PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton, Alberta

magrat22
05-19-2004, 11:34 AM
Is anyone here living in Edmonton, Alberta and could recommend some good beginner clubs. I really want to ride with people and am having a hard time keeping to my biking schedule as I'm so tired after work I tend to reach for the fridge rather then the handlebars!! So if anyone knows of any clubs I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

kpc
05-19-2004, 01:00 PM
I'm unfamiliar with Edmonton, but the way i found a great club in my area was by using Google. Just try searching different ways; ie, bicycling in Edmonton, mountain bicycling in Canada, etc. If you don't find what you want check out the links for the sites you do find. Also your bike shop may have ideas. Good luck.

magrat22
05-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks KPC..I'll try that.:D

MM_QFC!
05-23-2004, 10:29 PM
if you haven't gotten to it yet, magrat22, here's one of the links in Google...looks like a good group with support and activities for beginning riders: http://freenet.edmonton.ab.ca/bicycle/

have fun!
Mary

magrat22
05-24-2004, 10:11 AM
Hiya Mary,

Thanks so much for looking for me that was really nice of you. I found them too and am hoping to join next month, I just want to give myself a bit more time on the bike beforehand so I'm not quite so wobbely (sorry can't spell) :D.

Kerri

MM_QFC!
05-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Hey again Kerri -
You'll want to look for their information on lower-paced rides for beginners; they usually note the mph and that the group rides on local bike trails or short rides on quiet backroads at about 8-10 mph/social pace, and stays together, stops often and probably even takes time before riding to go over some basics - proper helmet placement, hand signals, riding safely, etc.
Remember that it's a great opportunity to practice and learn and that there will undoubtedly be other "wobbly" newbies too, so that you don't have to practice beforehand. Have fun!
Mary