PDA

View Full Version : Yawn . . . Good Morning!!!!

Susan126
01-10-2007, 07:56 AM
Looking out my front door (Bonney Lake) at 7:40 AM this morning! School cancelled so I am off today! How are the rest of you here in the Seattle area?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d167/Howler247/01-10-07snowday2.jpg

salsabike
01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
We got the famous "trace" here in North Seattle, Susan--that's all. I know there's more weather coming later in the day, so glad we both by chance have the day off. I drove home from Kirkland during that Monday night snowstorm when everything got really ugly, and would like not to repeat that this season! Congrats on your snow day. Have fun!

mimitabby
01-10-2007, 09:11 AM
it looks the same here as it did yesterday. grey. Snow fell but it melted.

sigh..

TsPoet
01-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Meanwhile, on the other side of the state that usually gets more snow than the West side...
Nothing, nadda, gray, overcast and no snow in sight.
Predicted max temps tomorrow and through the weekend ~20 degrees.

Susan126
01-10-2007, 10:22 AM
We got the famous "trace" here in North Seattle, Susan--that's all. I know there's more weather coming later in the day, so glad we both by chance have the day off. I drove home from Kirkland during that Monday night snowstorm when everything got really ugly, and would like not to repeat that this season! Congrats on your snow day. Have fun!

My friend got caught in that same snow storm Salsabike and I know she would agree with you one hundred percent. She said it was extremely harrowing. White knuckles . . . tense . . . just awful.

Hey, the sun is out now and it would be a great day for a ride if it weren't for all the snow, slush, ice, and sand on the roads! But I am having fun . . . I am going to the gym early to get some spinning in. I guess it will have to do until I can cycle outdoors again. My daughter's classes (Green River CC) are cancelled so she is home with me and will be joining me at the gym. Maybe lunch together?

Well here's to an early spring with beautiful weather everyone!

(PS . . . today makes day number four that I have to make up at the end of the school year! That's the bad side of having snow (ice, flood, power outage days!) Great right now but pay back is going to be a you know what in June! Especially if June is a gorgeous weather month! I just hope it doesn't go into July! :mad:)

East Hill
01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Susan got lots of snow, just like Popoki Nui!

Not much here on the East Hill, more than in the valley, but a breeze getting home this morning after work. I took the mountain bike down to the chiropractor's this morning, just in case I hit any nasty spots, but the snow is already melting off.

At least we have not had to suffer through horrible power outages again.

East Hill

salsabike
01-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Weird winter, though, huh? Wild. We were at the hotel for last Friday night's windstorm, and their power went out and stayed out through the night.

The Monday night drive was awful, and I'm one who's driven in mucho snow and ice when I lived for years in the midwest. I had to drive from Kirkland down to our vet's near Northgate, and then back up Lake City Way to home (near NE 145th). People were spinning out all over the place and traffic crawled, and I had two elderly cats in their carriers for an hour...bleah. I was much more comfortable driving through much worse snow and ice in the midwest than I am here.

Anyway. Nutty, wild winter we're having.

Susan126
01-10-2007, 12:04 PM
At least we have not had to suffer through horrible power outages again.

East Hill

Amen to that East Hill! I don't think I could live through another four straight days without power. It got mighty cold inside my house during the power outage in December! Thank goodness I have gas for hot water and stove. Funny thing, showering in the morning when the power was out . . . the hot water hitting the cold air created a fog bank inside my shower! I could not see my hand in front of my face or my feet below me! LOL :D

Hopefully Monday the 15th will be a nice day. Both my daughter and I have the day off. So we are going to Kent Station for lunch. Probably the Ram. My daughter has a plan (I know her too well) she also mentioned stopping at the White House Black Market clothes store (she loves to wear anything black and white). I hope she doesn't think "mom" will be buying her anything. Lunch yes, clothes, no!

Glad you got to ride your mountain bike today. I should have too but instead I went to the gym.

Susan126
01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Weird winter, though, huh? Wild. We were at the hotel for last Friday night's windstorm, and their power went out and stayed out through the night.

The Monday night drive was awful, and I'm one who's driven in mucho snow and ice when I lived for years in the midwest. I had to drive from Kirkland down to our vet's near Northgate, and then back up Lake City Way to home (near NE 145th). People were spinning out all over the place and traffic crawled, and I had two elderly cats in their carriers for an hour...bleah. I was much more comfortable driving through much worse snow and ice in the midwest than I am here.

Anyway. Nutty, wild winter we're having.

Weird is right! We moved here in 97 and I think this winter has been the wildest! So far we have had power outages because of high winds, flooding, ice, snow, and avalanches! I hope we get rewarded with a most excellent spring summer for all of this crappy weather we are getting now.

I personally believe that it's the drivers in this area more than the snow and ice you have to watch out for. I have driven in some pretty snowy locale myself without any trouble (Pennsylvania, Montana, and 3 years in Fairbanks Alaska) but here it's kind of scary. Especially when you see people sliding through stop signs! :eek:

East Hill
01-10-2007, 12:24 PM
So Susan, are you still planning to ride GRT/Interurban on MLK Jr. day? I won't have worked the previous evening (as I previously thought), but I will have to go to work that evening. So, it would still need to be a fairly early start (around nine or so) if the ride's still on in order for me to make it.

It's started to snow again here...

East Hill

Susan126
01-10-2007, 12:30 PM
So Susan, are you still planning to ride GRT/Interurban on MLK Jr. day? I won't have worked the previous evening (as I previously thought), but I will have to go to work that evening. So, it would still need to be a fairly early start (around nine or so) if the ride's still on in order for me to make it.

It's started to snow again here...

East Hill

Hey, I completely forgot about that when my daughter asked me to go out with her to lunch :eek:

Let me talk with her and get back with you!!!!! Dang nab it!!!!!

Susan126
01-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Talked to my daughter . . . she said, "Go mom! You've been miserable not riding your bike!"

So if the weather is good (meaning no rain, ice, snow, or high winds) 9 AM. I will be starting at the Super Mall in Auburn. I usuallypark next to the Regal Cinema. I drive a white maxima (hubby has the truck).

mimitabby
01-10-2007, 12:49 PM
any reason why we can't schedule this ride for Sunday when none of us will be working?

alpinerabbit
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
How come you get school canceled with 3 inches (at most) of snow, judging from that piccie? my Mom has had to WALK to school.

mimitabby
01-10-2007, 01:02 PM
because in Seattle we aren't used to snow and don't know what to do with it!
on the east side of the USA snow doesn't stop everything.
in fact, on the east side of the state, it doesn't either.

crazycanuck
01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
As alpinerabbit said...I too wondered why school was cancelled with just a smidgen bit of snow..How far is the school to you??

I wonder if school's cancelled in my mom's town(hythe,alberta...near grand prarie)..it's supposed to be -35c & snow...

Oh dear..on the other hand it's going to be 40C on Sunday here in Perth....:eek: watch the crazycanuck melt like frosty while mtn biking...:eek:

c

mimitabby
01-10-2007, 01:44 PM
As alpinerabbit said...I too wondered why school was cancelled with just a smidgen bit of snow..How far is the school to you??

I wonder if school's cancelled in my mom's town(hythe,alberta...near grand prarie)..it's supposed to be -35c & snow...

Oh dear..on the other hand it's going to be 40C on Sunday here in Perth....:eek: watch the crazycanuck melt like frosty while mtn biking...:eek:

c

it doesn't matter how close the school is to an individual. Seattlelites think about children and school buses in the snow and they just freak!
most american children; most children in Seattle DO NOT walk to school. if they are too close to the school for a bus, their parents drive them.

makbike
01-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Could you guys send some of that snow to Shelbyville, Kentucky so we too could have a snow day? I love snow days and did not get a single one last year :mad: and it is looking like a repeat for this year as well:mad: . Just once this year I would like to wake up and hear those magic words on the radio "Shelby County schools are closed today:p ." It is suppose to be in the 50's tomorrow and we are suppose to get 3-4 inches of rain this weekend - boy it that could only be snow:D !

Susan126
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Could you guys send some of that snow to Shelbyville, Kentucky so we too could have a snow day? I love snow days and did not get a single one last year :mad: and it is looking like a repeat for this year as well:mad: . Just once this year I would like to wake up and hear those magic words on the radio "Shelby County schools are closed today:p ." It is suppose to be in the 50's tomorrow and we are suppose to get 3-4 inches of rain this weekend - boy it that could only be snow:D !

Hey makbike, I wish I could send you some of our snow and ice! I definitely have had enough of it! The school district I work for already tacked four days on in June. We were supposed to get out on Thursday, June 14th now I'm looking at Wednesday, June 20th! Sigh :(

makbike
01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
If we don't have a single snow day we will be finished on May 25th :) (only 89 more days to teach!). We, however, started on August 3rd:mad: Regardless I would like at least one snow day just so I can jump up and down in my living room and crawl back in bed with a huge smile on my face.

mimitabby
01-10-2007, 06:53 PM
If we don't have a single snow day we will be finished on May 25th :) (only 89 more days to teach!). We, however, started on August 3rd:mad: Regardless I would like at least one snow day just so I can jump up and down in my living room and crawl back in bed with a huge smile on my face.

and that's why I want a snow day too! :D :D :D :D :D

emily_in_nc
01-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I want a snow day too! None last year in NC and none this year so far. Weird, warm winter in the east (except for today - brrrrr!) I'm not a teacher, but if we get enough snow, my company closes. Even if it's just a bit of snow, I can work from home instead of dealing with the roads. I've enjoyed having a warm winter, but I'd like just one little snow. Pretty please?

Emily

P.S. They close schools here in NC at the faintest hint of snow because of all the busses, I guess.

East Hill
01-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Hah! No snow days here at the SEA AMC! The mail must go out, through wind, hail, sleet, snow: darkness of night is a given considering I work graveyard.

However, out of a total crew of around 120 employees on my tour, about 30 of us showed up. It's just too hard to get down those hills, and then GET BACK UP! It's not the getting down part that's so hard, it really is terrifying to try to get back up some of them.

East Hill

KnottedYet
01-11-2007, 06:55 AM
We've got a snow day here, which is fine for the kids, but I've still got to go to work and I'm not sure my car can make it safely out of the hill here in my apt complex.

I have AWD and lots of snowy driving experience, but those don't help you much on ice!

(considering my job is at the bottom of a hill, I think we'll have lots of cancelled appts. That and all the parents staying home with kids.)

KnottedYet
01-11-2007, 08:08 AM
<snort> work just called to tell me the clinic is still open, but some therapists are staying home because of the snow and kids off school. The patients aren't cancelling, though. And the assistants all have to come in to cover.

Gonna be a hoppin' busy day for us assistants today!

"I'm not a PT, but I play one on snow days.":D

(too bad I can't get those PT's staying home with their kids to babysit mine while they're at it! SKnot'll be home alone for 12 hrs. Lucky boy!)

mimitabby
01-11-2007, 08:57 AM
believe it or not, i'm at work. DH put chains on the pickup and drove me here.
On the way, I took a photo of a young female bicyclist, i promise i will upload it when i get home.
half of the big b's employees stayed home.
Every street is a sheet of ice. we have sandbags in the PU and chains on !
the temp stayed at 32 all night and this morning the wind picked up and the temp dropped.

it's 30 now and supposed to drop more as the day progresses. be careful knot!

Susan126
01-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry for those of you who have to venture out in this stuff! Like my poor hubby this morning! I tried to persuade him to stay home but he said he had to go in . . . meetings! We live in Bonney Lake and he works in Renton, he works in one of those big buildings on the right just as you go under 405 into Renton . . . I believe Renton 2. Anyway, I told him not take 167 but go the back streets. East Valley through Auburn. I doubt he listened to me! :p

Me . . . just add another snow day to my tally. This makes number five to make up at the end of the school year! I think school will be in session, at this rate until July! :eek:

Hey, with the way this snow and cold is coming at us, do you think the Interurban/Green River Trail will be ridable by Sunday or Monday?

My daughter is home again. No classes at GRCC. I also tried calling my son this morning, he is away at school at EWU in Cheney, but no answer in his dorm room and he's not picking up on his cell. I'm worried about him too. Sigh . . . I hate this winter so far! Grrrrrrrr

Well everyone stay warm and safe out there!

Bikingmomof3
01-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Please send snow my way. I really would enjoy seeing it this winter.

For those of you off, enjoy the day. Play in the snow for me. :)

mimitabby
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Me . . . just add another snow day to my tally. This makes number five to make up at the end of the school year! I think school will be in session, at this rate until July! :eek:

Hey, with the way this snow and cold is coming at us, do you think the Interurban/Green River Trail will be ridable by Sunday or Monday?

Well everyone stay warm and safe out there!

yes, the weather forecast is 37 and partly cloudy for Sunday!
so we can still do it!
how many people responded to your question (sunday or monday) besides me?

Susan126
01-11-2007, 09:40 AM
yes, the weather forecast is 37 and partly cloudy for Sunday!
so we can still do it!
how many people responded to your question (sunday or monday) besides me?

Brrrrrr that's a tad bit chilly but hey what are warmies for? You are the only one who responded to my vote. Let's try for Sunday at 10 AM . . . does that sound good? I hope East Hill and KnottedYet will be able to join us. I will also place the change at my other post. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed for NO SNOW! It will be nice to finally put faces to you guys!

KnottedYet
01-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Bummer. I won't be able, as I have commitments at church. Pooey. And I haven't ridden since going across the Golden Gate bridge in SF in November!

That's too darn long since my last ride!

Susan126
01-12-2007, 07:04 AM
Bummer. I won't be able, as I have commitments at church. Pooey. And I haven't ridden since going across the Golden Gate bridge in SF in November!

That's too darn long since my last ride!

Aaahhh bummer KnottedYet, but I will definitely post another ride in the spring when it's a tad bit warmer. I will post one of my favorite rides that my hubby and I do. It's fun and hilly! Helps build those climbing muscles! :)

Also, in February or March (havne't decided yet) Joe and I are leading a ride into Seattle starting from New Castle Beach in Bellevue. It's fun! We cross the I-90 bridge and go to the Seattle water front for lunch then ride back! It's sort of become a "tradition" with us to do it every spring for our bike club. If anyone is interested I will post it here too.

East Hill
01-12-2007, 07:24 AM
I'm just hoping that all this ice will have disappeared for our ride on Sunday.

19 degrees Fahrenheit here at SeaTac as of 0720.

But I have a mountain bike, and I can go slow if necessary!

East Hill

Susan126
01-12-2007, 08:13 AM
And not just the ice . . . but the temperature! I will keep watch on the news. Maybe run by the Super Mall on Saturday and take a peek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight at dinner my husband said that on his drive home from work today he noticed that the Interurban Trail had a lot of ice and snow on it. So tomorrow I am driving down to the Super Mall to take a look for myself. If it's bad I am going to postpone our ride on Sunday. Better to be safe so we can ride on a warmer and nicer day. :)

emily_in_nc
01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
The forecast for Sunday here in North Carolina is 72 degrees. :)

Crazy el Nino, but I do like it on the weekends! It's supposed to get MUCH colder next week....

Hope the snow/ice melts fast for all of you stuck in it!

Emily

Susan126
01-13-2007, 07:25 AM
The forecast for Sunday here in North Carolina is 72 degrees. :)

Crazy el Nino, but I do like it on the weekends! It's supposed to get MUCH colder next week....

Hope the snow/ice melts fast for all of you stuck in it!

Emily

72 degrees! I am so jealous Emily!!!! I would settle for 42 degrees right now! Sigh . . . I keep telling myself spring is just around the corner! :cool:

mimitabby
01-13-2007, 07:31 AM
ooo Susan
both of my husband's bike rides were cancelled for the weekend. The one on Sunday went up and down a mountain pass on one of the Islands..

He's fit to be tied, he really wants to ride. yes, of course so do I.

Are you anywhere near the trail? Perhaps a 5 minute walk to see how it is faring this afternoon will help us all decide for Sunday?

East Hill
01-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I passed by the Interurban where it crosses by Boeing's and KOA. It is quite thick ice in spots. This part of the trail is in full sun, too. I'm going to go out to Federal Way today, and I will see if I can take a look at the trail where it goes through downtown Kent, but I have to say it's not looking too good. I would imagine the Interurban past Fort Dent is really bad, as it is in the shade.

I'll report back later.

East Hill

East Hill
01-13-2007, 12:25 PM
My journey today took me past two points on the GRT/Interurban. Down by the golf course is not at all good. In fact, I would have to describe it as miserable.

The other crossing point was near to the REI headquarters. It also was not especially good.

I will reschedule for next week :D .

I really don't think it's going to be safe this Sunday. Oh, and I see snowflakes starting to come down....as of 12.19 pm :( .

On the other hand, I did pick up a beautiful Nishiki mixte today :) .

East Hill

KnottedYet
01-13-2007, 12:48 PM
It's snowing up here, too. SKnot and I are gonna run out of food soon. I just don't wanna deal with the roads today, either.

Actually, the roads aren't as bad as the drivers who have no clue how to handle the ice. I've been listening to people spinning out in front of my building all morning.

Might walk down to the uber-expensive QFC down the road just for a dozen eggs.

Might just stay here in bed with my thermos of coffee and my laptop.:D

Susan126
01-13-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with everyone . . . Joe and I took a drive to look at the roads and trails and they are bad. Not safe at all. Yes, rescheduling for a better day is the way to go. I already posted my cancellation at my other post . . . so I'll repeat here. Tomorrow's ride is cancelled due to ice and snow on the Interurban/Green River Trails.

On our way home Joe and I stopped by the video store (tonight will be a good stay at home and cozy up on the couch and watch movie night). Well, not two steps taken and I slipped in the parking lot!!!! But I did not fall thanks to my hubby's quick reflexes, he caught me! Yep, definitely still icy out there! Be safe everyone and stay warm. It won't be long until these days are a fuzzy distant bad memory!

Susan126
01-13-2007, 04:01 PM
On the other hand, I did pick up a beautiful Nishiki mixte today :) .

East Hill

Oooohhhhhh would love to see a picture East Hill!