PDA

View Full Version : After-ride nausea?

Biking Kitsune
05-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Hi,
I'm almost totally new to cycling, and starting out on (short) 5-10 mile rides...
The trouble is, every evening after having biked, even if I feel fine afterwards, I'll wake up feeling *very* nauseous. It'll fade slightly through the early hours of the morning and I'll be able to sleep later on, but it bothers me and is quite discouraging.
Does anyone else have this problem, and if so, how can it be treated? I've tried eating just very small amounts of easily-digestible food afterward to get my blood sugars up a bit after the exertion.

Adventure Girl
05-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Let's try to troubleshoot:
[list=1]
Does it only happen when you ride in the evening?
What happens if you ride during the day?
Does it happen only when you cycle? What about other types of workouts?
What is your fitness level?
Did you consult your doctor before staring this exercise program?
Do you eat before you ride?
[/list=1]

I've never heard of anything like this that is cycle related. Anybody else experience this problem?

Biking Kitsune
05-14-2004, 09:38 AM
1. Does it only happen when you ride in the evening?

1&2 A: I haven't really been fortunate enough to have much time to bike any other time

3. Does it happen only when you cycle? What about other types of workouts?

I used to have a similar reaction to gym class, which was my last real physical excersise

4. What is your fitness level?

Pretty low. I have terrible cardiovascular fitness (get winded running 50 yds) though I'm skinny, my cardiovascular and muscular systems aren't what they should be outta neglect... trying to remedy it with biking, though

5. Did you consult your doctor before staring this exercise program?

Not really. My last physicals were good except for the out-of-shapeness. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) that will cause me to be nauseous in times of stress or after eating or 'just because'

6. Do you eat before you ride?

If I do, it's usually very small amounts and mostly high in complex carbs like a pb&j sandwich an hour beforehand, etc.

Adventure Girl
05-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Biking Kitsune
3. Does it happen only when you cycle? What about other types of workouts?
I used to have a similar reaction to gym class, which was my last real physical excersise

5. Did you consult your doctor before staring this exercise program?
Not really. My last physicals were good except for the out-of-shapeness. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) that will cause me to be nauseous in times of stress or after eating or 'just because'

Doesn't sound like it is a cycling issue. I vote for another trip to see your doctor. Or maybe a different doctor... Or do some research on IBS.

Good luck.

Biking Kitsune
05-15-2004, 12:51 PM
I think my situation is improving. This morning, my hubby and I went biking and had fast food burgers, and I'm still feeling fine. I think it's just a matter of too much physical work too late in the day...

hibiscus09
05-16-2004, 06:07 PM
Make sure you well hydrated also -- very important! :)

Steph_in_TX
05-16-2004, 06:21 PM
I have a good friend with IBS and she rides. She's found that her episodes will hit when they will hit, but she's seen a decrease with increased exercise and increased fiber intake. She's also found she's absolutely got to stay hydrated or she lands in the ER getting a few bags of fluid. IBS is tricky...good luck finding something that works for you.

Biking Kitsune
05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
I've never heard of IBS contributing to dehydration that was so severe it required hospitalization and IVs... do you know the circumstances of it?