PDA

View Full Version : Ok.. I think I'm crazy

roguedog
01-14-2007, 08:55 PM
A year ago.. I didn't bike ride... now I have a nice road bike but I want to have a bike for commuting and riding about town.

I always wanted steel.. so I've been looking for a nice steel bike, preferably "vintage." You know how hard that is when you're my height (5'3)??

Well, ideally I wanted a complete bike but then a great frame came up in my size. So I went to go check it out. Turns out he left it at home but then I saw he also has another nice bike (complete and steel, 531).

I am now contemplating buying both???? I'm crazy.. What have you all done to me? I've also found a bike mechanics course which I think I'm going to take.

And I'm having so much fun. I'm looking forward (ignorantly??) to dinking around on the bike and figuring it out and making something nice from not much.

Um.. ok.. some background for those of you who don't think I can handle a screwdriver. In jr high school (a *cough* few years ago) I had shop for 3 years and was 1 of 2 who were certified to weld. I enjoy dinking around.. well, really it's learning for me. It's how I figured out computers. 2 years ago I learned how to build my own bookcase (it's not perfect but its holding my books). Funny thing is.. I'm scared but excited by the whole build a bike thing... I think my biggest obstacle will be my own inertia.

roguedog
01-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Ok.. since I'm crazy anyway.. I'll keep talking to myself....

ACK! The world is trying to torment me.. weeks.. of NOTHING and I just checked CL and there's like 2-3 bikes my size.... Cruel world.

Velobambina
01-15-2007, 01:47 AM
I'm all for having multiple bikes, at least two in case one is in the hospital or something. One bike can be your designated "bad weather" bike, too.

DebW
01-15-2007, 06:51 AM
roguedog, I approve. Buy the bike and frame and have fun. Once you build up your own bike from scratch, there will be nothing that you can't do in terms of maintenance.

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Roguedog, you and I are in the same exact page.
I still have my cross bike and my really nice Bianchi Veloce, but i want a custom steel bike (i am 3/4 of an inch taller than you are)
I found this guy nearby who makes a bike that sounds like what i want. But he doesn't have a retail store, he does it all out of his garage, so since I am not ready to plunk down 500 bucks, I am embarrassed to waste his time. (In a retail store I could buy a new light or some socks!)

Meanwhile, I am looking on Craig's List in hopes of something really incredible showing up. My sister and her husband went to an auction and he bought a 1999 Bianchi Volpe 27 speed BURGUNDY steel bike. It is gorgeous, 170 bucks!

And I was trying to talk DH into taking a class with me about derailleurs.

scary!
you can write to me about what bikes you are liking, and i can do the same with you; misery loves company. that's bike lust!

snapdragen
01-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Go for it RD!

Where's the class you're going to take?

roguedog
01-15-2007, 07:11 AM
mimi - you have a pm with cl temptations

i'm going to go pick up/look at the frame today and then see if temptation leads me to buy the whole bike.

frame is a bridgestone xo-1 and the bike is a trek 620. here's my rationale -- if i build the xo-1 it'll probably be my pride and joy so then i'm in the same boat as i currently am where i don't want my bike stolen to screwed with.. that's what the trek is for...??? how can i pass up an xo-1 frame in my size? it's calling to me....

oh.. and my other constraint was to not spend more than 100 - 200 bucks

mimitabby
01-15-2007, 07:16 AM
wow, I just read about the bridgestone. if it's your size, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity for you. learn as you build!
:)

roguedog
01-15-2007, 07:30 AM
snap.. freewheel in the city is teaching a couple courses. it's 2 sundays for 100 and 6 months of use of their self help shop.

do you know if there's a self help type of place down in peninsula or south bay?

snapdragen
01-15-2007, 08:14 AM
snap.. freewheel in the city is teaching a couple courses. it's 2 sundays for 100 and 6 months of use of their self help shop.

do you know if there's a self help type of place down in peninsula or south bay?

I've never heard of one - that would be cool.

divingbiker
01-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I'll join the two of you in your craziness. I'm going this afternoon to look at a lovely pink Bridgestone mixte. http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/bik/262513802.html

If it fits and seems to be in good condition (thank you DebW for all your help on figuring out what that means), I'll use it to learn on as I make it into a commuting bike. I'm looking into bike repair/maintenance classes, too.

It's really an addiction, isn't it? I've got four bikes in my basement already (one I'm storing for a neighbor) and I just started riding a year and a half ago. What's one more?

Roguedog, there's a Bridgestone e-mail list (iBOB--internet Bridgestone Owners Bunch) that I joined to ask a few questions about the Mixte. They're very helpful. Just in case you buy the frame. http://www.bikelist.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-bob

roguedog
01-15-2007, 09:09 AM
thanks divingbiker.. ya i was checking them out this weekend for advice, etc.

now i have that cindi lauper song going thru my head.. ibop..

Oop - she bop - she bop

She bop--he bop--a--we bop
I bop--you bop--a--they bop
Be bop--be bop--a--lu--she bop,
I hope He will understand
She bop--he bop--a--we bop
I bop--you bop--a--they bop
Be bop--be bop--a--lu--she bop,
Oo--oo--she--do--she bop--she bop