PDA

View Full Version : My "new" Brevet Bike

maillotpois
01-02-2007, 05:16 PM
Trekhawk and others had requested a photo of my new bike set up. Jo got to see it in person the other day!

DH had wanted to get a new brevet bike for my birthday - but I really wanted to use my old Colnago. It's titanium, super comfy and absolutely bullet proof. So, given that our finances don't really support the idea of a new bike right now (for anyone, ahem!), he got me a fabulous Peter White wheelset - with a Schmidt hub and generator and dual E6 lights.

It should be super bright!

So here are some pictures of the lights and hub (with the bike sort of in the background :p )

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/maillotpois/CIMG2770.jpg

Here's the hub, close up:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/maillotpois/CIMG2772.jpg

Front view:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/maillotpois/CIMG2771.jpg

Ultimately, I will put my bar bag and all the other equipment on for the longer rides. Still not sure which bike I will use for doubles or the Death Ride. I won't need the hub for those, but it's hard to resist bringing it out!

Veronica
01-02-2007, 05:17 PM
Nice! How much do the new wheels add to the weight?

V.

Offthegrid
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
*drool*

maillotpois
01-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Nice! How much do the new wheels add to the weight?

V.

No clue. With the wheels, the bike feels about 20 lbs, same as my Merckx. It was in the 18 - 19 range before. The wheels themselves did not feel significantly heavier than the ksyriums that were on there, just holding them a wheel in each hand.

The lights are super light. So to speak.

Only real difference is I will have to carefully unplug and replug the hub wiring if I have to change a flat.

Veronica
01-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Hmmm... food for thought.

Don't get any flats when you're stupid tired, okay. :p

V.

SadieKate
01-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I really think you should show your patriotism more.

maillotpois
01-02-2007, 08:14 PM
I know - it is totally over the top. But I loved the juxtaposition of the red white and blue on an Italian bike. Now I wish I'd gotten something more benign. I actually didn't take it to France in 2003 because of how it is painted.

I think I will rename him "Barack"....

8bit
01-03-2007, 02:04 AM
That's PURTY. And not just because I'm staring at the Record shifters, I swear. You'll have to tell us how the hub and lights work out, because I'm tempted to use the local bike store's wheelbuilding classes as a chance to put one into the tandem.

SouthernBelle
01-03-2007, 05:17 AM
Now you need some red or blue tires! :D

Looks very cool.

KnottedYet
01-03-2007, 06:04 AM
Very nice! Those headlights are awesome!

wannaduacentury
01-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I love the patriotic colors :) Really Cool. Happy Riding. Jennifer

SouthernBelle
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Notice how the 3rd pic looks like 2 big eyes, wheel is a nose and bars are hair and ears?

Trekhawk
01-03-2007, 12:44 PM
WOW what a beauty. The lights look fabulous. Have you had a chance to check them out at night??

What model Col is that?? CT-2??

You are a lucky girl. I wish Colnago still had a Titanium model (LOL not like I could get one even if they did).

Now I just need to see it in person so I can really oggle it.:D

maillotpois
01-03-2007, 01:06 PM
WOW what a beauty. The lights look fabulous. Have you had a chance to check them out at night??

What model Col is that?? CT-2??

You are a lucky girl. I wish Colnago still had a Titanium model (LOL not like I could get one even if they did).

Now I just need to see it in person so I can really oggle it.:D

I have not yet had it out at night. I plan to start doing a ride or 2 in the early (dark) morning during the week so that should help me test the lights.

The Colnago is an Ovalmaster. They don't make them anymore. It has an ovalized down tube and the top tube is also shaped - like a diamond with the sides pushed in. I got it almost 6 years ago. It's seen a lot of miles. It's Campy record 9 speed with the racing T triple crank (because that was before Campy made a record triple - and now I hear they've stopped making them again!). Since it's just a 9 speed and I know that I will need a SUPER granny gear for long brevets, I plan to get a smaller ring on my triple. I spent an inordinate amount of time in my granny gear, on the flats mind you, during the 600k last year.

Trekhawk
01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I have not yet had it out at night. I plan to start doing a ride or 2 in the early (dark) morning during the week so that should help me test the lights.

The Colnago is an Ovalmaster. They don't make them anymore. It has an ovalized down tube and the top tube is also shaped - like a diamond with the sides pushed in. I got it almost 6 years ago. It's seen a lot of miles. It's Campy record 9 speed with the racing T triple crank (because that was before Campy made a record triple - and now I hear they've stopped making them again!). Since it's just a 9 speed and I know that I will need a SUPER granny gear for long brevets, I plan to get a smaller ring on my triple. I spent an inordinate amount of time in my granny gear, on the flats mind you, during the 600k last year.

Yep glad I got my new bike while the Campy triple was still around. I was shocked when I read that they wont be making triples anymore. Whats with that??

Mate I cant imagine pedaling for 600km in any gear. You are an inspiration to those of us that are feeling nervous about 200kms.:o

Bad JuJu
01-04-2007, 04:29 PM
OK, I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but I'm dying to know--what's the deal with that hub? Why is it so fat--what's inside there?

Other than that, gorgeous bike, and I luvvvvvvvv those lights.

Sheesh
01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Bad JuJu, I was thinking the same thing. And, what's a brevet? I know I could google it or do a search on here, but I'm too lazy. :rolleyes:

Fredwina
01-04-2007, 08:30 PM
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9214&highlight=brevet
or
www.rusa.org

maillotpois
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
OK, I'm gonna show my ignorance here, but I'm dying to know--what's the deal with that hub? Why is it so fat--what's inside there?

Other than that, gorgeous bike, and I luvvvvvvvv those lights.

I didn't see this before! The hub is fat because it has a power generator inside it. When the wheel turns, power is generated and powers the headlights. So you can ride through the night without worrying about batteries, etc.

Fredwina's links pretty well answer the "what is a brevet" question.

pooks
01-10-2007, 06:24 PM
GORGEOUS! And I love those headlights! Where did you get them?