PDA

View Full Version : New to trainers... seeking help

ChickieBabe
12-09-2006, 06:36 PM
So, I know many of you prefer one over the other, rollers or trainers. However, where I live, I have access to a trainer, so for me, that argument is moot. I just started roadbiking in June, and I really want to stick with it over the winter, so I tried the trainer out tonight. However, I noticed afterward that my rear wheel was really hot, and had a strange stripe on it, right down the middle. :confused: I think I wore off some of the top layer of my tire! :(

Did I set my bike up wrong, with too much tension on the wheel, or is this a normal thing? Also, how do you know how tight to make the side clamps that hold the rear fork?

The trainer is a fluid-type, and the flywheel-like thing adjusts with a screw.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

velogirl
12-10-2006, 09:01 AM
This actually indicates that you had too little resistance on the rear tire. Without enough resistance from the fly wheel, your tire will slip, get hot, and degrade. All trainer brands are a bit different, but the rule of thumb I use is to make contact between the tire and fly wheel, then turn the knob for the fly wheel 4 more times. You want to see an indent in the tire that's about 1/4" deep.

Other tips -- clean off your tire before using it on the trainer. I use windex. You can also use rubbing alcohol or water. Always inflate your rear tire to your regular pressure (probably 100-110psi on a road tire). An underinflated tire will also wear out quicker.

As far as tightening the clamps that hold the bike in place, you want it tight enough so the bike won't fall off the trainer but not so tight that you can't un-clamp the clamps.

Hope this helps. Oh, and if you know the brand and model of your trainer, you can find the users manual on-line at the brand site. Just google it.

ChickieBabe
12-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Thank you so much! :) Using these things for the first time can be so indimidating!

hgrill02
12-11-2006, 07:28 AM
wondered if there is a better trainer brand over another. As a very new rider everything just seems so expensive, I don't mind buying used equipment, e-bay has several I just want to make sure I don't buy something that is a piece of junk.

Thanks!

velogirl
12-14-2006, 07:35 AM
The challenge with purchasing a trainer on-line is that they're quite heavy, so shipping will be quite expensive. I might also beware a used trainer that I couldn't see and inspect. Some folks use their trainers a lot and take them to races so they're transporting them and using them on dirt and grass and surfaces that aren't level. They can take a lot of abuse.

I'm a fan of CycleOps. I know others on this forum prefer the Kurt Kinetic. Blackburn also makes a trainer that I see a lot at races. They're all slightly different, with different moving parts and a different power curve.

If you're new to riding, I'd say you probably can get away with just about any brand -- the subtle nuances that separate one brand from another won't be as obvious to you.

Hope this helps!

Lorri

CycleTherapy
12-14-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a "1 up USA" trainer. Everyone has an opinion on what they would recommend. My 1UP came highly recommended by sages here on this website. From there, I did my own research. I have been throughly satisfied with the product. My husband who is an engineer/airline industry type person was totally impressed with the design and quality. The added benefit...it's made here in the USA. The next added benefit;
FREE SHIPPING----FREE SHIPPING---FREE SHIPPING

Of course, I also received some friendly criticism here for the purchase. I was told that they weren't as durable as the Cycleops etc...again, we all have our opinions.

I just suggest that you chk out their website for yourself, they have a link to Mountain Bike Review and Road Bike Review, you can read what they say about the product. Here's the link to their website:

http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

Happy shopping :)