PDA

View Full Version : Diet & Cycling

trekchic
05-17-2004, 08:27 PM
I know this is beating a dead horse but.........

I am worried that I am doing something wrong. I lost a lot of weight last Spring/Summer doing the low carb diet and working out with resistance machines (pre-cycling). I was resistant to ever add carbs back into the diet. In late Summer, I found the wonderful world of cycling and found out I'd have to add carbs to the diet in order to stay on the bike for any length of time. Well, over time, I've quit watching the diet so closely, and lo-and-behold.........I've put back on 10-15#! I can't seem to get it off even with the increase in activitiy; especially, I am walking almost every night for about 45 min's and cycling 3+times a week. The weight is hanging in there.

So, I am back on the low carb diet for a while, just to get this extra weight back off. Then what? Does anyone do the South Beach diet? They add carbs back in, but only high fiber carbs like fruits and veggies.........anyone else watch carbs and cycle?

Also, anyone heard that caffeine is a metabolism buster? I just heard that today and didn't know it. I've been off carbs totally for 2 days and I already feel a difference. Help! I want to ride, too!

Kim in TN

bounceswoosh
05-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Sorry for the randomness of paragraph ordering here. These are a bunch of loosely related thoughts.

Okay, first of all, if you're exercising, you need carbs. Of course, you know that already.

My husband saw a report on TV today that the vast majority of people who do the low-carb thing gain the weight back, plus some, after 15 months or so.

Me, I'm suspicious of just about anything with the word "diet" in it, especially when you're living an active lifestyle. But there is one thing that every medical professional endorses: exercise. If you're not working out, you're not going to be healthy.

A true low-carb, Atkins diet works by changing your metabolism. It's a lifestyle change from omnivorous to carnivorous, and as little as one pancake breakfast will put your metabolism right back where it started. As such, Atkins is particularly ill-suited for short-term weight loss. And most people who think they're eating low-carb actually aren't -- it's really tough to do.

Are you sure that your weight gains are fat, not muscle?

I've seen steady, but very slow, improvements to my health and fat content by eating lots of small meals, vastly upping my raw fruit and veggie intake, and generally trying to eat foods that are lower in fat. Oh, and lest I forget, working out more.

I know that caffeine is an appetite suppressant -- don't know of its effects on the metabolism. Personally, removing caffeine from my diet has given me much more energy (after getting over withdrawal!) and generally been a big plus.

Biking Chick
05-18-2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by bounceswoosh

Me, I'm suspicious of just about anything with the word "diet" in it, especially when you're living an active lifestyle. But there is one thing that every medical professional endorses: exercise. If you're not working out, you're not going to be healthy.

<snip>

Are you sure that your weight gains are fat, not muscle?

For what it's worth I concur with bounceswoosh - I am also suspicious of the word 'diet' especially when it is associated with lifestyle. Four years ago my husband and I came to the decision that we were not happy with our decision to have a sedentary lifestyle that included a lot of unhealthy choices in our diet. Over a period of time we made a lot of changes which included the way I shopped for and prepared meals, my husband is making better menu choices when he is out of town on business ... and we both have added exercise as a way of life. When we go out to eat (socially) we're often asked if we are 'on a diet' - our answer is no, we are not dieting but making a lifestyle choice.

I also saw the story on last night's evening (national) news about low-fat vs. no-carb diet ... bounceswoosh is right that the current research shows that after six months of being on an Adkins type diet you will begin to gain weight as your body will react to being 'starved' of carbs which are essential to your health. In this particular trail, at the end of one year the two diet groups (low fat and Adkins) had lost almost the same amount of weight.

At my annual physical this spring I questioned both my ob/gyn and my 'G.P.' re: Adkins/South Beach diets and got the same answer ... they are good for a short term way to lose weight but as a lifestyle it is not (in their opinion) advisable. They both said they are suspicious when you remove an entire 'food group' from your daily diet. One of my doctors suggested the book 'Eat, Drink, and be Healthy: the Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating' by Walter P. Willett. I checked it out of the library and learned a lot about what we should and should not be eating (example: my beloved Wheat Thin crackers were a major cause of my elevated tri-glycerides due to the fact that, while they have 'wheat' and would appear healthy ... they are loaded with trans-fats. Just by cutting crackers out of my diet and adding even more olive oil to our diet ... my 'bad cholesterol' was lowered and I raised my 'good cholesterol'). Both doctors also credit my committment to exercise with my chol. numbers.

Bounceswoosh is also right on target with the fact that if you are exercising on a daily basis you cannot use the numbers on a scale as a guideline. Muscle weighs more than fat. One of the things I have had to overcome on my life journey has been to NOT judge myself by how much I weight or what size my clothes are. When my boys were younger I wore a size 6 .. but then I smoked and if I put on 5# I could take it off in a few days. 30 years later I am not a size 6 ;) the only time I get on the scale is when I am at the dr's office. I weight more now than I did when I was pregnant with my boys. For someone who prided herself at being 'small' that could be depressing if I let it but .. I just celebrated 11 years of quitting cigarettes, my cholesteral numbers are excellent (heart disease runs in my family), blood pressure is great, I bike at least 15 miles a day so there are lots of other things for me to focus on than how much I weight.

So now that I've given my lecture on diet for the day I'll climb down off my soap box :)

betagirl
05-18-2004, 05:45 AM
I'm in a similar boat as you, where my weight is steady even though my activity level is up. I did drop off about 7 lbs but gained it all back. I do think that most of this weight gain is muscle versus fat. I've noticed that my legs are more toned, especially my calves. And my stomach is pretty flat. But I get on the scale and it still reads the same weight.

I've been eating a lot of carbs, especially after the whole ammonia smell incident a few weeks ago. I don't eat a whole lot of carbs the days I don't ride though. I'm a vegetarian so carbs are a staple of my diet, so they're hard to avoid.

I don't have much diet advice since I'm in a similar boat, and I think I eat pretty healthy. I don't eat fast food or junk food 99% of the time. But wanted to let you know that you're not the only one with this.

ragbrai40
05-18-2004, 06:31 AM
I've tried them all - Adkins, South Beach, 3-Day diet, blah, blah, blah. Did I lose? Yah, but it all came back on. Most of my success came from the Body for Life concept by Bill Phillips. I don't follow it to the "T", but I have found that by eating 5-6 smaller meals a day and increasing cardio along with weight training has enabled me to lose 20 lbs and keep it off over two years!

I have learned alot from this forum as well as talking to other bikers and the conclusion that I have come to is that if you are serious about riding, then you have to be serious about feeding your body properly and low carb is not the answer. I believe that each person has to find the balance of what works for them as in what to eat before a ride, how much, what to drink, etc, but the bottom line is, you have to fuel your body if you want it to perform.

Don't be a slave to the scale, try those "too tight" jeans on every week, use that as a guide - not the scale. It is not the best way to judge your weight loss, cause if you're building muscle or toning, your body will change, not necessarily the weight.

My weight has plateaued in the same 10lb range for over 6 months, but my clothes size has gone down. So I've quit beating myself up over the "weight" and go by how my clothes feel. I have a pair of jeans that I use as my baseline and if they start getting too tight - and adjust my activity from there.

My philosophy is the same as bikingchick - it's a lifestyle, not diet!

trekchic
05-18-2004, 07:10 AM
I have weighed myself for a few weeks and found that although my activity has increased the scales didn't show the decrease. I am not as hung up on weight as I am on body size.

What are good carbs and what are bad carbs? Carbs turn to sugar in my system. If I don't burn them immediately, I wear them!:D

So, If I watch the intake of white flour, white rice and sugar; and add the fruits and veggies back to the diet along with whole wheat pasta and brown rice (does this include wild rice?) will I be able to stay on the bike, but not increase my weight?

What are good fats and bad fats.......be specific! Olive oil is ok, but veg. oil and animal fats are bad?

Should I be watching calories and forget about the kind of calories I put in my system?

You know.......every week, there is something different on tv about eating habits.......who knows what the truth really is?

I know carbs are the culprit to my weight gain....I mean not burning the carbs.......because my mid section is where I am seeing the increase. I am trying to get a hold on this before it gets out of hand and I am back where I started!

Thanks guys..........

bounceswoosh
05-18-2004, 07:35 AM
One thing I that Covert Bailey says that I like: "There are no good foods or bad foods." It's all in how you use them. You *need* fat and carbs to survive.

One theory you could look into is the glycemic index: http://www.glycemicindex.com/

The idea is that you want to eat carbs that will not spike your blood sugar level. I think. It's been a while since I read about it.

As for "good" carbs vs. "bad carbs," the question is, do you want instant energy, or do you want long-term nutrition? If you're starting to feel the shakes on a long ride, sugar is the fastest way to get some energy back into your body. On the other hand, when you're sitting at your desk all day, you probably want to go for complex carbs that take longer to digest and don't spike your blood sugar.

Good fat vs. bad fat -- there are different theories. Again, you need fat to survive. The RDA for fat is around 50g a day, but you can survive on a lot less than that. I personally shoot for 40g; really aggressive diets might go for 30g. I personally don't watch calories at all; that may or may not be a good thing.

You do need certain amounts of fat, and the omega fatty acids in salmon, for example, have extra health benefits. But that doesn't mean you need a ton of fat. And I'm pretty sure that almost everyone thinks that unsaturated fats are better for you than saturated -- but that doesn't mean that you should be loading up on unsaturated, either!

Have you tried eating many small meals rather than two or three big ones? Some people say that this boosts your metabolism. I don't know about that, but I am less cranky eating little things constantly than I am having three meals. Also, if you eat small meals all the time, your stomach will get used to small meals, and even when you pig out, you'll get full faster.

emily_in_nc
05-18-2004, 08:47 AM
This is a subject that is near and dear to my heart as I lost weight doing a low-carb, higher protein plan (primarily based on the Eades' book Protein Power) a couple of years ago. I only had 15 lbs. to lose, which doesn't seem like much, but on my 5'2" frame made a difference - I went down two sizes. :) I weight trained and did lots of walking during the weight loss and never had a problem with that level of activity on low carb. About the time I finished losing the weight, I started cycling again - this was fall of 2002.

What I found was that I did have to up the carbs to do longer rides (anything > 20 miles), and I also have found that over time I have put a few lbs. back on (just 3-4). The good news is that my new clothes still fit me and I am a stronger cyclist, so I think that most of it is muscle, though I know I'm carrying a bit more flab around the waistline/hips than at my lowest weight. However, I also have a lot more energy, so I can put up with that. At 43, I am not going to have the total hardbody of an 18-year old no matter how much I ride and work out, and I just have to accept that. ;)

All that said, what I do is not worry about carbs on long ride days. I eat plenty of 'em before, during, and after rides. Ride to eat! ;) I often find that my weight inches up 2 lbs. over a weekend, when I ride the most, so during the week, when my rides are shorter, I cut back on carbs to some extent. I don't cut back on veggies but avoid white carbs, potatoes, and sugar. The 2 lbs gained, which I think is caused by the water that carbs cause me to retain, drops off easily during the week, only to return again after the weekend!

I think the key is to favor complex carbs like whole grains, vegetables, and fruits, and try to avoid the "empty" white carbs like white bread, sugar, white rice, etc. unless you're doing a long ride, in which case you can probably indulge without gaining. But perhaps not - you may be one of the people who has to be careful despite a busy riding schedule. It can be hard to get adequate calories/carbs to ride well without going overboard, and I still work on that balance. I think Barry Sears' Zone plan is a good one that can be used by athletes, since it emphasizes a balance of carbs/protein/fat rather than cutting out one group completely. But right now I don't follow any specific plan; I just try to eat healthfully 95% of the time and splurge the other 5%!

I also cut back on carbs some still over the winter so I don't gain weight. I do Spinervals tapes on the trainer, but it's not the same as the long rides I do on the roads during the season (~150 miles per week).

Good luck!

Emily

P.S. Why does everyone want to spell Atkins, Adkins? I see this everywhere!

ragbrai40
05-18-2004, 08:54 AM
P.S. Why does everyone want to spell Atkins, Adkins? I see this everywhere!

See what happens when you're in a hurry and don't spellcheck! :o

Veronica
05-18-2004, 08:55 AM
Adkins - because people think it's an ad for a slimmer body.:D

V.

pedalfaster
05-18-2004, 05:12 PM
I lost 70 lbs on a low-fat, high carb "diet".

And what does that prove?

nothin', nada, zip.

I too am a big fan of Covert Bailey. Calories in vs calories out. "Diets" work (short term) because your food choices are limited and your caloric intake drops.

I've kept the fat off for ~15 years now, but not because of what I eat...my activity level remains high. I gain a bit of weight(fat) in the winter (now that I live where it snows) and loose it over the summer.

I think a better measure of your fitness is body fat % than weight.
Throw away the scale. I like the tight jeans thing too. If they are too tight, eat less, ride more. When they get loose, eat more (but keep riding :D )

Oh and if your tight jeans are loose in the waist but get tight around the thighs...that just means you are becoming a
real cyclist. :)

trekchic
05-19-2004, 03:41 AM
Who is Covert Bailey and what is the name of his book?

Well, my clothes are tight, but getting looser in the waist area. My thighs are bigger, but I don't think it's muscle, yet! I have whittled them away a little.

I am going for the quick loss right now, just get back into my work clothes! I am watching what I am eating and walking every night and riding about 3 days a week. Once I get the weight back down where I need it...and 15# made a huge difference in how my clothes fit!...then I'll relax on the "diet".

I don't do well long term on a "diet". If chocolate is in the house, I'm eating it! So, I've got to keep it out of the house. I also have a job that requires me to be on the road quite a bit. So, fast food is a part of my "diet". I have to make good choices when I go thru the drive thru! I don't have time to sit and eat a salad most days, and truthfully, I'd be hungry again in an hour if that's all I ate. I just know I don't want to 'yo-yo' anymore. I need a plan to get the weight off and keep it off!

My metabolism is minimal due to a thyroid condition. I have about 30% productivity now and have to take Synthroid for the rest of my life. Eventually, the thyroid will have to come out and everyone says you gain weight like crazy once that happens. I just need to get my metabolism kicked in and keep it in!

bounceswoosh
05-19-2004, 06:35 AM
Covert Bailey is a nutritionist who advocates a pretty simple exercise and meal routine.

His website:

http://www.covertbailey.com/

I have Ultimate Fit or Fat

http://www.covertbailey.com/products.asp?id=80

and Smart Eating

http://www.covertbailey.com/products.asp?id=90

UFoF is pretty much his whole theory: lots of aerobic exercise (meaning you can speak short phrases while doing it, but you couldn't deliver a monologue) and a fairly straight forward food plan.

SE is a little bit more on the food part of the theory, plus a ton of low-fat recipes. I've tried a few of them some are really pretty good.

Both books are really cheap and you can probably read through them in a night or two.

What I like about him is that he very much encourages exercise -- he doesn't think you can be healthy without incorporating exercise, no matter how well you eat. I buy that. Also, his food plan seems pretty sensible. And I've felt a lot more energetic with a low-fat meal plan, so aside from any health concerns, it's nice to feel like a kid again. (I know, to many of you, I'm a kid already. But seriously, the first few days I ate low fat, I was climbing around on guard rails and generally just feeling exuberant, looking for things to play on. That's cool.)

Irulan
05-19-2004, 06:35 AM
a couple of thoughts.

*there's a lot of good information that I have run across regarding healthy eating while on the road. Getting out of the fast food mindset can just be a matter of revising your choices when you travel, making substitutions and alternatives. And you do need more than salad to fuel you through the day...

*Covert Bailey, author of "Fit or Fat" and a few other excellent books.

*What do you all think of the Dr Phil Weight Loss Series? I'm fascinated, really he's just teaching people that they need to exercise and eat right, which for some of these folks is a major educational undertaking!!!

penny

Baboo
05-19-2004, 07:29 AM
Well I will throw in my 2 cents. I am growing tired of the low carb craze. (Last nite I saw a sign on the outside of a paint store that was advertising "Lo-carb paint" it gave me a little snicker)
My thought is, eat close to the earth. Eat what nature intended our bodies to consume and I don't think you can go too far astray.
I personally am vegan, though I certainly don't expect others around me to comply. I rarely imbibe in sugar, also anything overly processed. Last year I started doing this, lost 10 pounds (I am 5'2) I feel great, have plenty of enegy and eat what I want.

ACG
05-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Several years ago when my father died, I unitentionally tried to make myself feel better by eating what I wanted, drinking 3
Dr. Peppers a day and leading a sedentary life (I used to walk 45 minutes a day). 20 lbs and 1 year later I realized this was a mistake. Did nothing still for awhile. Skipped meals to keep my weight down. Most of clothes still fit, however tightly. My siblings were all bigger than me, and I mean by at least 50 lbs., so I never felt fat/big. I'm latin so we eat lots of fat. I went thru many other life changes for another year (too many to list).

My hubby bought me a mountain bike. I'd been wanting to go back to riding. Bingo!

No more Dr. Pepper's! = no more heartburn at night
No more fast food = no more bloating
Make most meals at home = more money/control of diet

I went from a size 16 to a size 12, but it took me a year and I didn't really loose a lot of weight. Pre-pregnancy I was a size 4, too skinny, then went to a size 8, then size 16. I've toned a lot. Things fit better. I have breasts now too, thanks to age and 2 kids. I'd like to be a 10, but am not holding my breath.

My hubby (who is not latin) recently found out that he has the triple whammy, high BP, high Cholesterol and high sugar. He has always struggled with his weight, tried Jenny Craig, Atkins, Starvation, pills, weight watchers, etc. He never really had his heart in it and he expected me to monitor him all the time. (I used to find McDonald's wrappers in his car)

I'm eating what he eats now - I do allow myself some things, sometimes, but not in front of him. Lots of vegetables, lots of variety of vegetables, fish, chicken, fresh fruit, in controlled portions

His doctor told him that the reason I had low BP, cholesterol and blood sugar is because of a few things: Hereditary and regular exercise. This makes him mad.

I haven't read all the diet stuff, I look at labels, try to eat healthly as I can. Eat sorbet instead of icecream, skip donuts, don't eat canned or processed foods the way I used to.

My self imposed, self created diet works, just slowly. My doctor seems pleased with my progress over the last year.

We are all different individuals, with a different make up. We all look different. I want to loose weight, but don't weigh myself, I gage myself on how my clothing fits, and how far I can ride or walk or run. I don't follow the diets I see on TV, etc.

I feel better when I exercise, so I do it. I eat 3 meals a day, take my vitamins. Now that I've stopped trying for a quick fix, it is easier to concentrate on keeping my weight/size at bay. Be patient is all I can say, stay the course. See a doctor if you feel the need for close monitoring.

I have 2 girls 20 and 14. I've preached to them that they should not gain their self esteem from their looks outside, but the good person they are inside. I worry about this a lot.

I guess what I'm saying is do what feels best for you. Okay, soap box over and out.

kimba
05-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi- thought I'd get in here and add my 2 cents worth.

2 years ago now I lost 45 pounds...a lot of that was due to a lifestyle change - in that I became more active- was doing the gym 2 - 3 times a week- and then yoga and cycling. And- I started eating differently. Lots of fruits and veggies- steaming veggies, no butter on them. Which does not mean that I don't enjoy an occasional Baked potato with sour ceam and butter- but hey-
I completely cut out soft drinks- and limit so called "juices" that are primarily sugar. I drink bottled water instead.
I don't do the fast food thing anymore either- very rarely I will have a burger- and now I can't eat at say McD's- because I can't take the grease.

By this - I know I'm doing the right things.

I accidently found out that I do better and lose weight on pasta and rice. Potatoes are killer for me. What was a staple of my diet before? Potatoes.

I'm not really looking at it scientifically I suppose. I'm just trying to eat smart.
I eat to live now- not live to eat. I limit myself to one helping generally- enough to take the hunger away.
and if I want to have dessert? Yeah- I'll do it. I'll have half a slice of pie- or one small scoop of ice cream - enough to take the craving away. I'm a chocoholic- I love the stuff-
I'll put one small chocolate or a couple of pieces of dark chocolate in my lunch. Takes care of the cravings and then I don't overdo. I can't drink a full can of Pepsi now- it's too sweet.

The thing is- I don't torture myself. I pretty well have what I want- I just don't overdo.

So- lots of fresh veggies - green leafy and orange veggies too.
Lean meat- chicken or steak, grilled.
Pasta or rice.
I'm not a big fish fan unfortunately.
I eat 4 - 5 small meals a day. Every couple of hours. Eat breakfast! That is really important to kick start your day.And kickstart your metabolism.
And I eat 1 or 2 slices of sunflower and flax bread a day- for fibre and carbs.
And green tea. Lots of green tea.

I've kept it all off - well- I gained back 5 pounds over the winter- but it was a COLD winter- and it's all gone now.

I want to try to lose at least one size this summer. 2 would be nice.

I look at my legs- they are more toned..I see that flab has disappeared from here- and here- but gravity will pull it down, y'know. So I am gradually changing my body shape. It's happening- it's just slow.
Maybe the flab isn't disppearing quickly or apprently from my abdomen- but it is from my face, my arms, my waist...
I had a heck of a lot of fat to lose- and it's going. And it's going to take time. I try to be patient - look how long it took me to put the weight ON- but when I get impatient that it's not going fast enough-I look at how I was- and how I am now...every once in a while I put out my "fat" belt- and I cinch it up until it is out of holes- and it keeps going and THEN I realize just how much I lost.

I was showing a friend a video I took 3 years ago on my trip out west...He's only known me a year-
when I came on the screen- he got this shocked look on his face - I had forgotten- he didn't know what I looked like. He was totally shocked- and impressed.

One more thing about relative "weight"

I gave some of my clothes- jeans - to a friend at work as I was losing the weight-

She told me what she weighed- I was 2 sizes smaller than her- and weighed 30 pounds more.
From me lifting weights and cycling.
That was VERY telling.

I feel healthier, and better- I am stronger.
And that's what really counts.

I don't want to be on a soapbox- every body is different- but I do believe you have to listen to your body- and I really am suspicious of these so called diets- cause by definition a diet is just that- a limiting regimen that usually does not provide for an enjoyable or sustainable in the long term lifestyle. What ever happened to Susan Powter? See what I mean- whatever is the latest fad.

What was that old joke?
Diet is DIE with a T?

Kimba
but I HATE ab exercise! Just hate it....thank goodness for yoga.

bounceswoosh
05-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Grats Kimba! Those are a lot of lifestyle changes. Yes, you say that you eat what you want, but it still takes discipline not to go for that second helping. Your story is inspiring!

I know what you mean about belly (and thighs!) vs. the rest of the body. My cycling jerseys were all tight around my upper arms last year -- this month, I noticed that there's actually room there. My pants are a lot looser around the lower leg, and a bit looser around the thigh, but I still wear the same pants for my waist. The waist just doesn't want to give.

I can really tell the difference in my face, though, and so can my friends. My jawline is much more defined than it used to be.

I have far to go till I reach my goals, but it's great to see this progress.

It's so hard to tell the difference between healthy goals and unhealthy self-image. When I was in high school, I was at a martial arts studio pretty much every waking hour that I wasn't in school. I remember always thinking I was overweight. Now, looking at pictures of myself back then, I was a twig! I didn't have bulging muscle, but I sure didn't have bulging fat, either. I was lean. I just couldn't see it through my own expectations.

Anyway, I'm not lean, now, but sometimes I really have to sit back and look at my arms, my legs, everything. I like to flex my thighs and see the muscles actually moving. Same with my calf and shin. Sure, I don't look like a pro, but I see progress.

kimba
05-19-2004, 02:27 PM

It's so hard to tell the difference between healthy goals and unhealthy self-image. When I was in high school, I was at a martial arts studio pretty much every waking hour that I wasn't in school. I remember always thinking I was overweight. Now, looking at pictures of myself back then, I was a twig! I didn't have bulging muscle, but I sure didn't have bulging fat, either. I was lean. I just couldn't see it through my own expectations.

I know what you mean-
me too! I look at the pics of myself in high school- I thought I was whalin'
but- I was just muscular!
I mean- I had to wear men's boots because my calves were so big. They were big because I cycled everywhere...same with my thighs and butt. Sure I had some fat on me- unfortunately I am NOT genetically predisposed to lean and tall...but really- I was fine. And yet- I thought I was HUGE.

Kimba

It's a travesty what is happening to young girls and their views of themselves. They go on diets and limit themselves- but they need fats and proteins in their diets to promote healthy growth!

It's sad, really.

trekchic
05-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Hey guys! Boy, have I got a lot of research to do. I started this thread because there is so much conflicting info on "other" boards of what you should and shouldn't eat; when you should eat it and how much. I am not happy on the carb-free diet. I am not happy watching my abdomen increase in size either!

I am going about this all wrong, I can tell from everyone's posts. I need to forget about what I am doing wrong and increase what I'm doing right.

1) I am walking every day for at least 45 min's.
2) I am cutting back the amount of "empty calories" such as sugars and white flours from my eating plan (no more diet!).
3) I am riding my bike at least 3 times a week for about an hour right now and plan to increase time and speed as the season goes on.
4) I am going to watch the amount of food I put into my body, only eat when hungry and only what I truly want to eat!
5) I am going to guage my weight loss by how my clothes fit, not by the scale.
6) I am going to concentrate on being healthy, not skinny!

This is a great thread! Keep up the great stories.

Kim in TN

Biking Chick
05-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by trekchic
4) I am going to watch the amount of food I put into my body, only eat when hungry and only what I truly want to eat!

Kim in TN

You *might* want to try writing down everything (and I do mean everything) that you eat for a week ... the results will probably surprise yourself.

When my clothes are feeling a bit tight and I will *swear* that I have not eaten anything out of the ordinary I'll grab a spiral notebook and start writing down what goes into my face ;)

The results are that I will realize I'm not eating as healthy as I thought I was or I will be more aware of what I am about to put in my mouth but won't ... because I don't want to write it down!

Getting an idea of when you have the urge to eat will help you get over those hungry 'humps'.

I agree .. this is a great thread.

fultzie
05-19-2004, 06:09 PM
I was just wondering...
do those of you that drink soy milk notice that it's easier to put on weight in the abdomen, butt, and chest?
i read somewhere that men who drink a lot of alcohol *sometimes* put on weight in the stomach, butt, and chest, because alcohol ups the production of estrogen (and this is where women also tend to gain weight first). :eek: hence the "beer belly" effect.
i also read that soy has a type of estrogen in it, and was wondering if it might have the same effect. :confused:
i might be waaaay off base here, but since i switched to soy milk, i've noticed that i have more weight in the aforementioned areas, whereas before i gained faster in the shoulders and face... maybe i'm hallucinating, and should stop pigging out on ice cream?? :p ;)

grannydea
05-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Trekchic, Biding chick is right. Write it all down and you will be surprised how much you eat that you dont relize you eat. Drinks count too. Along with portion sizes. It is all about cals in cals out. If I want to lose (which gets harder every year closer to 50 :( ) I cut down or out the bad stuff (refined sugers bad fats ect) and try to just drink water (but do have to have the decaf coffee in the mornings.) And try and up any and all physical activity including riding. If you are going to eat it you need to burn it is what I try and tell myself. Also DIET is a bad word around here. ;) one sure to make me cranky and feeling sorry for myself. Which tends to lead to weight gain.
:confused: :eek:
Be healthy!!
Dea

Adventure Girl
05-20-2004, 08:36 AM
For those who are interested in tracking their calories in and calories out, you might consider a computer program called Life Form http://www.fitnesoft.com/. You enter a bunch of general information about yourself (height, weight, activity level, etc). It then calculates your basal metabolic rate.

Then each day you enter everything you eat. It has a data base with the nutritional values of many foods. And you can add items to the data base. You also enter how much you work out each day. You can either enter: 2 hours of cycling at a “moderate rate” or you can enter 2 hours of cycling at a heart rate of 155. Then you can view the info on lots of different charts and graphs. It’s pretty interesting to see it in writing.

I’ve had the program for a while and I use it off and on. I usually use it when I’m training for something or if I’m trying to drop a few pounds.

trekchic
05-21-2004, 04:46 AM
I love that sight! You're so right about writing things down. I had no idea the capiccino I drink (I make it from home) had as many calories as it shows! the 1/2 cup steamed milk and 2 tsp of choco syrup were killers!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't show how much it is, though, to purchase. Any idea?

That shows my problem in weight loss. At my current lifestyle, I should be burning almost 3000 calories a day! I must be eating stuff I haven't counted in the past or not keeping my intensity of exercise at the level I think it is.

Great stuff!

bounceswoosh
05-21-2004, 06:35 AM
You could try http://www.fitday.com/ ; it's a free website. Kind of nice since you can use it from work or wherever you have web access.

I used it for about a month, and it was definitely an eye-opener. Now I have a much better idea of what I'm eating. I have a feeling I'm about due to keep track of everything again for a few weeks ...

It's a pain in the *** to make sure you enter everything, but it is definitely worth it. It's hard to make diet changes when you don't know where the excess is coming from.

It's also very worthwhile to look for nutrition info on the web before you go to a restaurant. I found out that my favorite sandwich at one place is more fat than I was trying to eat in a whole day! The scariest, though, was plugging in the numbers for a bagel with chicken salad.

Dogmama
05-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Some of you are probably sick of me harping on this...if so...apologies!

HOWEVAH....

If I don't keep/add lean muscle, I gain weight. I can bike like crazy, but after awhile my body gets used to it & doesn't shed weight.

I must lift weights - 3X week, full body routine. I also try to run at least one day a week to mix things up. As we age, we lose muscle. Also, the type of muscle fiber we're recruiting through biking is different from weight lifting. You won't get big muscles through cycling because you don't stress the legs enough. 8-12 reps stresses the muscles enough to start getting larger.

Think about Lance - he should have weight lifter legs - but his are muscular and smaller. It is from the type of exercise he does.

Don't worry - we ladies don't have enough testosterone to get really big muscles. But definition is nice!

Biking Chick
05-22-2004, 03:57 AM
When I was in high school, I was at a martial arts studio pretty much every waking hour that I wasn't in school. I remember always thinking I was overweight. Now, looking at pictures of myself back then, I was a twig!

While shopping for mother of the groom dresses two years ago I was alternately frustrated with the frumpy 'mom' dresses that made me look like my great-grandmother and dresses that I liked on the hanger but didn't like on me.

I finally narrowed down my options to two dresses - one pretty traditional and the other ... not .. but I still was whining to myself about not really liking what I saw in the mirror. And then it happened.

One of those A-Ha moments.

It dawned on me that first - it was not about me. It was about my son and his beautiful partner in life. For the 30 seconds it took for my husband and I to walk down the aisle people would look smile in our direction and then ... that was it. So why was I having such a hissy? Then I realized that 10 years from now I would look back on their wedding pictures and think .. what in the hay-yell was I having such a fit about. I looked darned good!

Helped me to put things into perspective and the result is that when the voices in my head start criticizing how I look I remember how short life really is and I choose not to spend it complaining about looks. I could stand to lose five or ten pounds but it is not the end of the world.

Besides .. the ultimate compliment came when I tried on my dress to show my son and (now) daughter-in-law and my 28-year old son said with a straight face, "Aren't you going to show up the bridesmaids?"

Surlygirl
05-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Hey Bounceswoosh
Thanks for the link to fitday. I had a program like it years ago and I found it was the only way to lose weight. I downloaded the program on Monday and since then I have lost 3 pounds this week. It is a real eye opener when you have to log in everything you eat and the calories and see just how much a little snack here and a nibble there really add up. Plus I like to see my progress and the charts really motivate you, especially when they go down.
Thanks again.

bounceswoosh
05-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Three pounds this *week*? That seems pretty aggressive.

Anyway, glad it's working for you.

Surlygirl
05-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Yup, I'm sure its just because its the first week. I'm eating 1200 caloried a day which is what my Dietician suggested and less than 40 grams of fat. I haven't done much biking or swimming this week though because of the weather and I may have to up the calories on days I bike and swim.

Jadelinski
05-23-2004, 02:09 PM
To give you some advice in this area - I hope I don't bore everyone. I have been on Atkins for over 8 years. It is a long term solution, it is not a "diet", it is a lifestyle choice. As Americans, we eat too much, we worry too much & are bombarded with too much. Even with low carb foods you can over eat & alot of them are processed (low carb or regular - processed is processed). Hence, the best advice to give anyone is to eat within moderation, cut back on processed foods & eat more natural foods. That is all that Atkins ever tells anyone. Most people don't get past the Induction Phase of the book and really don't understand what he's trying to say. Eat a more natural diet. That's it!! I have also come across many issues for myself regarding enough carbs & cycling. I have found that eating about 1/3 of a Mojo bar before I go out & cycle my 16 miles a day gives me the boost I need & does not affect my ketosis. I like the Mojo bars because they don't have corn syrup in them. Very bad stuff. Read labels, know what you're putting into your body. You are unique and you have to find your right groove when it comes to what makes you burn fuel the best. You have to go with how you feel. The best diet to follow is the one our grandparents had living in the midwest. Natural foods from a garden, no waffles from the corner market!! Try to look at everything you stick in your mouth - especially hydrogenated oils. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Those folks from the 60's & 70's that we thought were strange because they ate alfalfa sprouts & organic foods knew exactly what they were talking about!!

I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago (including ovaries - oopherectomy) and have been on natural hormone replacement therapy for the last 3. It has been a rollercoaster ride definitely in trying to get everything balance, but that's another story!!

I have been cycling for a year and a half as my husband introduced me to it. WOW! I love it!! He has been cycling for 20 years and my first day on my LeMond Tourmelet I discovered very quickly two things - I MUST HAVE A WOMAN'S SEAT AND WOMEN'S SHORTS!!! Owee!!! Once I got those things, I have been happy as a clam!

Sorry, I got sidetracked........... as you get older it is much, much harder to lose weight as I have discovered even on low carb & natural hormones. If you feel good & your clothes fit good, you're awesome! And yes, muscle weighs more than fat - there will be a conversion of body fat & sometimes you can actually weigh more as you build muscle. That's just the way it is. You can always go to a fitness facility and have your percentage of body fat tested. That's the only way to know if it's fat or muscle.

Take care!!

icepanthar22
05-24-2004, 11:41 PM
I have to say that I have had the most success on the Body for Life Diet by Bill Philips. I lost 34 pounds in 6 months, and I felt fabulous. I have put 10 of it back on because I had not been motivated to hit the gym and eat properly all of the time. I think that his "moderate carb-protein-low fat" approach is the healthiest way to go. Just another opinion...

ragbrai40
05-25-2004, 06:47 AM
I posted earlier in this thread regarding BFL and the 25 lbs I've kept off for two years, what I would like to add is that his cookbook "Eating for Life" is absolutely wonderful! I've tried numerous recipes that taste unbelievable and the best thing is that my husband and kids actually LIKE them!:eek: That never happens when I'm trying new recipes! Usually it's "gross, what's that stuff" - but they've liked most of what I've tried out of the book.

If anyone is looking for some kind of guideline for meal planning, this book is full of ideas, recipes and meal plans. It was the best $20 I've made in a long time. Plain cottage cheese and tuna gets really boring after awhile!

And the best thing is that the recipes are simple and do not require elaborate preparation or ingrediants. I like to cook, but it takes time and planning to try out new things - this was a cinch.

Just another opinion.......

Oh - one last thing - if you like the BFL concept, there is a journal available where you track your workouts, meals and goals. It's a great tool to stay motivated and on track. Amazon.com offers a package deal if you buy a combination of the BFL series.

Ok I'm off the soap box for now!;)