PDA

View Full Version : Endorphins??

MaineMaid
01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Ok everyone...this is a truly silly question. But, since I've committed to doing the Trek Across Maine, and since I've got to get myself in shape for this, and since I've been on the trainer doing it every other day,( 15 miles each time), I've had some sleep problems.
I originally got on the trainer about 7:30pm and biked until about 8:30pm which was a little late for someone who goes to bed around 9:30p. I found that I was sleepless until 2am.
So, then I decided I would get on the trainer at 4pm; which has some mixed results. The nights that I cycle I'm very restless in bed...get to sleep for good around 1am...not great for someone who is at work at 6:30am. On the nights that I DON'T bike, I'm getting a good night sleep.
So, could this overweight, out of shape, be experiencing an endorphin high?:eek: :confused: :) .
Any suggestions for this?

Jan

KnottedYet
01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Can you ride the trainer in the morning instead? Go to bed earlier, wake up earlier, but sleep better?

sbctwin
01-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I tend to like early morning exercise rather than evening/after work stuff. I go to bed early so that I can get up early. I find when I ride in the evening, I am very restless. Right now I have to the trainer, but I still get up early. I thought about riding the trainer at night to get more time in, but I know it disrupts my sleep.

LBTC
01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Do you do have a relaxation routine that you do before bed and/or after exercise?

Some things that might work:

stretch well and thoroughly after your ride
have a relaxing hot bath before bed
self massage
large amounts of caclium with magnesium and zinc - 1000mg is a very nice muscle relaxant that makes some of us sleepy....
tea works for some
meditation
reading
watching golf (heehee - no, I do not do that)

I'm sorry you're having trouble with sleep! I can't imagine how this would be for me - the only time I have trouble getting to sleep is when I'm getting sick and I don't know it yet! As it is, I get up at 5:30 am each morning, so that I can do yoga (not energetic stuff, just gentle stretching) and not have to rush through my morning to get to work at 8:00 am. The walking commute takes about 25 minutes and, on the few occasions when I get a ride to work I don't wake up for hours! Last year I was pretty consistently going to bed at 11:30 :eek: :eek: I need more sleep than that, so I'm trying to focus on going to bed earlier. That was my wordy way of saying that I'd be one who understands that you may not want to get up earlier to exercise in the morning!!

Good luck, sleep is a wonderful thing!

oh, right, how do you feel the day after having trouble sleeping? Is it having a pretty bad effect or is it no big deal? If it's no big deal, maybe don't even worry about it. Just get a little extra reading in those nights and go to sleep when you feel sleepy.

Hugs and butteflies,
~T~

Bikingmomof3
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
It sounds as though your body reacts well to exercise and mornings would probably be best. I exercise in the morning and run in the evening, followed by yoga for stretching and relaxation. I actually sleep better when I run in the evening. I do know a lot of people will advise not exercising at night. I think it all depends on how your body reacts. Obviously what your doing is not helping you get a decent nioght's sleep, so I suggest trying what others have already suggested. Wake up earlier and try to exercise before work. You may find yourself more energized and relaxed for your work day. :)

kaybee
01-04-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree with the suggestions to get up early and exercise first thing in the morning. Believe me, if you get up around 4:30 and work out, you'll have no trouble falling asleep by 9:30! (Of course, you can kiss any semblance of a social life goodbye.) :D

KB

HillSlugger
01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
It may be taking several hours for your metabolism to slow back down following your exercise. When I used to rock climb in the evenings and get home late from it, it would take me a while to wind down before I could even think of heading up to bed.

hellosunshine
01-04-2007, 01:14 PM
theres that sequence of thought probably put into play "ive trained so i wont sleep",which wont be helping,"ive trained so now i will sleep"is a better track to play ,insomnia is a nasty rut to fall into,but it can be beaten and wont last for ever.

RoadRaven
01-04-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm with others suggestions here. Try and exercise in the morning - exercise raises your metabolism - the exact opposite of what you are wanting as you settle in for the evening.

Good luck in your training for TAM, and wishing you sound rest herein.:)

MaineMaid
01-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Thanks for all your replies; however, I ain't a morning person...and I'm AT WORK AT 6:25 already...so that means that I'm up at 5:15am...I really can't see me getting up at 3:30am to cycle until 4:30am and then shower and get ready for work...I'm liking the feeling while cycling and after...but not that much...grin.
On the night that I don't get on the trainer, I sleep well. On the day after I'm on the trainer, I'm ok...not really cranky...just yawning and slow..and a little whiney...So, I guess I'll have to adjust to it and stop whining...
Thanks,

Jan

velogirl
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm fine with late-day workouts, but when I race in the afternoon I have the same problem. You might try a low-dose sleep aid (just on the days you need it). I use an OTC made by Tylenol without the Tylenol in it (called Simply Sleep). Doesn't cause grogginess with me and my doc is fine with me using it occassionally.

colby
01-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Since you can't change your schedule, I'd try something like a calming tea or other drink, or some relaxation exercises. I have a 20-30 minute PM Yoga on a DVD that's all about winding down the day, something like that might work (or you could use the AM Yoga to start your next day when you're still yawning -- arguably cheaper/better than coffee ;)).

If you are eating or drinking during/after exercise, that could be a part of it, too. I've found if I eat sugar or drink caffeine too late, I can't sleep and when I finally do, I sleep poorly, even if I exercise or go for a walk to burn the energy off.

And, if none of that works, lots of pre-race-day jitters guides seem to recommend sex (and, I presume, related activities) as a good relaxation technique... ;)

MaineMaid
01-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Oooohhh...I never thought about some kind of relaxation ritual...I've got a nice tape,(that I can't find..grin), maybe I'll give it a try... Now as to sex...;) :cool: ;) ;) ...ok... Gotta call that Harrison Ford...see if he's available.

Jan