PDA

View Full Version : Giant OCR 1 or Specialized Sequoia

Jill F
01-12-2007, 06:00 AM
I am deciding between these 2 bikes. I'm 5'6" and heavy (200lb.) but getting smaller :-). I will be riding approx 4 times a week/100 miles a week. I'd like to go on rails to trails paths, city trails, some crushed limestone & some road. Does anyone have any insight into experience with either one? Thanks for your help!

xeney
01-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Have you test ridden them? The OCR has a really long virtual top tube compared to other bikes ... I'm not sure how good a fit it would be for the average woman, unless you have unusually long arms.

SouthernBelle
01-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Go for comfort. I've put a shorter stem on my Giant OCR C3 and am quite comfy. But everybody is different.

wannaduacentury
01-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Go for comfort. I've put a shorter stem on my Giant OCR C3 and am quite comfy. But everybody is different.

I was wondering how that stem worked for you SBelle? does it have a rise or is it straight? Was your old one adjustable? (Since we have the same bike pretty much-ocr2) Jennifer

kelownagirl
01-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Those were the two I tried and I went with the ocr1. The sequoia was more upright and I wanted more of a racing-type bike. I liked the comfort of the sequoia better though. Also I liked the colour of the ocr1 better :p :D

I am only 5-3, 125 lbs so that might make a different. The ocr was a WSD too.

SouthernBelle
01-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I was wondering how that stem worked for you SBelle? does it have a rise or is it straight? Was your old one adjustable? (Since we have the same bike pretty much-ocr2) Jennifer

It's a great improvement! Since it's flipped it does have a slight rise. Not adjustable. I will be replacing the bars soon. going a little more compact with them. I happened to have just come from my LBS and my mechanic and I discussed bars. He said even if I didn't buy them there he would set them up for me. Isn't he a sweetie?! & he didn't charge me to adjust my rear derailleur.

divingbiker
01-13-2007, 02:39 AM
I am deciding between these 2 bikes. I'm 5'6" and heavy (200lb.) but getting smaller :-). I will be riding approx 4 times a week/100 miles a week. I'd like to go on rails to trails paths, city trails, some crushed limestone & some road. Does anyone have any insight into experience with either one? Thanks for your help!

I have a 2005 Sequoia. I had to get a bit shorter stem, but it fits great now. Didn't try the OCR.

The one thing I wish I had was a few smaller gears for going up big hills. Of course, I'm not young any more (50) and about your size, so I need all the help I can get. MDHillSlug has the Sequoia also and had her LBS swap out the cassette, and the difference was noticeable on the hills when we rode together.

I'm not sure about riding it on crushed limestone. Even though the tires aren't super skinny, I don't think I'd try it.

If you are a casual rider, not worried about being really tucked and in a racing posture, the Sequoia is great.

SouthernBelle
01-13-2007, 04:24 AM
My OCR did come with a triple on the front and a 9 ring cassette in the back. They aren't kidding when they talk about the hills of Tennessee.

Jill F
01-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I have a 2005 Sequoia. I had to get a bit shorter stem, but it fits great now. Didn't try the OCR.

The one thing I wish I had was a few smaller gears for going up big hills. Of course, I'm not young any more (50) and about your size, so I need all the help I can get. MDHillSlug has the Sequoia also and had her LBS swap out the cassette, and the difference was noticeable on the hills when we rode together.

I'm not sure about riding it on crushed limestone. Even though the tires aren't super skinny, I don't think I'd try it.

If you are a casual rider, not worried about being really tucked and in a racing posture, the Sequoia is great.

Thanks for the input - I'm 51 so I hear you about needing all the help! I went with the Sequoia Elite and had my LBS switch the handle bars to narrower ones which feel much more comfortable. I also had them put on slightly wider tires with a tread (Armadillo) b/c I ride on paths that have leaves & sticks some of the time. They will be good for packed limestone trails as well.

hoosier
01-27-2007, 11:40 PM
I have had my OCR 1 since 2003. I did some modifications along the way and have been spent many happy hours on it. I changed the stem out as soon as I got it. Swapped for a Terry Damselfly seat early on. I added a great carbon fiber seat post, and I replaced the handle bars with narrower ones that fit me better. Starting to sound like a women's specific bike? :rolleyes:

I've logged about 12,000 miles on it and am now thinking of a new steed. I am very seriously considering the OCR C W because it has all the criteria I'm looking for and a women's geometry to boot. I'm with you in age as I'll turn 54 next week. I'm tall, 5'8", and find that the Giant med. frame accommodates my long legs well.

kelownagirl
01-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Hoosier - wasn't your ocr1 a WSD? I bought mine last year and it was. Maybe they've changed now hey?

HillSlugger
01-28-2007, 08:48 AM

I love love love my 2006 Sequoia elite. I didn't try the Giant.

As divingbiker said, I swapped the 12-25 cassette for a 12-27 to give me some more low hill-climbing gears. I have no shame in using those granny gears when necessary.

I'm still trying to figure out if I need a shorter stem.

hoosier
02-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Hoosier - wasn't your ocr1 a WSD? I bought mine last year and it was. Maybe they've changed now hey?

Mine was not a WSD because Giant didn't start making them until --- I think 2005? I'm really, really, really tempted to buy a new OCR 1CW this season. I've done everything except write the check. :eek: