PDA

View Full Version : Trek 7.2 FX WSB

caligirl2
12-28-2006, 09:26 AM
Hello,

I am very new to cycling. Started regularly in Sept, and on a good weather week, which was up to this point:( I have been averaging 60 miles a week on a paved trail.

I am a mom, so I dont get a whole lotta of time to myself, but when I do, I feel great and lost some weight too. I am enjoying it tremondously.

My old huffy has been very good to me these last few months, but I feel it is time to upgrade a bit.

My goal is biking for fitness only, no racing in the future, nor any MTBing.

So what are your thoughts on the Trek bike, I found Giants bikes a bit more pricey.

Are there other fitness bikes with Flat Handlebars that you could recommend?

Thanks everyone....Happy Holidays!

SadieKate
12-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Welcome aboard!

I was recently shopping for bikes for friends. I was very impressed with the FX line from Trek. Good value, good components and lighter weight than the competition.

Did you look at the 7.5? I'm only asking because I've had several friends who are upgrading pretty fast because they didn't buy a better bike to begin with. It will cost more in the long run. Plus, this time of year you may be able to get a good price on a 2006 model.

uforgot
12-28-2006, 04:06 PM
I own this bike and I love it. I have had it for over a year. It's what I started on, and I really don't recommend getting better components. You'll discover that if you want to upgrade, you'll want a great road bike or mountain bike. My lbs told me that it was like putting Cadillac parts on a Volkswagen. Better to see how you like riding, and what type you want to do rather than put a lot of bucks in a "fitness" (hybrid) bike. Then you'll have a better idea of where to put your money. He was right, I now have a Jamis Quest for a serious road bike, but I still ride my Trek as a commuter/go get the groceries/pick up the mail, etc. I have a rack, lights and panniers on it. It's a great bike and has given me absolutely no trouble. It also seems to hold it's value pretty well. (I check the local ads and ebay once in a while, guess that's an advantage of it saying "Trek"). You'll want to replace that Bontrager seat of torture, though!

caligirl2
12-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and input!

I figured out early on that the seat must go....what is a good comfort seat without looking like...well, too nerdy???

mimitabby
12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
well, you might go to the saddles thread and read about the Brooks saddle.
it is divine. There are a lot of other saddles too, but that's just the one that works for me.

uforgot
12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I just saw where you said your goal was fitness only. I didn't address that. Yeah, that was my goal too. It took all of a few months on this board and riding for that to change! Now I have three bikes, the Trek, a road bike and a mountain bike. I didn't think I'd want to mountain bike either, but you would not believe how much fun it is to go on some of those trails through the woods, and they aren't all crazy with hills and rocks either! I wish my kids were little again and the three of us would be riding in the woods all the time! It's amazing. The Trek will also go on Rail Trails and there are a zillion of those around. Just today I purchased a book on Mo. Wildflowers and I plan to take some pictures and identify them when I'm on them. This biking thing is verrrrrrrrry addictive! Let's meet back here in one year and see if you resisted the temptation! My guess is that you'll have a drawer of lycra and Smartwool like the rest of us!:D

Bruno28
12-29-2006, 05:52 AM
I have the Trek 7.2 FX WSD and I think it's a great bike. I haven't had a problem with the saddle either.

TrekJeni
12-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Welcome aboard!

Did you look at the 7.5? I'm only asking because I've had several friends who are upgrading pretty fast because they didn't buy a better bike to begin with.

I agree with SadieKate. My BF's dad just bought a new 7.7 to ride when he has to lead the slower riders on our end of the month rides. It was a little overkill to be riding sweep on his Project One for our 50 mile rides! :D

Jeni

laughlaugh18
12-29-2006, 03:34 PM
I've got the 7.5fx wsd and love it. I'd tried the 7.2fx and it felt much clunkier (a technical term, I'm sure :D ) than the 7.5fx. If you know you're going to put some miles on the thing, I'd also recommend looking at something higher than the 7.2.