PDA

View Full Version : (Long and Less Long) Runs - 1/1 to 1/7

KSH
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
OK ladies! It's a new year!

I nursed a hangover on the 1st, and today (2nd), I got on the treadmill for 3 miles. I figured I needed to sweat out all the vanilla vodka I drank. :p

I was orginally going to go 2 miles, but felt good and added on another mile. The treadmill running is getting easier and I was able to hold a 10 minute mile without killing myself.

Tri Girl
01-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Good job on your 3 miles, KSH! See, you're coming along VERY nicely with the running! And just last year you thought running was over with for good. The new year brings new promise of running pain free again! :D

Today I ran 4 miles on the trail. It was hilly and muddy (fell a few times), but it was fun. I'm in marathon mode again, so it's back to a regular running routine... March 18th is just around the corner!

Have fun out there ladies!

KSH
01-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Today I ran 4 miles on the trail. It was hilly and muddy (fell a few times), but it was fun. I'm in marathon mode again, so it's back to a regular running routine... March 18th is just around the corner!

YEP! New year and hopefully a lot more running! HA!

4 miles in mud with hills? :eek: Yea, no thanks! Gosh I even go around puddles as to not get my shoes dirty.

March is only 3 months away! Very close. Let us know how the marathon training goes.

yellow
01-02-2007, 03:07 PM
KSH...I think those treadmill pace calculators are way off. I'll bet your effort is better than a 10 mm! I have pretty much given up the treadmill for running. Most of the time I'm able to run outdoors and the temps have been in the 20s and 30s, so now when I run on the TM I get so hot and feel like I'm going to blow up and vanish in a cloud of sparks and smoke. Since I don't have a cabana boy there to fan me and mist me down the whole time, the new TM strategy is to put it on the highest incline it has and to walk for 30 mins. I figure it's good cross training.

I haven't run in several days (I skied Fri-Sa-Sun-Mon), so I decided a run was in order today. I too did a trail run, but I went early, so the trail was icy and solid (and still some snow on it even...it was 23F); the traction was superb. I did one of my usual loops, 6.4 miles. But slower than usual as I did have to walk a few of the especially treacherous spots and I did walk a couple of the very steep hills (which I normally walk).

I can't wait for the days to get longer so I can get trail runs in on non workdays!

SadieKate
01-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Since I don't have a cabana boy there to fan me and mist me down the whole time . . . Maybe we can get Susan to carry these on TE. :p

Bikingmomof3
01-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Maybe we can get Susan to carry these on TE. :p

Yes, definitely. :)

KSH
01-02-2007, 05:30 PM
KSH...I think those treadmill pace calculators are way off. I'll bet your effort is better than a 10 mm! I have pretty much given up the treadmill for running. Most of the time I'm able to run outdoors and the temps have been in the 20s and 30s, so now when I run on the TM I get so hot and feel like I'm going to blow up and vanish in a cloud of sparks and smoke. Since I don't have a cabana boy there to fan me and mist me down the whole time, the new TM strategy is to put it on the highest incline it has and to walk for 30 mins. I figure it's good cross training.

I haven't run in several days (I skied Fri-Sa-Sun-Mon), so I decided a run was in order today. I too did a trail run, but I went early, so the trail was icy and solid (and still some snow on it even...it was 23F); the traction was superb. I did one of my usual loops, 6.4 miles. But slower than usual as I did have to walk a few of the especially treacherous spots and I did walk a couple of the very steep hills (which I normally walk).

I can't wait for the days to get longer so I can get trail runs in on non workdays!

You are way more HARDCORE than I am lady! :D

Seriously. I opted for the treadmill because it was 45F degrees outside. Yea, I knind of hate it, but I wanted to tortured by the treadmill over the weather.

Snow? Trail Run? 6.4 miles? You are amazing! Great job!

Deborajen
01-02-2007, 05:58 PM
My long run was Sunday. I was planning on running 5 miles but ended up coming home at 3 1/2 or so. It was snowing - which was waaay cool - but it was also a little windy so running into the wind meant getting pelted in the face by wet snow. That part I didn't care for, so I tried getting off the running path and onto some of the lightly traveled neighborhood streets but there were lots of unavoidable puddles and I ended up with wet feet in 30-degree weather, so I headed home.

I should have dressed better, but all in all it was an exhilirating run. I had the paths almost completely to myself, there was hardly any traffic on the streets, and the snowy landscape was peaceful and relaxing. Great for the mindset. I'll worry about mileage and pace next time. ;)

Happy New Year everyone, and have fun!

Deb

kaybee
01-03-2007, 08:15 AM
I have a tradition of always running on New Year's Day, so I ran 4.5 Monday, 3 today, we'll probably do 3 tomorrow, then 6-7 on Saturday. Have also gotten back to the post-run weight workouts, and I put my bike in the trainer yesterday and pedaled for 25 minutes. Gotta get rid of some holiday indiscretions!

KB

Grog
01-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Aaaahhh... Still haven't run this week. I told sweet partner that I was going to run tonight so I'll have to I guess.

I rode 300 km the last week of the year because I needed them to get to my yearly goal (6000). I hadn't been in the saddle for over 3 hours in a long time. I was okay when riding but on the 1st and 2nd of January my legs were SO heavy I had a hard time walking and had very little energy.

Thanks for being an inspiration you all. I'll be there. I have to write myself a training plan for that triathlon, too.

colby
01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, I ran 4 miles today in the cold rain, but the rest of my weekends have been spent snowboarding pretty much every day I can. So, in the last week or two, the longest run I've done has been 6 miles.

Since I miss having a goal, I've been going through my triathlon training plan books and trying to see how I might plan out the year.

My "new" tri goal for this year ("new" being something I've never done before) is to do a HIM, but I'm going to have to find one. I found one tri that's essentially double a sprint tri, but that's not quite HIM. I live 15 minutes from the area where IMCdA is held, but they don't do a HIM, and I think I would be considered nuts if I committed to a full IM. :) (Not to mention, how would I one-up myself next year!?) I don't have a new "run" goal for this year other than to get faster. For the bike, I do also want to do a century ride, at least. My winter goal is supposed to be to lose weight, but I feel a little lost there. It's hard for me to transition to seeing everything as "fueling" to creating an intentional deficit.

I'd really just like to hand someone a list of possible events and goals and say "can you make me a training plan for this?" but I don't know how you'd really go about doing something like that.

Anway, happy running, ladies. :D

KSH
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Well, I ran 4 miles today in the cold rain, but the rest of my weekends have been spent snowboarding pretty much every day I can. So, in the last week or two, the longest run I've done has been 6 miles.

Since I miss having a goal, I've been going through my triathlon training plan books and trying to see how I might plan out the year.

My "new" tri goal for this year ("new" being something I've never done before) is to do a HIM, but I'm going to have to find one. I found one tri that's essentially double a sprint tri, but that's not quite HIM. I live 15 minutes from the area where IMCdA is held, but they don't do a HIM, and I think I would be considered nuts if I committed to a full IM. :) (Not to mention, how would I one-up myself next year!?) I don't have a new "run" goal for this year other than to get faster. For the bike, I do also want to do a century ride, at least. My winter goal is supposed to be to lose weight, but I feel a little lost there. It's hard for me to transition to seeing everything as "fueling" to creating an intentional deficit.

I'd really just like to hand someone a list of possible events and goals and say "can you make me a training plan for this?" but I don't know how you'd really go about doing something like that.

Anway, happy running, ladies. :D

Snowboarding is cool and exercise.

Yea, it's hard to get motivated when you don't have a goal. Hhhuuumm.... a HIM... sounds interesting! I hope you can find one to sign up for.

And you know, if you hire a coach and hand them a list of events you want to do... they create a training plan for it all... :D Although, they are pricey!

colby
01-03-2007, 08:58 PM
And you know, if you hire a coach and hand them a list of events you want to do... they create a training plan for it all... :D Although, they are pricey!

As long as you get what you pay for, I think it would be worth it. I'd hate to invest a ton of money in a relationship that just doesn't work. I also don't really consider myself an "athlete" and a "coach" would require that leap of faith ;)

Bikingmomof3
01-04-2007, 04:43 AM
Finally got a run in after being a slug for the past few weeks. Those four miles were difficult. How could my legs forget so quickly. :eek: Tonight's run should be easier, I hope. Thank goodness it will be cooler, I prefer running when it is under 35*F.

Happy running to all. :D

kaybee
01-04-2007, 05:07 AM
Colby, I know what you mean about needing a goal to work toward! I feel like I'm floundering since the half. I had planned to do the Mardi Gras Half on 2/25, but our older dog is having some health issues, and I know I won't be comfortable boarding him to go off and do something fun, so those plans have been scrapped. I'm checking around for something local to do, but haven't found anything that will work. There's the ING Marathon and Half Marathon in Atlanta in March, but they will not have race day packet pickup, and I'm not willing to drive to Atlanta (3 hours round trip) two days in a row. Let me know if you figure out how to get motivated!

KB

tattiefritter
01-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Dragged my lazy carcass out for a run this lunchtime - did my scheduled run of 2 miles easy then 3 miles quicker but my left calf is bugging me again :mad: I have just bought new trainers as I think my last ones had actually worn out the new ones helped but there is still a niggle which was slowing me down a bit.

Got 11 miles scheduled for Saturday so hopefully I can attack it with ice, tennis balls, stretching, strengthening and ibuprofen in the meantime and it'll help :) Actually quite annoyed though.

rocknrollgirl
01-04-2007, 07:04 AM
I am going today...this afternoon. It is going to be ugly. I am sore from the weekly night mountain bike session last night. Looks like a delayed brick workout again...

Will report back later.

rocknrollgirl
01-04-2007, 04:00 PM
well, it was tough, but not as bad as I thought it was going to be, and not as bad as last week. I even managed some striders on the way back, and it was a beautiful day to be in the woods.

Done!

Aggie_Ama
01-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Well after realizing I used a whole lot of excuses not to maintain my fitness goals in 2006, I set my mind to doing better in 2007. DH packed on 30 pounds thanks to his medicinal steroids, so we are both needing to drop some extra baggage.

We went to try out our little local trail, it is only .8 miles around the local Lions park. Tonight we did 3 laps and it took 25 minutes. :eek: I used to do a 5k in 23-24 minutes. It is horrible how quickly you can get out of shape.

Tomorrow we will run again. :D

Tri Girl
01-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey Amanda, did you make it back out on the road again?
Don't worry about your time the other day- it just stinks that we lose running fitness at lightspeed!!! At least you're out there again- I'm sure your legs are just ecstatic that you've taken them out to play!

Ran 8-9 miles today (on the trail, so I'm not exactly sure how far). It was tough, but felt good. Next time remind me to bring the Garmin so I know how far I went... :)

Who else has been running?????

btchance
01-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Did 2 runs this week, all pretty low intensity. The first one was about 4 miles, keeping a slow but steady pace the entire time. The second was today, a brick. I biked 25 miles then ran 10 minutes out at a slow pace, then picked it up a little on the return. Actually didn't hurt as much as I had expected it too (but let's keep that in perspective here, since this was my first one since October :eek: )

Tri Girl
01-06-2007, 03:03 PM
(but let's keep that in perspective here, since this was my first one since October :eek: )

Ummmm... does this mean when I do one again it's not all going to come right back???? :rolleyes: I haven't done one since my IM in Sept. Hmmmm.... I think if I wait a few more months it won't hurt at all when I finally do it again. :p

Good job on the runs, by the way! Are you glad you're back "home?"

Aggie_Ama
01-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey Amanda, did you make it back out on the road again?
Don't worry about your time the other day- it just stinks that we lose running fitness at lightspeed!!! At least you're out there again- I'm sure your legs are just ecstatic that you've taken them out to play!

Ran 8-9 miles today (on the trail, so I'm not exactly sure how far). It was tough, but felt good. Next time remind me to bring the Garmin so I know how far I went... :)

Who else has been running?????

Ugh- I felt like a newbie Friday. Hurt all over, didn't run. DH and I decided we might be jumping in a little to quick. It will be two rides, two runs a week until we build some fitness. Next run is Monday evening. We tried to ride today but the weather just wouldn't cooperate. I could drag my pretty new Cannondale out through the rain, we turned around and logged 5 miles.

btchance
01-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Good job on the runs, by the way! Are you glad you're back "home?"

Yep! Back home and hard at work, completely enjoying it ! (says the girl who will be up and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off for 36hrs straight) and yes, I am being sarcastic today :p

Tri Girl
01-06-2007, 07:12 PM
and yes, I am being sarcastic today :p

We wouldn't want you any other way! Stay sane! ;)

Amanda- good idea on building back up slowly. You'll get it back in no time! :D

alpinerabbit
01-07-2007, 12:03 AM
New "distance PR" - 12 km yesterday. I need a rest week though. my hip flexors are a bit tender.

Wahine
01-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Hey Alpinerabbit,

It's great to see that you're up to 12 km. 3 more to go and you'll be at your goal of 15. :D :D For your rest week try to just do a couple of runs, really light intensity and short 30 min max. OR you could cross train with the elliptical or better yet, you live in a great place for cross country skiing!!
(PS - can I come visit you one day?)

As for me, my last real run was on Thursday, 4 miles or so, low intensity with 30 sec fast intervals to regain form without taxing the system too much. I'm a huge fan of high turnover drills and intervals.

Yesterday I had my VO2 max testing done on the run and bike. It was the typical good news/bads news scenario but well worth the money, time and pain. :eek: I won't bore you with the details. Summary: all the type of training that I love - aerobic distance, I perform really well metabolically in those areas. But once you kick up the intensity as would be required for hills on the bike or big gear riding, I SUCK :mad: :mad: Well, makes it easy to figure out what to work on.

Happy running everyone. I get a day off today. :)

alpinerabbit
01-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Hi Wahine,

I will cash in on your help the week after next. I am really a bit worn - I was a good girl over the christmas hols and then last week, so next week would be justified as a rest week. Yes, that's true, only 3K more to go. Those 12 were not too too hard, just my hips started giving me the occasional stitch in the end. But I was too high on the HR (more like 155 but it felt comfortable!!).

Cross country skiing - I would love to have a go at that, but there is no snow at all in the lowlands. I'd have to travel for the weekend to get to see snow. Hope we'll have some soon, at least for decoration.

You are very welcome to visit should you pass by Switzerland :)

Wahine
01-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Alpinerabbit,

We used to go to Europe a lot when my DH was active in research, (he would often get asked to come work at various Universities for consultation purposes), but alas he has retired from this work and we are building a house. No funds to go to Europe. But one day....

kaybee
01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Eight miles yesterday. It was one of those rare runs when everything just feel into place and I felt strong and confident, one of those days when you say "Yes, THIS is why I do this!" Even the hills were easier, AND I've found a goal race -- the Chattanooga Half on March 3. It's only 40 minutes away, so no traveling or boarding of my furry guys. I can do the race and get home before noon. I love having a plan.

Stay healthy, ladies!

KB

Aggie_Ama
01-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Yesterday DH and I rode 15.18 miles in 20 mph winds. We knew we didn't have much time to keep riding, so we came home and put on our running shoes. We ran around our neighborhood, which has some rolling hills. It was a little over 20 minutes, about 2 miles. I couldn't handle any longer, it was cold!

We really want to do a duathalon this year, I should probably try running after cycling more. :)

I am impressed with all the long runs, I need to build back up. With a little work I hope to be back in the 4-5 mile range in the next month.

KSH
01-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Yesterday DH and I rode 15.18 miles in 20 mph winds. We knew we didn't have much time to keep riding, so we came home and put on our running shoes. We ran around our neighborhood, which has some rolling hills. It was a little over 20 minutes, about 2 miles. I couldn't handle any longer, it was cold!

We really want to do a duathalon this year, I should probably try running after cycling more. :)

I am impressed with all the long runs, I need to build back up. With a little work I hope to be back in the 4-5 mile range in the next month.

I live in the Dallas area... and we rode yesterday too. UGH! Those winds were BRUTAL. I swear around 2-3 they got even stronger. My neck is so sore today from tensing up in the wind.

We (my fellow tri board people and I) rode 30 miles and then ran 2 miles. My run was so-so. Running into the wind... miserable.

If you want do a duathlon, you really need to try to incorporate bricks into your workouts, on a regular basis.

Well, keep up the great work!