PDA

View Full Version : Well?????

rocknrollgirl
12-31-2006, 04:57 AM
What has everybody been up to? I know we are at the end of the holidays...and I see new bike pics and posts......

Anybody been riding????

We are doing a middle of the week night ride, every Wed and then weekend rides. The weather has been so nice, it feels like our winter season has been an extension of the fall season. The rides have not changed very much.

I have my eye on the start of the 2007 race season, which will start for us in April witha six hour adventure race, and then an off road tri in May.

So I have added swimming to my run, bike schedule this winter.

So??? What is going on? Rides, Goals, Plans....

Ruth

Tri Girl
12-31-2006, 07:13 AM
We're doing a 2 hour group "end of the year ride" today on the trails nearby (although it will be a very muddy ride, it will be a ride nonetheless). I try to ride the trails by my house at least 1-2 times a week. I am seriously neglecting my road bike, tho, and fear that when tri season begins I'll be wondering what happened to my roadie legs...

My goals for 2007 are to ride my mtn bike at least once a week during tri season, complete an XTerra event (or one similar- an off road tri and du), and to not break any bones on the trails. Pretty simple, pretty attainable goals. :)

Your April race sounds like fun!!! If you do the off road tri before me you'll have to tell me all about it!

LBTC
12-31-2006, 07:57 AM
We're going snow shoeing today. No chance for rubber to hit the trail for months here.....

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

7rider
12-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Anybody been riding????

Riding????
What's that? :confused:

My goal for 2007 - mountain bike-wise - would be to actually USE my mountain bike. Shamefully, it came out once this year, and that was to noodle around the block after I put the bracket on the handlebars to hold the Garmin GPS that I use on the road bike. A bracket for each bike - whether I use it or not! :(

But....DH got fancy new wheels and disc brakes for his buggy this year, and he's hoppin' to ride....so I'm sure we'll be heading out some time soon.

SalsaMTB
12-31-2006, 10:10 AM
The weather here has been miserable for trails. Don't get me wrong, I love this unusually warm winter, but the warm/cold cycles mixed with rain have caused the trails to be MUD! I was able to go on the trails a couple times last week though, it was so much fun. It made me miss it today when I was pedaling through the rain during the road ride :(

Crankin
12-31-2006, 01:16 PM
My mtb goal for 2007 is just to get better. In order to do that, I have to get on my mtb more. But, I always feel like it's taking away from my road time. I admire everyone who is fearless on the trails. Not sure if that will ever happen for me, but I will keep trying.

Robyn

fatbottomedgurl
12-31-2006, 05:45 PM
Riding has been down to once a week. First finals and term papers due, then rain, and the holidays. But I plan to ride tomorrow!
My DH has surprised me with a trip to Red Rock Nevada in two weeks. Yeah!
And I should be getting my new bike soon since Trek surely has finished all the Christmas rush Project Ones...I hope I hope I hope.

My goals: ride a couple times a week despite a full load of school, raising adolescents, managing household, working freelance...what did I miss?
Happy New Year!

rocknrollgirl
01-01-2007, 04:18 AM
Robyn,
That will come with time in the saddle. The more you ride, the braver you will become. Just have a little chat with your road bike. I am sure that he/she will understand.

Let your inner dirt girl run FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pebble
01-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I've been riding the usual 1 or 2 times a week. My boy starts preshool this year for 2 days a week and my girl will be in daycare for 2 days a week - one day which will be no kids at home, so will probably be able to sneak in an extra ride there.

Hmm, my goals are to use the trainer more often (when I can't go riding due family comittments) I haven't been motivated enough to harly ever get on it.
It is summer time here though and I don't mind riding in the heat at all.

Funny actual riding out on the trails is the only exercise that's fun & not really like exercise to me;)

Other goals are of course more on a personal basis - better parenting etc and also give up soft drinks (soda drinks) coke, pepsi etc which is a biggie.

And I've recently converted my bike to 1x9 which is great, I'm loving it even more.

Hope everyone has had a great Xmas & Happy New year with hopefully lots of ride time & fun times for all.

Steph
01-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I plan on getting a new bike soon and blowing my husband away on the trails,lol!
Seriously, I plan to venture out to some new trails (tried the Ocoee in TN a couple weeks ago and loved it!) and to get bikes for my kids to get them more involved.

Susan126
01-04-2007, 06:56 AM
I ended 2006 by leading a mountain bike ride for my local mountain bike club. Eleven people showed up for it and we had a BLAST! The day was COLD, two of the riders fell in the parking lot as we left for the trails. No one fell on the trails once! We had sunshine all day long! It was the best ride and everyone had fun. After almost four hours of riding we came back exhausted and headed to a local eatery for food, drink, and talk!

I hope 2007 rides will be as much fun (if not more) as the one that ended 2006!

Since that ride though I have not been on my bikes. :( Raining like a cow pissing on a rock over here. Sigh . . . looking for those blue clear sunny days!

Keep on riding! Sue :)

dirtygirl1
01-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Sounds like everyone is planning to have more fun on their bikes this year ... yay!

I started off the year with a great local mtb ride ... we are having sooo much fun exploring the trails. i can't beleive how dry it is on trails we've been riding considering how much rain we have been getting!!!

As for racing stuff, i am going to make the switch from the Norba style races i was doing in Canada (Canada Cups) back to the longer stuff again. i've done a few multi-day races but have never tried a 24 hour solo. This is the year --we'll see how it goes! I am going to pick out a few other longer events to try as well -- maybe the Cascade Creme Puff?

The decision was made becase of my commute to work. When riding it takes me 1.5 h rs each way(44 km each way) so i really don't have the time to do additional interval training during the week. So... the 3 hours of riding a day sets me up pretty well for the long stuff ... I just have to add some longer hours and lots of hills on the weekends and I should be set.

So for me it's lots of hours exploring local trails and getting to know my new home which suits me just fine!

happy trails everyone!

Dirtygirl.

BoPeep
01-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Anybody been riding????

I have my eye on the start of the 2007 race season, which will start for us in April witha six hour adventure race, and then an off road tri in May.

So I have added swimming to my run, bike schedule this winter.

Ruth[/QUOTE]

Ruth;
I am riding heaps at present but that's cos we are in the middle of summer and I am getting ready for a BIG 50km event in March. This is an epic event with heaps of walking/carrying hike-a-biking, so am trying to fit in some running to cope with this part of the race.
However, I am pretty clueless as to how to get in my 4 rides and several runs a week without totally killing my legs. :confused:

Anybody got any ideas on how to best manage this? All advice gratefully received.
Cheers
Plugging away in NZed

indysteel
01-17-2007, 05:56 AM
No riding here. After weeks of mild weather, we are finally getting some winter weather. The previous two weekends have been rainy as all get out. This weekend looks drier, but it's going to be realllllly cold. I've had tons of excess energy to burn, but I'm trying to look at it as a chance to take a break from the bike. I've been going to a lot of yoga classes and am really enjoying the extra practice. Plus, they're helping me fight the winter blues. In particular, I've going to an intense Vinyasa class on Saturday mornings that lasts between 2 and 2 1/2 hours. The class is, as billed, very intense, but I love it.

I've also been going to several spinning classes each week, too. One of the instructors quit before the holidays and several "regulars" are trying to recruit me as the new instructor. I'm reluctant to do it, mostly because it will eventually interfere with road riding when the weather turns nice. I think I'd rather just be a student.

I bought a CycleOps trainer before New Years and have been using it some. I'm glad that I have it, but it's pretty darn boring. I can't say that I enjoy it very much. My bike, however, looks very lovely in my living room.

Good luck to everyone with their 2007 goals. This will be my first full year of riding and I'm hoping to ride about 4500 miles and to improve my climbing. I'm also looking at doing at least one multi-day tour. Right now, I've got my eye on BRAT, the Bicycle Ride Across Tennessee. If anyone else is planning on doing it, please let me know.

Kate

BoPeep
02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Hi KAte;
Is BRAT like RAGBRAI - Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa? I did this event back in the 80's ,when I lived in Canada, a couple of times and it was heaps of fun with heaps of people.

Enjoy.

I'm also looking at doing at least one multi-day tour. Right now, I've got my eye on BRAT, the Bicycle Ride Across Tennessee. If anyone else is planning on doing it, please let me know.

Kate[/QUOTE]