PDA

View Full Version : (Long and Less Long) Runs - 1/8 to 1/14

KSH
01-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Starting the thread for this week!

I haven't run yet today. I should be getting my lazy bum out for a 3-4 miler at lunch though. Let's see how it goes.

My miles last week were pathetic... only coming in at 5 miles and 2 days of running. :(

This will be a better week!

kaybee
01-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Three miles for me this morning with BOTH of my running buddies -- the guy that I run with and my half-marathon partner, who had not run a step since we did the half on December 2. She told me at mile 6 of the half that the reason she had been so sick for the past week was that she was 10 weeks pregnant! :eek: Of course she finished, and with a respectable time (she's one tough lady). Fortunately, the morning sickness seems to have abated and the Musketeers are back together again for a while.

KB

KSH
01-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Kaybee... happy to hear it! That's cool that your buddies are back running with you again.

Well, I was dreading running outside, as the weather.com said it was 46 degrees.

I got outside, and it was beautiful! The sun really made the difference. There was a little wind blowing, but I only had to endure that for a short portion of the run.

I went 3.50 miles in 36 minutes. Respectable time for me! I was happy with it and really glad that I went outside.

kaybee
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Good job, KSH! Any pain from the run? 46 sounds nice to me -- shorts weather! :D

KB

btchance
01-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Did my first run this week, which due to rain that's coming may be my only outside run. Since I missed my long run last week due to call, I decided to turn my 40min run w/ intervals I had planned into an hour long run. The weather was definately not the best; it was in the low 40s with the wind gusting up to 30mph (at one point it literally moved me over a couple of feet :eek: ). Anyways, I warmed up then did my 5 x 3min intervals in zone 4-5a in the first 40minutes, then did the last 20 in LSD mode. In total I did right about 6miles.

The run overall felt pretty good; I need to work on pushing off for each stride (I think that's getting better slowly). My left knee is still sore from where I stupidly fell on it about a week ago and my feet are sore from standing up all day (amazing how much conditioning you lose for THAT over 2 weeks), but nothing too bad. Now let's just hope that this nice 3-day weekend I have coming is not rained out. (doing a little anti-rain dance :D )

rocknrollgirl
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I have been down for the count with a neck injury (chiropractic in nature) for the last week. I have walked a couple of times, but no running or riding since Thursday.

Today I felt better so I did about 4.5 walk jog on the trails. I am feeling pretty good just now.

It has been a crappy week... can I say crappy????

Wahine
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
So here I am, way past my bedtime and not ready to go to sleep because I rode my bike kinda late. I rode my bike kinda late because I was procrastinating because I ran at lunch and did speed intervals for the first time in, oh, 2 YEARS. :eek: :eek:

I had a good run - a little over 5 miles with 20 sec form and 30 sec sprint intervals. My best pace was 5:41 min/mile :eek: according to my crazy large Garmin GPS/HRM. (No I didn't buy it, I'm not that geeky, it was a gift. I am geeky enough to say that it is a pretty cool gift :p ). I didn't even know that my legs could move that fast. So that was pretty enlightening. What isn't cool is that my legs are now putting out heat like hyperactive radiators and I don't think I'll ever go to sleep tonight. :o

KSH
01-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Good job, KSH! Any pain from the run? 46 sounds nice to me -- shorts weather! :D

KB

46- shorts? NO WAY! HA!

Pain? Always. Can I tolerate it... yes. Nothing I can't push through. The day after my legs were tighter than usual, but I think that's because I ran back-to-back days.

My legs are still feeling it today (did a spin class yesterday), but it's suppose to be 62 here! I simply MUST run outside at lunch... before the weather turns to crap and I have to hit the treadmill.

KSH
01-10-2007, 06:23 AM
So here I am, way past my bedtime and not ready to go to sleep because I rode my bike kinda late. I rode my bike kinda late because I was procrastinating because I ran at lunch and did speed intervals for the first time in, oh, 2 YEARS. :eek: :eek:

I had a good run - a little over 5 miles with 20 sec form and 30 sec sprint intervals. My best pace was 5:41 min/mile :eek: according to my crazy large Garmin GPS/HRM. (No I didn't buy it, I'm not that geeky, it was a gift. I am geeky enough to say that it is a pretty cool gift :p ). I didn't even know that my legs could move that fast. So that was pretty enlightening. What isn't cool is that my legs are now putting out heat like hyperactive radiators and I don't think I'll ever go to sleep tonight. :o

That Garmin is awesome! I haven't used it... but I would certainly take one as a gift. I would buy one... but at $350 it's above my price range.

I need a wetsuit more.

WOW! Fast running there! Congrats!

Wahine
01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
That Garmin is awesome! I haven't used it... but I would certainly take one as a gift. I would buy one... but at $350 it's above my price range.

I need a wetsuit more.

WOW! Fast running there! Congrats!

Well, you do need a wetsuit before a Garmin. But, the garmin also has a built in HRM. Unfortunately it also comes with a manual about 1 inch thick.

colby
01-10-2007, 09:57 AM

Do you wear the Garmin on your wrist? Some of those GPS units look pretty large. I've debated between a nice HRM (like the high-end Polars) or a GPS unit (like the Garmins with HRM) before, but never really came to any conclusion. The Polar units seem to cram a lot of information into a tiny screen, and the Garmins seem big.

Nice work on the running. :) Hopefully your radiators died down and you got a good night's rest.

KSH
01-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Wednesday: 4.20 miles, 44 minutes, 10:29 minute mile.

I was not going to run today, but the weather is BEAUTIFUL! Warm and sunny!

My legs were still stiff from Monday's run and I told myself I would only go around 2 miles.

I get out there, and decide I can do a LSD run. The backs of my legs were tight... and my knees starting hurting... but I pushed through it.

Even when I could have cut the run short, I did the extra loop to get in the extra distance.

It was a nice run and I enjoyed just being outside. With bad weather coming very soon, I like soaking up the good days when I can.

Wahine
01-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Do you wear the Garmin on your wrist? Some of those GPS units look pretty large. I've debated between a nice HRM (like the high-end Polars) or a GPS unit (like the Garmins with HRM) before, but never really came to any conclusion. The Polar units seem to cram a lot of information into a tiny screen, and the Garmins seem big.

Nice work on the running. :) Hopefully your radiators died down and you got a good night's rest.

Colby,

The Garmin is HUGE. And I am not big boned, read - the monitor is actually wider than my wrist. So I carry it in one hand like a stop watch. I actually like this better - it's easier to see the data because I don't have to rotate my arm to see the screen and I have better access to the buttons. I use the garmin for running only and I mostly use it for intervals so I'm constantly pressing the lap button and changing mode screens. Although the Garmin is fun, especially for working pacing and speed drills, the HR information is in a tiny corner of the screen and is pretty hard to see, so I don't like that.

I also have a Polar S120 that I bought before I was given the Garmin. The HR information is much easier to read on the go so I use it for the bike and for my LSD runs. The watch is comfortable and the information on the screen can be changed from larger to smaller for different factors depending on what you want for that workout. For eg: for intervals I might use a mode where the lap time is prominent but for LSD I would have HR at the forefront. One word of warning about the Polar, if the battery in the transceiver (the chest strap) dies, you have to buy a new one (the last one I bought was $75) and if you need to replace the battery on the watch, it has to be sent to Polar to be done. Polar will not honor their warranty if you do it yourself. This is related to maintaining the waterproof nature of the unit.

Lastly, no matter what unit you buy, if you use it in the water do not press any buttons under the water or if the watch is quite wet. Even if it's "waterproof" moisture will get in this way.

I think that's enough procrastination for one day. Time to go swim. My legs are a bit sore from yesterday and I'm tired from lack of sleep. That'll teach me for putting off a workout until the later evening.

colby
01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the input, Wahine. Your comments confirmed what I thought. Of course, that doesn't make it an easier decision. ;)

alpinerabbit
01-10-2007, 10:45 PM
One word of warning about the Polar, if the battery in the transceiver (the chest strap) dies, you have to buy a new one (the last one I bought was $75) and if you need to replace the battery on the watch, it has to be sent to Polar to be done. Polar will not honor their warranty if you do it yourself. This is related to maintaining the waterproof nature of the unit.

Ha, ha Wahine. They can't even do it properly themselves.

I gave both our polars for a battery change. DBF's came back no longer waterproof!! So another trip to the sport store; then Polar calls up my DBF to tell him they want him to pay another 50 bucks for a new watch casing, upon which he said the standard favorite "I'll only talk to your supervisor" and they ended up having to provide a new casing for free.

Apparently they had the monopoly on HRM's so long they are really arrogant.

tattiefritter
01-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Newer Polar monitors come with the Wearlink transmitter which you can change the battery of yourself - just be very careful when opening the back that you don't damage the little slot that allows you to get a coin in to turn the battery cover :o (luckily I had another one). Its also a very comfortable strap to wear as its textile rather than the plastic.

My BF has a Garmin Forerunner and I'd never wear it as its humungous. I am thinking about upgrading my Polar S410 at some point this year to one of the Speed/Distance ones: possible an S625x (can use as bike computer too) or RS4000SD/8000SD. I'll wait a bit until the newer models have been in circulation for a while.

tattiefritter
01-11-2007, 01:31 AM
My ankle has improved somewhat and if its wasn't so windy outside (60mph gusts today) then I'd be going out for a tester but I'll save that for Saturday morning.

The thing that bugs it most is actually driving, particularly in queueing traffic when I'm on the clutch all the time (its my left obviously) it really annoys it. Other than that its ok and I was slip sliding about in the mud pushing my bike up an unrideable (for me) short climb on last nights night ride and it was absolutely fine. So fingers crossed for Saturday and I'll look where I'm putting my feet!

btchance
01-11-2007, 03:10 AM
Was supossed to do a spin class last night, got there in plenty of time to get a bike (it's crazy full w/ all the New Year resolution people), only to discover that something is wrong with the bike. Went to get a new one, there were none left. So I tried to figure out what was wrong, figured that out, simple enough to fix. However, they don't have the tool I need, and of course mine is at home in my bike bag. Tried to ride the bike, but quickly gave up as it was annoying me.

So, off to the track to run again. Got in a couple of miles at 9:05 -9:10 pace, and quit when the spin class ended. I actually need to run more so than bike, so it wasn't that bad of a thing, just annoying.

alpinerabbit
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi Wahine - I was trying to be a good girl today - slow run.

I had an avg HR of 136 :) but it got boring:rolleyes: . I had to run all available loops behind work twice to get up to 40 min. I could not make myself do a 3rd repeat.

And guess what: I feel tired! and I have PVCs. This is so weird.

Wahine
01-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi Wahine - I was trying to be a good girl today - slow run.

I had an avg HR of 136 :) but it got boring:rolleyes: . I had to run all available loops behind work twice to get up to 40 min. I could not make myself do a 3rd repeat.

And guess what: I feel tired! and I have PVCs. This is so weird.

Good job on the average HR. :) But WTF on the PVC's. :mad: Is it possible that you have an electrolyte imbalance? Doesn't have to be potassium, it can happen with too little sodium or calcium. It's possible that it could happen with other minerals as well but I don't know too much about those.

If there's nothing seriously wrong with you and it's not your electrolytes, you might want to try acupuncture. They do treat these sorts of things from time to time and apart from the cost, you really don't have anything to lose. Oh, in case you were worried, they're not going to stick needles in your chest. :eek: Usually in the arms, hands and lower legs.

Yes, running slowly is boring. I do drills sometimes on slow runs to break it up. And remember, you must run slow to run fast, Grasshopper.

KSH
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
And remember, you must run slow to run fast, Grasshopper.

If that's the case... I should be a speed demon in about one month! ;)

alpinerabbit
01-12-2007, 01:03 PM
And remember, you must run slow to run fast, Grasshopper.

The moment I understand this beyond biochemistry, I shall have attained enlightenment.

Before enligthenment, chop wood and carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood and carry water....

KSH
01-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, I finally got off my lazy butt today (Sunday)... and went to the gym to run 3 miles on the treadmill. It was a *slow* run, but I got that and 20 minutes on the stationary bike done.

This was after taking Friday off to go to Happy Hour after work... and Saturday because it was pouring down rain.

I'm glad I went and ran though! Put me at 10 miles for the week!

rocknrollgirl
01-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I had a good run today. With an on again off again threat of rain all weekend, not mt biking for us, which is the normal Sunday workout. So I rousted the DH out of bed early and we did a trail run. He is recovering from a cracked rib(spectacular endo, took the bar end in the chest), so he has not run for probably close to 4 weeks.

So we decided to take it easy. I say that with a certain level of sarcasm, "easy" is not in the DH's vocabulary. But he was good to his word today. I have been searching for my.."gee I can go all day at this pace" pace, so this was a pefect opportunity. It was a beautiful morning in the woods. Moody, as they say in the highlands of Scotland. Foggy and soft. We spooked up some deer, one of which was a very nice buck. Came home and made brakfast sandwiches...yum....

We ran about 4.5 miles, and much to my surprise in a very good time of under 37 mins.

DH asked if we can go agin tomorrow...

So a Forrest Gump day today....

Wahine
01-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Ran yesterday. 90 min on the dread mill but get this... I had fun. "How is this possible" you might ask. Well I have a great iMix that I call 80's ladies and I ran faster during the uptempo songs and did 2% grade hills on the medium paced songs and recovered on the slow songs. I had the playlist on shuffle so I never knew what was coming next. This kept me from looking at the timer, changed it up to make it more like a run outside and I got to sing along which help me forget about the suffering.

I love my iPod.

The funniest thing was that I was in the cardio loft at the gym with a couple of conservative, new year's resolutioner types and I was watching an old episode of Six Feet Under. I realized that these ladies were looking at me then at the TV and suddenly I understood that they found the images of a gay couple kissing and dead people talking a little unnerving. I forgot how far "Out There" SFU was, for some people anyway. I kinda giggled to myself and thought, "you ladies need to get out more". Then I changed the channel to college basketball.