PDA

View Full Version : Butter Question

Meaux
01-04-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a rather...ahem...personal question. I was told that it is very important to use some sort of chamois cream when riding long distances, however, I have a very sensitive "area" (meaning I am very prone to UTI's and yeast infections"). Can using chamois butter irritate this area? DH and I bought a few of the one time use things of Chamois Butt'r, but before I slather it on and hop on the bike, I want to make sure the cream will make the ride more pleasant, not make me want to turn around and cry. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there one product that's better for this than another? Please help as we have a long ride on Saturday morning. Thanks, ladies.

suzieqtwa
01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I haven't had a yeast infection in years ,but I got one when I started riding long distances. Not sure if this is the right answer ,but I bought some Monistat cream ,and used it the night before a long ride...it seems to work ,but I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do...Oh, I also use the Butt'r ,and I haven't had a problem. I'm sure someone else will have a different answer. Good luck

emily_in_nc
01-05-2007, 03:36 AM
I only use chamois butt'r along the creases between my inner thighs and groin area and a bit on the outer labia; not anywhere on or inside the sensitive inner labia (though I know some on this board who do use it there). For me it just prevents the rubbing on the outside where I tend to get road rash -- I ride a saddle with a cut-out to prevent pressure on the girly bits so don't need to "butt'r" those areas up! If you're nervous, just use it where I've mentioned, not in the center, and you'll certainly be safe with it!

Emily

Kimmyt
01-05-2007, 06:03 AM
I don't use any butter for long rides.... maybe if I had to do a double century or something I would consider, but up to 100 miles I don't get any rash, just a bit of pressure sensitivity which cream or butter won't really help...

mimitabby
01-05-2007, 07:13 AM
when women reach menopause the natural lube seems to go away so for protection on long rides, chamois butter really helps.
I wouldn't put it anywhere that would cause an infection.

SouthernBelle
01-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Something I've been meaning to post about. I'm post-menopausal which causes dryness and irritation, esp when I ride. I did a little research and have recently started using a cream with teatree oil. the oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and is also a fungicide. I love this stuff. I plan on investing in a teatree oil soap too. This is more of an after ride thing, so I'm not saying not to use a butter. But I've been meaning to pass this info along.

GLC1968
01-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I had the female owner of a LBS recommend Assos Chamois cream to me over the Chamois Butt'r. The Assos stuff has witch hazel in it and while it gives you a 'cooling' effect that's a bit unnerving until you get used to it, it does have anticeptic properties (is that the word I'm looking for?) that are beneficial to women. It's more expensive than Chamois Butt'r as well. I've been using it for 2 years now and I've not had any adverse effects (I am not prone to yeast infections or UTI's though). I also no longer feel the 'cooling' sensation as vividly as when I first started using it (I only use it for rides over 50 miles long).

Geonz
01-05-2007, 12:02 PM
It's important to use something ... IF you need it. I have not; couple of times I've had chafing or soreness but always a gear issue. However, I'm on a hybrid and haven't done anything longer than 160 miles in a day... depends on what you mean by "longer" :)

RoadRaven
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I've never used chamois butter, but have used something similar called "3B Action Cream"... no running around and crying - except it was expensive.

Then remembered all the nappies I have changed and went and got a big pot of Zinc and Castor Oil cream from the chemist.

To prevent chaffing and "nappy rash" and very soothing and healing during and after a ride also. Its made for sensitive baby skin, so should be ok on yours too. AND it is loads cheaper!!!

Good luck

BleeckerSt_Girl
01-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I don't get rashes or infections from riding, but...
I just put a dab of hypoallergenic hand/body cream on my private parts area before I ride.
If I don't use anything, I find that my girly parts can get sort of stuck into one position and that is uncomfortable after a while. If I use a bit of cream/moisturizer however, then my girly parts can better slide around and rearrange themselves as needed during the ride and it's way more comfortable. (sorry, no other way to describe it!) I don't do 100mile rides yet(!), but this helps for my 20-40 mile rides. I don't want to use any petroleum based stuff like Vaseline or BagBalm, as I don't like that petroleum stuff for my body and also it won't wash out easily, too greasy.

Kitsune06
01-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I have no such problems. Perhaps it is youthful lubricity, hedge trimming, my type of jewelry or frequency of sexual activity, but genital shifting and sticking has never been an issue. I suggest the above? Buttering is great, esp. with garlic. ;) :D :cool:

Seriously, though, I just use a little at the thigh/softparts intersection... don't need it much elsewhere. Long rides, sorry, jewelry comes out. Re: the infection bit, I'd stay the EFF away from petroleum based anything, oils, etc. great for trapping moisture. shower well, don't soap, and if it's bad, use monistat or the like creme, maybe w/ a little vinegar and/ or tea tree oil to lower the ph and act as natural fungicides. uhh... careful with the TT oil. *shiver* it's... uh... well... you'll get it.:rolleyes:

CyclChyk
01-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Luckily I too have no such troubles however it has been reccommended by some that the baby cream "Bordeau's Butt Cream" is great as a lube - and if its safe enough for a baby................??

Aggie_Ama
01-05-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a rather...ahem...personal question. I was told that it is very important to use some sort of chamois cream when riding long distances, however, I have a very sensitive "area" (meaning I am very prone to UTI's and yeast infections"). Can using chamois butter irritate this area? DH and I bought a few of the one time use things of Chamois Butt'r, but before I slather it on and hop on the bike, I want to make sure the cream will make the ride more pleasant, not make me want to turn around and cry. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there one product that's better for this than another? Please help as we have a long ride on Saturday morning. Thanks, ladies.

Have you ever had a problem with chafing/saddle sores or are you just hearing you should? I am from the camp of no cream. My saddle has a cut out, which relieves pressure to the most sensitive parts. Now that I am a little chubbier than I like my thighs are lightly chafed. But I take care of those with Aveno lotion when I get home.

Meaux
01-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I have heard that it's a good idea to use it. No problems on the tushy, other than a little numbness and soreness on the sit bones. (We're taking the bikes to get fitted tonight, ladies!!) But I just heard it was advisable to use chamois cream to prevent saddle sores on long long rides (i.e. the MS150). But, again, I'm just worried about using it, because I want no irritation. Does it spread as you sweat? (Sorry if I'm being gross, I don't know who else to ask. I can't imagine asking some bike guy at an LBS. :D ) Is it like a lotion that you rub in, or does it stay outside the skin as an extra layer?

Offthegrid
01-05-2007, 07:32 PM
I would stay away from using Monistat as a preventative measure. You could be breeding resistance.

The chamois butt'r is like a very thin lotion. It is not a heavy lubricant. I could almost imagine using it as hand lotion. It's light and comes off easily. I haven't had UTIs or yeast problems from riding, but best way to prevent is to pee and shower right after riding.

withm
01-05-2007, 08:23 PM
I have very sensitive skin and tons of allergies, esp to anything with perfume in it.

I have used Chamois Buttr for nearly every ride. I put it "all over" esp at the creases. It is magic stuff. Never a problem. If I am only doing a 10 mile ride I won't bother, but it is worth twice the price as far as I'm concerned. If I forget to bring it I will start feeling irritation after about an hour. So not only do I really make an effort to remember to apply it before a ride, I also keep a couple of sandwich baggies with a squirt of chamois butter in the corner, all rolled up in my handlebar bag should I need to reapply on a long ride, or if I wipe too much away on a pit stop. The baggie method is great - just turn it inside out and the baggie becomes your applicator, so you have clean hands afterward. When done, just turn it back inside out and throw away, or put in your pocket to throw when you get to a trash can. Typically I'll make up a bunch of these at a time, so I always have some handy. Much cheaper than buying the "individual servings." And very handy if you are commuting to work.

Wahine
01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I used to have frequent UTIs but I solved that problem before I started riding a lot. It came down to not letting myself get dehydrated, not hanging out in wet swim suits etc, peeing immediately after having sex and drinking cranberry juice regularly.

Since I've been riding long, I have been using chamois butt'r and no problems. I am quite liberal with application. But also still observe the guidelines above, don't get dehydrated, pee right after a ride and get out of my shorts immediately.

Withm: thanks for the tip on homemade individual packs, I will put that to good use!!:D :D

SouthernBelle
01-06-2007, 04:36 AM
uhh... careful with the TT oil. *shiver* it's... uh... well... you'll get it.:rolleyes:

I like that part. :rolleyes:

Brandi
01-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Something I've been meaning to post about. I'm post-menopausal which causes dryness and irritation, esp when I ride. I did a little research and have recently started using a cream with teatree oil. the oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and is also a fungicide. I love this stuff. I plan on investing in a teatree oil soap too. This is more of an after ride thing, so I'm not saying not to use a butter. But I've been meaning to pass this info along.
I have a friend that makes a wonderful teatree oil soap that is all natural if you are interested I would be happy to set some up for you. I stopped using store brand soap about 4 years ago when I discovered my friends soap. Pm me and we will talk or if there is anyone else interested.

khgulledge
01-07-2007, 10:47 AM
i think the chamois butt'r is too liquidy. i have been using Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter (at walmart) since october and haven't had any more problems. i apply liberally (in other words, slather it on!) to the panty line area of my butt. really, don't be skimpy on the amount you use. it'll feel weird at first, but it really works!

aicabsolut
01-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I haven't used any of the butt'rs yet because I haven't done really long rides. At the worst, I'd put something protective like triple antibiotic ointment on the creases by my inner thighs where I can get some chafing.

As for witch hazel and tea tree oil, all that comes to mind is *burning*.. nothing pleasant. Like when you use a muscle rub on your thighs and the vapors get a little too close for comfort. :eek:

BleeckerSt_Girl
01-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I can't imagine why using any of these mentioned lotions and creams on the outside would give anyone yeast infections. I think if you keep reasonably clean, drink lots of water and pee frequently, that might help prevent yeast infections. But I don't think you can get them from using external creams....allergies maybe, but surely not yeast infections?

RoadRaven
01-07-2007, 11:22 AM
My partner and eldest son regularly do over 100km rides each week as part of their training and as a resultoften have sore bums and saddle sores/infected follicles are reoccurring problems.

My question is to do with this - I watched "Hell on Wheels" for the first time last night (it follows the T-Mobile on the 2003 Tour de France). One the 'minders' that took care of Rolf and Erik that year that massaged etc them, also smeared their chamois' with some kind of butter and talked about the importance of getting it evenly spread etc etc...

So, my question... does anyone know what the name of that preparation is, or what its ingredients are.

Everything we have used so far smears into creases etc - that is, straight onto the skin.
It would be great to have something else to assist in the ongoing battles for comfort.

Thanks, Raven

Crankin
01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I started having terrible pain problems when I got my new bike. Two saddles later (I switched back to the first new one recently), I think it was a combination of things. I started using the butt'r and it does help immensly on long rides. I use it everywhere and have had no issues with infections. But, I still was having severe pain in the girly area, so when i went for my annual exam, I told my doc. It seems like the post menopausal problem of thin, dry membranes was really affecting my cycling and when I got my new bike, somehow the slightly different geometry made my seat which i had loved for years aggravate this. I started using an estring, which is like those birth control loops, that supplies a teeny amount of localized estrogen to the vaginal area. My doctor told me that oncologists allow their post mastectomy patients to use it, so it is not like taking oral estrogen. After about 3 months, the issue is completely vanished. Hopefully, i won't have to use it forever, but it was actually getting to the point of making me want to stop riding. I still use Butt'r on longer rides (more than 30 miles) and it just makes the ride feel better.