PDA

View Full Version : Bianchi Axis vs Lemond Propad -- Help!

VeloVT
12-23-2006, 06:52 AM
I'm seriously looking at buying one of these bikes (have a deposit on the Lemond, then rode the Axis at another bike shop and thought -- maybe -- it was more fun). Primarily I"m looking for a fast but durable commuter, but there's a chance I might try cross racing.

I had my heart set on steel (since my aluminum Felt is very chattery and I thought the smoothness would be really nice).

The bikes both have 105, the Axis has a triple crank (I'd rather double actually). They both weigh in around 21 lbs.

I had first ridden the Lemond after a heavy, sluggish Redline and it felt great -- fast, smooth ride. Yesterday I tested the Bianchi, and not only did it FEEL lighter and faster (though it's not according to the scale), but more importantly it feels racy -- the handling is really quick and intuitive and fun. I went back and retested the Lemond, and the ride is indeed more forgiving, but somehow, it just didn't seem as, well, fun...

Anyone have experience with either of these bikes, or advice of any kind? thanks!!!

guest1
12-24-2006, 06:43 AM
I have a Bianhci Veloce steel frame and LOVE the feel of the ride! The Italian/European geommetry fits me perfectly. But let me strongly state, I am bias toward Bianchi, expecially over a Lemond. Yes, I have friends who ride Lemonds and love them, but to me, what I ride is as important as how I ride. Bianchi has Italian cycling heritage, race attitude, and a whole lot of quality! Someone could EASY counter that Lemond has the cycling heritage, race attitude, and quality, but to me it is not the same thing. Lemond, is, afterall, an extension of Trek (which does mean American-made quality) with a bad racing attitude (Lemond, himself, seems to think that any cyclist who does better than him MUST be doping ... I tend to disagree). Personally, I would never buy a Lemond. Bianchi is MUCH more classy and the ride feel is awesome!

mimitabby
12-24-2006, 07:04 AM
Lemond is affiliated with Trek? I had no idea. YOu're right, Lemond's attitude
does affect our opinion of the bikes.

Offthegrid
12-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Provided both fit well and are in budget, get the Bianchi.

bike4ever
12-25-2006, 04:30 AM
The Lemond bike brand is owned by Trek. Greg Lemond himself now has no say in the company. Lemond bikes are terrific bikes. I agree with offthegrid - go with the one that fits right.