PDA

View Full Version : I like the men's Selle Italia Flite Gel

yogabear
05-21-2004, 07:42 AM
I have tried many women's saddles throughout my nine year cycling career. I haven't felt comfortable on virtually any of them. In fact, some of them have cut me up pretty badly. I appreciate the fact though that manufacturers are trying to help us gals out, however.
One day a friend suggested I try a guys' saddle. This is because I said I wanted a firm seat, without a lot of middle cut-out, with a level profile and not too wide. So, I tried my husband's Flite Gel and I love it! I also have had luck with the Selle Italia ProLink saddle as well which is similar in design. Just today I started looking in the Colorado Cyclist print catalog and found a chart with saddle measurements. It's interesting to see how many widths and lengths exist in saddles!

I am not sure why I prefer the men's saddles. Someone suggested that it's because I have small hips! I found this funny because I don't think of myself as "small." I am a size 4 in clothing, but always have thought I had an average body frame size. But, I think anatomy is such an individualized thing, which makes me think that us women have much variety in our pelvic sizes and shapes. That's what makes finding the "perfect" saddle such a challenge, I believe. It's much worse than finding a pair of jeans, for instance LOL.

Anyone else have more luck with a guys' saddle?

bounceswoosh
05-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Dunno yet ...

I like the men's bontrager saddle that came with my bike, except that my "front bits" get too much pressure on them and get pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours. So I went looking at my LBS, which is nice enough to let you try them out. Actually, they'll let you use a saddle for a few weeks, and you can return it for store credit as long as you didn't scuff it up.

Anyway, none of the women's saddles worked for me -- just too wide in the back. I could just imagine how annoying it would be to mtb downhill with them. Even the Terrys. So I have a Terry Ti Fly (men's) on order. We'll see how that goes.

annie
05-26-2004, 06:05 PM
I rode on a Selle Flite (mens') saddle for years! Because I could not find a womens' saddle that fit right. Same as you, yogabear, they were all too wide in the rear. I still have that saddle on one of my bikes. When I got my new bike, it came with a Bontrager WSD racing saddle. I was very unsure how that would work out. To my surprise, I love it! It felt good from the first time I rode it. I think part of that is due to the bike fitting better than any other bike I'd ever had. I actually sit on the saddle right where I am supposed to sit. And now, when I ride the Flite, it feels okay, but just a little hard. I may end up buying another Bontrager. Comfort in the saddle is important! As we all know. :D

annie

pedalfaster
05-26-2004, 09:10 PM
I too started off with good ol' Flites. There just wasn't much else to choose from!

I tried a Vitesse (womens saddle from Fizik) when a rep recommended one and still use them on the road.

I use the Titec Berserkr ("mens" saddle) on the mtb. It's not so much the width as the length (ohhh that sounds bad! :D ).

It seems that saddle comfort is more based on sit-bone spacing than perceived "size". In other words there are plenty of women who are not a size 4 who still have narrowly-spaced sit-bones and should try a few "mens" (narrow) saddles.