PDA

View Full Version : Night Riding

rocknrollgirl
12-13-2006, 08:15 AM
We just started our night rides for the winter...three weeks and counting. Last night was a blast. 16 miles of fast , twisty single track.

Anybody else night riding?

fatbottomedgurl
12-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I've been wanting to but too busy with school. Winter break starts next week so maybe then...

DirtDiva
12-14-2006, 12:35 AM
It's right up there on my "to do" list!

tattiefritter
12-14-2006, 12:36 AM
I was out last night - great fun even with the wind. It was quite clear and very very mild for December and would have been a perfect night apart from the wind.

It was fine in the woods but once we were climbing up onto the hill and crossing the moor the wind was unbelievable. I got blown over three times - twice whilst on my bike and once when stood next to it, soft landings all round thankfully. Going across the very top of the moor I was battling the wind so much I was travelling at about 2 miles per hour (normally 10 or so along that section), I'm sure it was holding me upright sometimes and was chuffed I managed to not fall off and keep going. Was a real hoot :D and I was grinning from ear to ear at the ridiculousness of us being out in those conditions (unsuprisingly we saw no-one else).

SalsaMTB
12-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Hmm...I haven't ever done night riding in the winter. I didn't a holiday ride the other night, about 50 people got together to ride one of the roads that is decorated for the holiday. Not the same as winter trail riding though. I love love love night riding, it's so peaceful and you see tons of animals. I'll have to get out and try winter night riding.

rocknrollgirl
12-14-2006, 06:55 AM
I love that...being blown off the moor...I had to quick look over and see where you were from tattiefritter....

We just have deer...no other large creatures but us. Both the guys had lights that were fading at the turn round, so I had to lead them home...that was fun...
I just yell back, log, branch, drop, whoa...tree in the trail.....

Fun stuff.

velogirl
12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
True confession time. I'm afraid to mtn bike in the dark.

I blogged my recent experience here -- Lorri's blog (http://velogirl.blogspot.com/2006/11/looking-bear-in-eyes.html)

SheFly
12-14-2006, 09:31 AM
True confession time. I'm afraid to mtn bike in the dark.

I blogged my recent experience here -- Lorri's blog (http://velogirl.blogspot.com/2006/11/looking-bear-in-eyes.html)

Sounds like you have confronted that one - now you need to keep up with it! Truthfully, I become a BETTER mountain biker in the dark than during the daytime. I think it has something to do with not being able to see the things that normally scare the cr*p out of me!

On the other hand, road riding at night terrifies me....

SheFly

spokewench
12-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Lorri:

It seems like you have confronted your fear - you just need more practice riding at night - and yeah, you are right you can't control things at night, you just have to go for it. Let the bike roll and roll right over the stuff I've ridden over at Lake Chabot at night (we used to live just over the hill in San Leandro so I used to ride that park all the time)

I've ridden over there even without a light on a full moon night - it wasn't too bad. But, in the trees some people had lights so I had to hustle to keep up so I could see better.

I've done the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo a couple of times in a four lady team. There is one section that has a LOT of cactus really close to the trail. The first time I rode it in the day it was really hard - I was really afraid I was going to hit some of it. Funny thing, it was easier to ride at night just had to stay in the middle of the trail and keep turning to avoid the shadows! A little freaky the first time, but after the first time, it was a piece of cake.

I've found that once I learned to just go with the bike at night, I'm a better rider at night than in the day! I can't see the technical stuff so I ride right over it and just looking at it doesn't freak me out!

It just takes practice like everything else

indysteel
12-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I've been reading a number of posts on other forums about night riding. I've never done it before, but it sounds fun. This is the first year for Daylight Savings Time in Indiana and we're all just getting used to it. It gets dark by 5:30 in the winter and there isn't much in the way of daylight in the morning come summer. Being able to (safely) ride at night would help make that less of an issue. I know of a group of women who are starting to do a weeknight ride on country roads. I'd consider joining them but don't have the gear yet. Does anybody have any specific recommendations for lighting systems?

redhot3368
12-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I've been reading a number of posts on other forums about night riding. I've never done it before, but it sounds fun. This is the first year for Daylight Savings Time in Indiana and we're all just getting used to it. It gets dark by 5:30 in the winter and there isn't much in the way of daylight in the morning come summer. Being able to (safely) ride at night would help make that less of an issue. I know of a group of women who are starting to do a weeknight ride on country roads. I'd consider joining them but don't have the gear yet. Does anybody have any specific recommendations for lighting systems?

I have been night riding for 3 years now. I have been going twice a week this winter. It is SOO MUCH FUN!! with the right lights.
I would NOT go cheap when it comes to lights.
I have a HID nite rider and it is GREAT!!
Niterider is a good brand as well as light n motion

http://www.niterider.com/bike.shtml

Check e-bay, but you are looking at least $400.
Just my opinion!
Karen :)

rocknrollgirl
12-14-2006, 01:21 PM
We have Nite Rider halogen lights, one for the helmet, one for the bars..between the two they are great. DH got them on ebay...way cheap.

If you go halogen, get two...