PDA

View Full Version : Cycling skorts

annie
05-23-2004, 06:44 PM
I really like the look of the Terry cycling skorts, and would like to try sewing something like it at home. Actually, I just want to make the skirt so I could put it on or not as I choose. Has anyone done this? Would a simple wrap skirt pattern work, do you think? I am trying to run errands by bike and I think it'd be nice to have a skirt to put on over my biking shorts instead of walking around stores, etc. in lycra. What do you think, ladies? Any advice? Thanks!

annie

Veronica
05-23-2004, 07:08 PM
How far are you riding? I often ride in my street clothes - 10 miles or less has been very doable.

V.

emily_in_nc
05-24-2004, 07:30 AM
I have two of the Terry skorts (bought on eBay for next to nothing!), but I certainly think you could make your own, even without a pattern, really. You'd need it to wrap around and attach with Velcro at the top, and that's about it. They are indeed great for errands or a short ride to a coffeeshop or ice cream store! ;)

Emily

annie
05-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks, Veronica and Emily.

I do sometimes ride in street clothes, expecially when I ride to work. That's only a few miles. Running errands could be anywhere from 5-20 and sometimes, if I have time, I keep going and turn it into a longer ride. I figure the extra weight on the rack is good training. :p

Maybe I'll check e-bay. If I could get an inexpensive one and then copy it for a pattern, that would be sweet! Otherwise, I think I'll just go for it. I'll let you know how it turns out whenever I get around to sitting down and doing it. 'Course that will take valuable on-bike-time, so it may be a while. :rolleyes:

annie

Veronica
05-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah - if I'm doing serious riding, I like to be in the right clothes.

It seems like a simple pareo would be easy to make and kind of feminine. Might look a little odd with your bike shoes.

V.

http://speedera.figleaves.com/uk/images/eng-gbr/products/medium/pm_FE-8218.jpg

annie
06-10-2004, 06:14 AM
LOL! Love the pareo, Veronica, but maybe that'll be for off-bike time. ;)

Well, I did it. I made a simple wrap skirt to wear over my bike shorts. Not too difficult at all. I haven't decided if I want to connect it to shorts or not. This way, I can wear it with any shorts I want. I like that. I used an adjustable toggle and belting to close it, and just a hook and eye on the inside to keep the flap up. I didn't attempt to put in the lycra triangle in the back like the Terry skorts have. I didn't have any lycra on hand. I may do that for the next one, tho', as I think it would made the fit just a tad better. It was a black fabric with a small design of pink running through it. I decided I needed a top to match so I found some fabric and made one. That was more difficult than the skirt. But fun! I wore both on a ride last weekend and got quite a few compliments. And requests for wrap skirts. Whew! It's one thing making it for myself. Quite another for others. I can fit mine as I cut and sew. Can't do that if making them for others. Without a pattern, I have no standard sizes to go from. I'll have to ask for waist measurement. :o

annie

Veronica
06-10-2004, 07:04 AM
So let's see some pics!

V.

Irulan
06-10-2004, 07:53 AM
I bet if you look at Kwik Sew patterns, they'd have a cute little knit beach wrap pattern that would work, they tend to have patterns for stuff like that.

I've sewn tons of my own cycling stuff... jerserys, shorts, booties, shells, and tights.

Irulan

cycling stuff (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/pgallery.asp)

Veronica
06-10-2004, 08:19 AM
Yeah, but you have talent. :D

I have made a couple of Halloween costumes. My theory is - if I make a mistake it's okay, 'cause it's a costume! So my Cat in the Hat has two shades of black - even though it's all the same material. Really I planned for it to be that way.

V.

Irulan
06-10-2004, 08:52 AM
Veronica m'dear... we all have talents... they just vary from person to person.

You'd laugh if you saw the 30 minute costumes I used to make for my kids, I refuse to spend hours on those things!!

~I

annie
06-10-2004, 10:09 AM
I've made tons of halloween costumes for my kids, too. That was always a blast! I never liked the ones you could buy as much as the homemade ones.

Pics? Well, if I ever get a digital camera, I will oblige.

Irulan, when you sew you own shorts, can you purchase your fabric locally or do you have to order it? And what do you use for the chamois??

annie

Irulan
06-10-2004, 11:25 AM
First, sewing is my passion after biking, and I do it professionally..

buy stuff locally??? Bwahahahahha, that's a joke. I mail order EVRYTHING from outdoors suppliers, here's a list from my tips page

Outdoors Fabric Suppliers (http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips/tips.asp) I've made shorts out of beefy 9 oz. lycra... you cannot kill these shorts, it's the same lycra they use for pro football "tights". I've also used wicking supplex lycra... great for hot weather but they snag easy, and other medium weights. Most swim lycra is too thin, IMO. I make all my own chaomois using the pattern that comes with the Stretch and Sew six panel shorts pattern; I use ultrasuede and polartec. I havne't found a pre made chaomis that I like.

It's fun to make contrast panel shorts using swim lycra prints just for the side panels.

regards

Penny

annie
06-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Penny,

Funny! (The buying locally laugh, that is!) I can't buy locally either. Years ago, I made my own shorts and was able to purchase 8oz. lycra in town . That store closed and all that was available was the swimsuit stuff, which I agree, is much too lightweight. So I quit making them and started buying them. I've used ultrasuede as chamois material, but never thought of polartec. That sounds perfect! You know, I just may have to try again. I will check out your supplier. Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I truly appreciate your sharing of your "secrets." Having the internet around to order from sure can make things easier!

annie