PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a tough century in Northern New England...

GLC1968
12-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I just found out that my big goal for next year will have to be postponed. I was planning on riding a 'Challenge Century' here in NC with over 13,000 ft of climbing. Unfortunately, I also just found out that it's the same weekend as my husband's graduation in VT. So, to VT we must go. :(

I haven't been able to locate anything online, but I'm hoping that my fellow TE ladies are more informed. Does anyone here know of any tough centuries in VT (or NH or Western MA) in mid-June that I could shoot for instead??

Thanks!

Blueberry
12-11-2006, 12:16 PM
I just found out that my big goal for next year will have to be postponed. I was planning on riding a 'Challenge Century' here in NC with over 13,000 ft of climbing. Unfortunately, I also just found out that it's the same weekend as my husband's graduation in VT. So, to VT we must go. :(

I haven't been able to locate anything online, but I'm hoping that my fellow TE ladies are more informed. Does anyone here know of any tough centuries in VT (or NH or Western MA) in mid-June that I could shoot for instead??

Thanks!

No ideas about centuries in New England, but was wondering whether they have announced the date for BSG for next year yet?

(If you can't, you could always ride the BSG route solo on a day other than the ride date).

Good luck finding something!

CA

GLC1968
12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
Our local shop lists BSG for June 23rd. I'm in VT until the 22nd ... so it can't happen and I'm sorely disappointed!! :(

I guess I could do it on my own the following weekend, but I really wanted to have an 'official' time to show my riding buddies at work!

wavedancer
12-11-2006, 03:19 PM
This is a website that lists most of the centuries in New England. They don't have the 2007 season listed yet, but it should give you an idea of what might be happening when you are up this way.

CRANE (http://www.geocities.com/ne_century_rides/index.html)

Crankin
12-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Most centuries in New England are in August and September, because of weather. You might want to research some routes from previous ones and do them on your own. I know there are some charity rides in June, but of course, that involves fundraising.
Where in Vermont will you be? UVM? There are some good published routes around Lake Champlain, which are very hilly and challenging.

Robyn

tygab
12-11-2006, 05:29 PM
In my opinion....

The King's Tour of the Quabbin fits this bill perfectly. It's held by Central Mass's Seven Hills Wheelmen. You don't say when you're arriving, but it's usually early to mid June (last year was June 10th).

It has a reputation of being a hilly and very tough century, and there's plus century mileage options too. I was too much of a newbie to consider it last year, but I might do the metric this year (haven't quite figured out my schedule, waiting on more of the dates to get published).

I can say that I LOVE this area. It is simply gorgeous out there. You go basically around an enormous reservoir (the Quabbin) for the city of Boston. Look at a map of Massachusetts. See the HUGE lake in the middle of the state? That's the Quabbin. That's what the ride goes around. Here's the 7H W'men's description:

This ride was selected as the best ride in Massachusetts for 1998 by Bicycling Magazine. The route goes to Barre, then around the Quabbin Reservoir in a clockwise direction. Water is available at the Quabbin dam in Ware. From there the 200K continues to North Amherst, through Leverett, Wendell, into South Orange, and Athol, then rejoins the 100M route in New Salem on Rte 122 to Petersham. Between the dam and Petersham the stores can be pretty infrequent, so you are advised to get stuff where you can. The route is on mostly quiet back roads except for the section through Ware. The route is hilly, though there is yet to be an agreement as to the amount of climbing, it is somewhere around 6000'. Notable climbs: Rte 122 into Barre (warm-up), up through the reservation to the top of Mt Quabbin (never ending). Rte 122 hills between 202 and Petersham. And we finish with a two mile climb to the start.

I have gone mostly to kayak, hike, or boat (pre biking) in the area, and you can easily feel as though you are in Maine or central NH. I've always seen cyclists around there too, and the towns feature pretty town greens and little general stores.

So, consider this if it fits your schedule.

GLC1968
12-12-2006, 06:03 AM
Thanks all!

The Quabbin looks like the best option, but I'll have to wait and see when it gets scheduled for 2007. It looks like it might be too early for us. I also really like that CRANE site! It lists a couple of cool looking rides that are later in the season that I might just have to grab cue sheets for.

My other option would be to go for the full on Assault on Mt. Mitchell down here before we go. I was planning on doing Marion this year, but perhaps I'll pay extra to do Mitchell. We'll see...I'm not sure I'm quite ready for THAT much of a challenge! ;)

Blueberry
12-12-2006, 06:57 AM
How about Hilly Hellacious in August? Have you done that one?

http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org/hilly/

I've not done it, but I've heard it's brutal!

Blueberry
12-12-2006, 07:06 AM
http://www.ashecivic.com/BRB06infopage.htm

It's Aug. 18 next year. 12k of climbing without the assault on Mt. Jefferson for the century.

Enjoy!

GLC1968
12-12-2006, 11:54 AM
CA - I'll probably plan on one of those two...for sure!

I think I've picked my starting point though. I wanted something early in the season to shoot for and I've found it in Chattanooga! 3-State, 3-Mountain...here I come! (It's May 5th) If I can do that, Mt Marion should be no problem in early June. Then I can plan to do some more relaxed riding in VT when I'm up there (while DH is in meetings).

Then the BRB or the HH...and who knows what else after that! :p

Blueberry
12-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Then the BRB or the HH...and who knows what else after that! :p

Getting addicted to Brevets?? That sounds like a fun goal:)

CA

SheFly
12-13-2006, 04:48 AM
If you're looking for a really good century + with lots of climbing (12,000 ft or so), do I have a route for you! We did this on our own last year, and it was tough, but the sense of accomplishment was terrific.

The ride starts in Gorham, NH and climbs up over Pinkham Notch (past Mt. Washington). Down into N. Conway, out West Side Rd (and another right hand I can't think of the name of..) to the Kancamangus Pass. Take this up to Bear Notch road, and it's up and over your second notch. This will put you in Bartlett, NH, and from here you head UP 302 on a gradual 12 or 13 mile climb that ends in a VERY STEEP climb up Crawford Notch. This will bring you alongside the Mt. Washington Hotel. From here, continue on Rte 302 to Rte 3 and take that up to Rte 115. This is a very "rolly" section with some good elevation gain still. Take this to Rte 2, and climb your way back up into Gorham. Total mileage is somewhere around 108.

This took us about 7 hours with minimal stops. There are logical stops for food/beverage along the route, which helps. Let me know if you are interested, and I can send along more details on the actual loop!

BTW - we nicknamed this the Dirty Dozen ride :D .

SheFly

Crankin
12-13-2006, 05:02 AM
I am very familiar with that area; Rt. 302 is a killer! It's beautiful, though.

GLC1968
12-13-2006, 05:57 AM
If you're looking for a really good century + with lots of climbing (12,000 ft or so), do I have a route for you! We did this on our own last year, and it was tough, but the sense of accomplishment was terrific.

The ride starts in Gorham, NH and climbs up over Pinkham Notch (past Mt. Washington). Down into N. Conway, out West Side Rd (and another right hand I can't think of the name of..) to the Kancamangus Pass. Take this up to Bear Notch road, and it's up and over your second notch. This will put you in Bartlett, NH, and from here you head UP 302 on a gradual 12 or 13 mile climb that ends in a VERY STEEP climb up Crawford Notch. This will bring you alongside the Mt. Washington Hotel. From here, continue on Rte 302 to Rte 3 and take that up to Rte 115. This is a very "rolly" section with some good elevation gain still. Take this to Rte 2, and climb your way back up into Gorham. Total mileage is somewhere around 108.

This took us about 7 hours with minimal stops. There are logical stops for food/beverage along the route, which helps. Let me know if you are interested, and I can send along more details on the actual loop!

BTW - we nicknamed this the Dirty Dozen ride :D .

SheFly

Oooh, that sounds really cool! I'm familar with that area (we spent a lot of time up that way when I was in HS) and it sounds like a beautiful ride. I would love more detailed info! That would be a wonderful way to 'celebrate' my husband's graduation...with a tough, self-supported century!

SheFly
12-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Oooh, that sounds really cool! I'm familar with that area (we spent a lot of time up that way when I was in HS) and it sounds like a beautiful ride. I would love more detailed info! That would be a wonderful way to 'celebrate' my husband's graduation...with a tough, self-supported century!

Let me search around - I may have this on the GPS.

Park in Gorham, NH at the park (we park on the street BEHIND Main street, next to the trains).

Travel Rte 16 over Pinkham Notch. Once you crest and pass the visitor center, there is a natural spring on the right side if you need water before the descent.

Descend Rte 16, down through Jackson and into Bartlett. There is a gas station/store on the way down if you need drinks/food. At Rte 302 (traffic light), turn RIGHT. Follow 302 towards Attitash. You will pass through Bartlett. As you cross the railroad tracks, take a LEFT hand turn onto West Side Road This will wind you along the river.

Follow this for quite awhile, until you see a sign for Echo Lake State Park. Take a RIGHT to stay on West Side Road. This is a fairly flat section of the ride, enjoy it while you can ;) . You will follow West Side Rd for quite awhile before taking a RIGHT hand turn onto Passaconway Road. Stay on this road - this will bring you out to the Kanc.

Turn RIGHT onto the Kanc and follow to Bear Notch Rd. Take a RIGHT, and go up and over. This will bring you back down to Rte 302. There is a store at the corner for refueling.

Turn LEFT onto 302 and begin the long climb up to Crawford Notch. After you pass the Mt Washington Hotel, watch out for the DIAGONAL train tracks. Swing WIDE here. There is a store right beside Fabyan's restaurant for refueling - this will be one of the LAST stops before Gorham, so stock up here.

Continue on 302 into Twin Mountain. Turn RIGHT onto Rte 3 (at traffic light). Follow Rte 3 to 115 and take a RIGHT onto 115 (at the flashing light). Now you will hit some pretty good rollers. Follow this until it intersects with Rte 2.

Take a RIGHT onto Rte 2, and back into Gorham, climbing the last LONG hill of the day. Turn RIGHT at the traffic light to head back to your car after an excellent ride!

If I find the GPS map of this loop, I will post it here as well. Let me know if you decide to do this one!

SheFly

anakiwa
12-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't know of any centuries in June, but there is a hillclimb race up Whiteface in mid-June http://whitefacerace.com/bikeraceinfo.html (it's not quite in New England but it's close). I did the run last year- it was great!

For challenging rides http://www.northeastcycling.com/NE_Climbs_main.html is a great webside. It compares all the major NE hillclimb races with elevation profiles etc (I did the Equinox race last summer and am planning on going back). The Gap ride section of the website is also really helpful. I can recommend doing part or all of the Vermont 6 gap ride. So far I've only done the App Gap- Middlebury Gap loop but I really enjoyed it and would love to do the 4 gap or 6 gap ride sometime.

Have fun!

short cut sally
12-18-2006, 01:07 PM
If you're willing to come to New York in September, there is a gruelling century called the Highlander. Its turned into a big event, time trials Friday evening, Mtb bike race and the road event is on Sat. and they've incorporated a marathon with another town for the next day. they have 2-centuries, one is 14,000+ and the other is 6,000 elevation I think. I did the 6,000 elevation one and that was plenty for me. For the 14,000+ they have one hill that they have a bagpipe player and officers at the top of the hill to direct traffic (along with a towtruck-adds amusement). The scenery is beautiful, the rest stops are like every 15 miles. I plan on doing it again this year, if you're interested, my house is always available for company.