PDA

View Full Version : Any Century Rides In The Yorktown Va. Area?

NYGIRL777
01-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Hi I Am Trying To Schedule A Visit To See My Dad Around The Same Time As Any Fun Ride This Spring/summer. I Am Willing To Travel For A Good Ride. Does Anyone Know Of Any Rides Coming Up Around The Yorktown Virginia Area?

KayTee
01-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi NYGIRL! The Capital to Capital Century is scheduled on 5/5/07. It is co-sponsored by the Williamsburg and Richmond cycling clubs and the VA Capital Trail Foundation to help increase support and awareness for the Capital to Capital bike trail now under phased construction to link Jamestown with Richmond. Only a small section of trail on the east end is currently paved and ready for use; however, the century is routed more along Rt. 5 and quieter rural roads. Riders start from either the Richmond or Wmsbg end. There are shorter distances, and terrain is flat with mostly gentle hills depending on route and distance. The Richmond end has a few more hills. I don't remember what the registration fee is, and so far have not seen any info posted on the web yet.

There was, IMO, a better (i.e. hillier with killer food) century that each July was routed through James City, York, New Kent and Charles City Counties and benefited a local fire department, but I hear now that 2006 was the last one b/c the fire dept. apparently can raise as much $ by direct mail. Too bad.

Cap2Cap is about the only full English century I know about that's actually close to Yorktown. There are others outside Richmond (May and Sept., http://www.raba.org/), one in New Kent Co. (October, but route is posted at http://www.co.new-kent.va.us/planning/BicycleRoutes.php), and some in the Tidewater/far southeast area, too. The Williamsburg club does shorter rides around Yorktown but doesn't usually post their ride calendar on their website, http://www.wabonline.org/ . I'm about 45 minutes west of Yorktown and happy to discuss if you'd like to PM me.

NYGIRL777
01-11-2007, 07:26 PM
WOW....I will look into these and get back to you...they sound interesting. Thank you so much...

KayTee
01-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Sure! I should have mentioned that around here b/c of the hot and humid climate, there aren't a lot of organized centuries scheduled mid-June through August. But the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive, mountains and foothills are just a few hours' drive away, a little cooler and a nice day trip if you're looking for more challenge. DH a.k.a BikeBoy likes mountain centuries like The Mountains of Misery, Blue Ridge Extreme, Mountain Mama, etc. So there are some choices...good luck, and let me know if you need more info. ww.raba.org/ should have a better list soon on their non-club ride link.

KerryCrow
01-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Also check out BikeVirginia. They ride the week of June 22-27, and there will be two centuries offered during that week. This year the ride is in the Hopewell, Williamsburg areas. It is meant for people to ride the whole week, but I know that they offer a limited number of spots for daily riders.

www.bikevirginia.org

NYGIRL777
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Going to check it out now....thank you.