PDA

View Full Version : Day after christmas annual hike!

Brandi
12-27-2006, 07:50 AM
We do this every year. It is the hardest thing to get up and do after all the christmas hipe but when we are up in our coastal mountains breathing the crisp fresh air .. it is so worth it. We get up early and all meet at a resturant have a hardy breakfast. Drive about an hour and half up the coast to big sur on the famous highway 1. And then we do the 2 mile straight up hike to a place called Cone Peak. We go from sea level to about 5,500 feet. We bring snacks and someone always has a "Warm you up" drink. This year there was only 3 of us and because of that we almost didn't go. And it was supposed to rain. But we have done this hike even when it was snowing. And that is very rare on the california coast. So we always remind ourselves of the fact that every time we go it is a breath taking and it really cleans the soul of all the icky stuff! Here are some pictures past and presant. The one with the snow is from 4 years ago. if you look close in the background that is the pacific ocean. This is so rare the forest rangers asked us for a copy for a magazine they have for the area. But you can see from the other pictures how it is always different.

Haudlady
12-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Wow! Those photos are amazing - it looks like a beautiful hike.

I love those traditions. They are such a nice way to mark the passing of time... I always feel more "grounded" when I keep certain traditions. You're right, though - sometimes it's hard to get started!

Offthegrid
12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
What a perty hike!

Brandi
12-27-2006, 02:45 PM
thank you!:D

Tri Girl
12-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Wow- those pictures are breathtaking! I can see why the rangers wanted the one of the snowy mountain- it's so beautiful! What a pretty hike you take each year. And I'm glad that you didn't back out this year- you would've missed such a spectacular view! Wow! :)

Brandi
12-28-2006, 03:27 PM
yea there have been a few times when we talked ourselves out of it and really felt like we were missing something.