PDA

View Full Version : hysterectomy - when can I get back in the saddle?

jujubebe
12-24-2006, 02:02 PM
hi, girls,

I am here at home, a little over a week post-op. i had a complete hyterectomy, uterus, tubes, ovaries, cervix, done through a vertical abdominal incision (retread over C-sect scar): official reason, metrorrhagia, real reason, family history of ovarian & breast cancers.

I would love to hear from anyone who has had an hysterectomy, or any other major abdominal surgery, and how you got back in shape, how long it took, etc. I know that a lot of healing and tissue repair is going on, no wonder I'm sleeping about 12 hours a day. Trying to eat lean and nutritious, since i can see how easy it will be to pack on pounds at this level if inactivity. I am taking a 15 minute walk outdoors now, and I'm off the Percocets (whew!) Still, I can feel myself deconditioning - yikes.

Hope to hear from someone.

Happy holidays, everyone!

LBTC
12-24-2006, 02:41 PM
Jujube, I hope your recovery is fully complete and as quick as is best for you! I haven't had this experience, but know that you need to listen to your body - get the sleep you need, get the nutrition you need, supplement if necessary, and work your way back to health and fitness gently and persistently. Enjoy your daily walks and be patient with your body as it heals!

Merry Christmas!

~T~

rocknrollgirl
12-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi,
I had a partial hysto 3 years ago. Kept my ovaries, horizontal abdominal incision, 15 staples. They removed the uterus and a fibroid the size of a grapefruit.

I went in to the surgery in excellent health. I was sick for about two weeks before from the tumor, but prior to that I was a lean , mean climbing, mt biking machine.

So all that being said...8 weeks before I could start really doing any real exercise. I walked every day, slowly. Every day....

My doc knew that I was in great shape, but he cautioned me about too much too soon. He said that if I tore any of the internal stitches, that he would he to reopen me. That was all it took. So I REALLY behaved. No stairs, or laundry baskets or cat boxes. I am convinced that along with my little walks gave me the slow and steady recovery that I had.

So take it easy...really easy..and figure 8 weeks.

KayTee
12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
jujubebe, hope you're recovering well and having a happy and relaxing holiday season. Boy, does this bring back memories. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in late November 04. I agree with rocknrollgirl on walking to maintain fitness, but I didn’t heed my doctor as well. Presurgery I was already walking 2-4 miles several times weekly, and between that and cycling 4-6K miles per year was in pretty decent shape. But it was so hard to walk not even 1/4 mile a week after the surgery. For the first 10 days out I did it bent over, holding a pillow on my belly, and had to rest a couple of hours after! My balance was really off. First 2 or 3 weeks post-surgery I did my walking in 2 shifts, with a rest in between. My dr. was very pregnant, so my 6-week checkup was scheduled at 5 weeks in case she delivered early. By that time, however, I was walking 5-6 1/2 miles per day. Here’s my caution: at 3 1/2 weeks out I was feeling pretty good and actually got on my trainer to spin about 15 minutes. As soon as I got off the bike I knew I’d made a mistake, and I had to take a day or two off from walking to recover. Listen to your doctor and don’t be hard-headed like me!

Have you found the http://www.hystersisters.com/ site yet? There’s some good stuff on it, although I was put off at first by some of what seemed like silliness to me (the Princess in the Castle, etc.).

A friend told me that after a TAH many patients feel noticeable improvement at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months and a year post-surgery. I found that to be true. After my 5-week appointment I was cleared to get back on the bike (slow, smooth road cycling for short distances only), but b/c of weather and the holidays rode only indoors on the trainer until about 7 weeks post-surgery. I also worked with a PT for a month or so after Week 8 (and was told that your insides aren't fully healed through until week 12, so don't strain or lift anything even if you feel 100%). I’ve done pretty well since, although what I noticed all last year was less endurance and less reserve. Nevertheless last year was actually a better cycling year for me than this year from a speed and total mileage standpoint due to recent family and work issues.

OK, that's my experience. Build up steadily and slowly with your doctor’s concurrence, and you’ll do fine. Best wishes for a great recovery and a healthy, happy new year! Oh yes, and you might want to invest in lots of fans! :rolleyes:

Bikingmomof3
12-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Jujubebe,
Heal well. Listen to your body. Sleep, rest, and follow the doctors orders. *hugs*