PDA

View Full Version : Ummm... gonna need some SERIOUS vibes...

Running Mommy
01-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey Ladies-
Hope all is well out there in TE land. I haven't been around much lately because I've been in my winter molt.
Now the sad thing is I was SUPPOSE to be training for a marathon... sigh...
But I think after 4 stand alone marys and an IM mary I'm just burned out on the 26.2 mi distance- and more importantly the training.
I just cannot for the life of me get motivated to run for longer than 2 hours. I've done a couple of three hour runs, but I should have done at least 2 in the four hour range. Lets just say I'm slow (thats the nice way to put it). My marathon PR is a whopping 5:47, so a two hour run is just barely getting going.
Well my race is next weekend - walt disney world- and I've been dreading the day for the last couple of weeks. I know that I'm in no shape for it,
but I figured I would just muttle through it as best as I can. I'm hoping that the good old muscle memory will kick in magically at some point :rolleyes:
And then I saw the weather forecast for the race...
low 62, high 84, 71% humidity!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Ok, I have embraced the arid desert that is Phoenix. I LOVE my dry air. LOVE it!! And I HATE humidity! When I was visiting our friends in Atlanta a couple of years ago I about DIED from the humidity! On my run I felt like I was being suffocated.
So here I am, facing 26.2 sun drenched miles with the humidity smothering me like an old wet blanket..... And I'm way undertrained to begin with....
Sigh... This is gonna be a TRAIN WRECK!!!!!
At this point I'm just going to try to keep on target to make it in under the 7 hour cut off! And I was hoping to come in around 5:30.... Sigh... Whaddya gonna do?
I suppose I have to own up to the fact that I chose not to train properly, and just do the best I can. And of course hope for some miracle!!!
Maybe Jenny Ewing will be watching over me that day and she can offer me some cooling effects from her wings... All I know is I'm gonna need an angel that day. Yes I am...
So please wish me luck! And send some dry air vibes my way next sunday. Oh and some running legs wouldn't hurt either... :p
Ciao!
Denise :o

Thistle
01-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Hey Ladies-
but I should have done at least 2 in the four hour range.

So please wish me luck! And send some dry air vibes my way next sunday. Oh and some running legs wouldn't hurt either... :p
Ciao!
Denise :o

Running mommy.... i am sending you lots of very very dry air from downunder ... you can have ALL our dry air...i hope it makes its way to where you are running :D

I am in shock that anyone can run for 4 hours :eek: :eek: :eek: but have to say i'm always mesmerised by the marathon on the olympics.. DH cant understand how i can sit and watch them for over 2 hrs, but it's just cos i'm in awe :D

So, you need to remember that by average jane citizen standards, you are amazing to even attempt a marathon. Try not to be so hard on yourself. I reckon if you finish in those conditions you need to give yourself a huge pat on the back and remember that most mere mortals couldnt even conceive of starting a marathon let alone finishing one. :o

You rock for going in it :D

Oh and good luck. Hope you legs are itching to run and the humidity disappears altogether.

Wahine
01-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Good luck running mommy. I'm sure you'll finish fine, maybe not a PR but that's OK. When I did my first IM and my legs were lead for about 10 km due to electrolyte imbalance, I made little goals for myself on the way and it helped immensely. For example "I'll just run to the next light post, then I'll just run to the stop sign" and so on. Hang in there when the going get tough and set some regular walk breaks for yourself, you'll make it through.

I'll be thinking of you. Try to have fun! :)

Velobambina
01-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Denise -- I'll be sending a lot of good karma your way on race day (especially those last awful six miles!). I bet that once you get there and get caught up in the race atmosphere, you'll be fine. Maybe that easing back on your training will actually help you this time---an extra long taper after all your 2006 races? You never know. Just go for smiles, not miles, and you might surprise yourself.

Bikingmomof3
01-02-2007, 04:21 AM
You can do it Denise! I have been humbled by the humidity that I live in. I cannot believe I ever complained about dry heat. :o I miss it terribly. With that said I know you will do well. I am impressed you are even attempting the run. You continue to inspire me to become a better runner. Try not to worry about the time, and remember it is supposed to be fun. I am cheering you on. :)

Running Mommy
01-02-2007, 06:54 AM
I really appreciate the well wishes. I just need to get through this thing.
The funny thing is I'm actually looking forward to getting this race over with so I can get my ironman training started in earnest.
I haven't been riding much. It's been run, Run, RUN....

Tri Girl
01-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Ok Denise- you KNOW you can do it!!! You've done 5 marys- you've got this one down. It may hurt a little more than normal, and may take longer than you'd like- but your legs know the distance well and you can do it!!! I like what Velobambina said- worry about the smiles not the miles! You know you can cover the distance, so just go out there and have fun. After all, you're in Disneyworld- there couldn't be a more fun place on earth! You'll do great- just don't think of it as 26.2 miles- break it down into 4 10K's then a short 1.4 mile run. A 10K is easy, you're just doing 4 back to back with lots of support- no problemo!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!! ;)

And I feel you on the stand alones- the training is just boooring! I say this as I'm getting ready to do a marathon in VA Beach in mid March. This time I'm only running 3-4 days a week and continuing my regular tri training the rest of the week. I figure that formula worked when doing IM training and my IM marathon was the most fun I had, so hopefully it'll work for this one. :)

alpinerabbit
01-02-2007, 07:25 AM
http://webpages.charter.net/trussell/pictures/good%20luck%20bears.jpg

rocknrollgirl
01-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Even if the race is stinky...there is always....

The Mouse!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offthegrid
01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey. I think you'll have a lot of fun running around Disney and seeing all the characters. But if you really, really can't wrap your head around the idea of the full marathon, maybe you can switch to the half? I think it has a pretty tough time cut-off, though.

KSH
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, this sounds a bit like torture for you. But you know... we all know... that sometimes what we build up in our head is 100 times worse than reality. It might be better than you think?

Maybe you can cut yourself some slack on this one? For example, only run the 1/2 and call it quits. I know sometimes it's hard to let go of goals that we set for ourselves... but unless your head is in this... starting very soon... it's going to be a hard, miserable race out there.

Honestly, you have proven that you can do it. You know you can do it. So, maybe this one can be one last horay for fun? Wear some mouse ears... cheer others on who are running... find a buddy to walk/chat with some of the way. Just go out there and do what you heart wants to do... and let it go.

I will certainly think of you and wish you luck. And when you are out there, think about this:

From Zia_Cyclist: Another aspect of mental training is recognizing the difference between pain and suffering.

Pain is an acute, hurting feeling that if you don't stop immediately will lead to injury.

Suffering on the other hand is that feeling you get when pushing your body to the limit. Don't get me wrong, it hurts. But, suffering isn't going to lead to injury.

When I read about this and learned the difference it lead me to push harder on some of my long runs and in races.

If it's pain... STOP! If it's suffering... push past it... or if you don't care to suffer anymore... STOP. It will be OK if you stop.

emily_in_nc
01-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Hey cool, a coworker of mine (male) is flying down to Fla. to do the Disney World marathon too! It will be his first marathon, and he's been training like crazy. I run next to him on a treadmill at the gym at work often, though he goes on much, much longer (and faster) than me. He actually likes the heat/humidity, crazy guy... I like warm weather too, but NOT for running!

Congratulations to you on all your past marathons (having run only 3 miles max in my life, I bow down to you!) and good luck dealing with the wet heat...we're even supposed to be in the 70s here in NC this weekend, which is just insane in January. Global warming, anyone?! :confused:

Emily

Running Mommy
01-02-2007, 06:44 PM
I think you NAILED it!!
My running coach was actually trying to talk me out of it this morning. His reasoning was that I'm heading into IMAZ training full bore and I don't need to go into it trying to recover from heat exhaustion or some odd thing...
So I'm going to have fun. Yeah I would LOVE to beat my old PR, but it aint gonna happen, and I AINT GONNA WORRY ABOUT IT!!! :D
And if it gets to be too much, well I will just stop.
Anyhoo, thanks all! And if you feel so inclined you can check up on my progress on Sunday to see what becomes of Denise and her silly marathon.
www.disneyworldmarathon.com
click on the red CLOSED buttin for the marathon and then the athlete splits are over on the right side.

Athlete Denise Amos

Ciao bellas!!! :)

colby
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Athlete Denise Amos

And don't you forget it. :D

No matter what, you'll do great, RM. You already know it's not going to be your "best" so take the time to enjoy all the things you normally DON'T about a race when you're trying to PR or you're trying to bust your hump getting there. Most importantly, just get there safe and sound, even if "there" doesn't turn out to be the finish. It certainly doesn't make you less hardcore in our books!!

You've got plenty of time for training (and more interesting training!!) coming up, so make this a 'C' race and if you decide not to finish, so be it. The mouse ears are just not worth the torture of Florida humidity for 26.2 miles if you're not ready for it. Back when I went to WDW last February, I was thinking "and this is the NICE season??" ;) I can't imagine running 26.2 in that heat AND humidity.

Running Mommy
01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Ok girlies (and silvers hubby too if your reading this) I'll be winging my way to the house of mouse in just a few hours. I was hoping to meet my brevet hero, but it looks like she'll be busy. BOO HOO!!
Thanks for all your well wishes. You guys have really pumped me up and changed my outlook. I'm just going to go out there and have fun! I'm even gonna take a camera and just enjoy the day!
As long as I don't go off and get heat stroke and end up in the med tent I'll be golden. But the thing with me is I know to slow down before something like that happens. I've been an aid station captain at full iron distance races for too long. I know what to look out for.
So anyhoo, I'll try to check in post race, but if I can't, I'll catch ya'll when I get home.
Ciao bellas!
Be safe out there!!
Denise

Bikingmomof3
01-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Good Luck and have fun! :)

Running Mommy
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
It was HOT and HUMID today!! (or YUMID as my new yorker friends say) and is suppose to be hotter tomorrow. Forecast is 84 and 71% humidity!! I'm praying for cloud cover because that seems to help... So can I get a little cloud cover chant out there... "Ohhhhhmmmmmmmm Bring cloud cover to disney world tomorrow between 6am and 1:oo pm oooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmm":D

Bikingmomof3
01-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Best of luck tomorrow and I will be wishing you cloud cover and lower humidity.

btchance
01-06-2007, 04:23 PM
good luck tomorrow, I'll be sending you positive vibes. Just keep hydrated and putting one foot in front of the other. you did an IM, you can do a marathon. Oh, and don't forget to eat lots of goodies afterwards, and think about how much fun you'll have flying down the road on your bike soon!

rocknrollgirl
01-06-2007, 05:05 PM
yep...that is training in New Jersey June through October...hot and Yumid...muggy we say...gets brutal, as it does many places on the east coast in the summer....we end up training at the crackage of dawn to avoid it.
That is why I love training in the fall and winter...

Good luck tomorrow. I will do the dry and crispy weather dance for you.

Tri Girl
01-06-2007, 07:09 PM
GOOD LUCK DENISE!!!!! :) ;) :)

colby
01-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Hoping for clouds... GOOD LUCK!! http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g287/colby-digital/cheerleader3.jpg