PDA

View Full Version : First Club Event

cyclingnewbie
05-18-2004, 06:00 AM
I got up the nerve to participate in my first club event last weekend, and it wasn't nearly as scarey as I thought it would be. However, there were a couple of people I knew from some weekly rides I've joined that I could ride with. If I had chosen to ride a longer distance than the people I knew, I think I would have been riding all by myself because everyone there seemed to be with a friend. Anyway, new stuff like that scares me and I'm proud of myself for joining in! They also warned me about some of the "C" rides the club does weekly ("C" designated average speed for the ride). Evidently some of them are "C How Fast They Can Leave You Behind" rides. My very fear, confirmed! I think I'll go back to joining in on the slower weekly ride that I met these people at in the first place. I ride a hybrid and I'm finding that I can only increase my speed and distance to a certain point and then I need a road bike to break that barrier. No cash in the budget for a bike this year though! Anyway, I'm glad I got up the nerve to venture out with the local club, and the first experience was a good one.

skibum
05-18-2004, 08:46 AM
New stuff like that scares me too. Congrats for overcoming your fears and getting out to ride!!

Barb
05-24-2004, 07:14 AM
I'm with ya on this stuff!!! I'm saving for a road bike now, my comfort bike is comfortable but just not fast enough to keep up with real roadies! Next year I want to do my first century and I think I will be much happier on a road bike for it!

Hillhugger
05-26-2004, 02:42 PM
Congratulations! Well done!

The first time I went out with members of our club, I fell behind (on my roadbike) and felt embarrassed. I didn't want to be a drag for everybody else. But you know what, those guys were so concerned that I would enjoy my first ride with them, they slowed down, so I was able to keep up.

The next time, I found myself riding with a couple of people who were more my pace.

It is so much fun. Just keep it up.

ORBikeChick
05-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I've been looking into joining into some club/group rides but like you have felt scared and intimidated! I figure they will see my non-brand name bike and laugh at me! :rolleyes: You've given me inspiration to go ahead and try it out! Thanks so much!

cathleen
06-29-2004, 10:23 AM
While I haven't joined a club, I have gone on some large organized rides with my dad and his wife. They're very experienced bikers with fancy schmancy expensive bikes, etc. Maybe it didn't seem like anyone was snubbing me because I already had two people to ride with and talk to, but, even in the registration line, or around food table, complete strangers have been pretty nice to me.

No, I don't have a fancy bike or anything like that. I have my dad's old Schwinn hybrid. (I keep hoping my youth will compensate for the differences in bikes, but so far, a 57 year-old man on a road bike can whip my butt!)

I've been thinking about joining a club or something like that in my area, and I wonder if it'll be different (i.e. intimidating) since I won't already have people I know there.