brand new parts, and that sometimes they need to use gently used parts bought on ebay, or transfer parts from another bike. So while they WOULD love to sell you all the parts to, they are generally more than happy to make $100 on a service job. But, if its a shop constantly building $5000 bikes, you may not be given a high priority. This is what I was told the first time I did it, and didn't get the bike back for 3 weeks. The second time around I used a shop that specializes in SERVICE (they also sell nice italian steel bikes, but aren't soo busy with new bike sales), and got the bike back in 24 hours, with all the parts cleaned, wheel hubs rebuilt, etc. I have continued to bring all the bikes in my house in to them for service, so they did get a regular customer out of it, even if they didn't get to sell me a bike or any parts.

mimitabby
01-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I finally got the courage to call the bike shop in Ct, not a LBS but a DistantBS...DBS..
"How's my bike?"
"It's still at the paint shop."
" So where's the paint shop?"
"The paint shop is in California" !!!!!!!
"oh.. So when it's done in California, what happens?"
It goes back to Connecticut!!"

he says "I TOLD you it would take 3 to 4 weeks", (I heard "about 3 weeks"
and this means 4-6 weeks, since I live in the state of washington!)
Considering the frame came from Italy, this means this bike will have over 16,000 airmiles on it before I get it!

sigh ..

BleeckerSt_Girl
01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Not that unusual....my DH's Rivendell frame was made in Japan, shipped to CA, then went to Boston area, then back to CA, then back to Boston where it finally got built up in Boston and we picked it up there and brought it back home to NY. :rolleyes:

Trek420
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Torelli/Mondonico are all painted in LA unless you specifiy Italian paint.

The Italian paint jobs are more brilliant in color but thinner coat and tend to be less sturdy. What they call "American paint" is done in LA and may last longer. Mine was done here.

If only I got my bikes frequent flier miles! :p

mimitabby
01-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Not that unusual....my DH's Rivendell frame was made in Japan, shipped to CA, then went to Boston area, then back to CA, then back to Boston where it finally got built up in Boston and we picked it up there and brought it back home to NY. :rolleyes:

WOW!

Trek, i opted for the American Paint. i wanted the pearlescent thing