PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the rain

East Hill
12-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I just want all the rest of the PNWers to know that I finally got so tired of riding exercise bikes etc., that I took the Centurion LeMans mixte out for a ride this morning, even in the pouring rain.

It felt good!

East Hill

Grog
12-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Great job East Hill!

Here in Vancouver I rode a little bit in the rain this morning, but just a few drops really. I was with a couple of friends who are just starting out so we turned around to get a total of 45 km in. One of them is a bit insecure in traffic and rain + traffic = scarier. But it was great fun.

When you're appropriately dressed, nothing can stop you!!!

East Hill
12-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, I need to go for a long ride tomorrow if possible. Shorter ride if it's pouring rain though. Then, work on bikes when I get home!

I agree with your friends, it's frightening at best when first learning to deal with traffic, but to have to have traffic AND rain is most unsettling to the nerves when one is first starting riding on roads.

I don't watch much television, and in fact just dropped the cable tv because neither of us watch, so sitting riding exercise bikes is really boring. I think I need to get some DVDs of TdF, eh? Riding the bike outdoors can't be beat though.

East Hill

suzieqtwa
12-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Hi
When I first got my bike in August I was petrified :eek: to go out in traffic ,much less the rain. Well, since I live in Portland its either ride in the rain ,or don't ride at all. I don't really like it ,but now I ride in the rain ,and in traffic, Its the wind I don't like. I don't go far though...maybe 12 miles or so. Just have lights on your bike.

East Hill
12-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Yes, that's pretty much life in these here parts! Right now it's not raining so I'm going to dodge out for a short ride. I did manage a 40 miler on Saturday, and about 20 miles on Sunday. Sunday was throwing down buckets though and I eventually got tired of barely being able to see through the rain.

East Hill

mimitabby
12-12-2006, 10:03 AM
good for you. rain and cold are too much for me. When the temps get closer to 50 and it rains i am more apt to go out. On the other hand, I am probably going to ride saturday if it isn't too yucky out.

East Hill
12-13-2006, 05:43 AM
I'll admit I looked rather scraggly by the time I got home! I haven't looked out at the weather--no windows in our building and I'm at work--although I think it's raining. I think the wind might be a bit much today. In fact, I just got told by my ramp clerk that one of the postal planes would be leaving late due to high winds. So, perhaps another exciting day on trainers/exercise bikes for some of us :( . I'll be itching to get out there by Saturday!

East Hill

Bike Goddess
12-13-2006, 09:46 AM
After reading this thread, I figured us in California shouldn't complain about the rain....well maybe. Since it's usually warm down here when we get rain, it pours rather than drips.

Yesterday, after it "poured" rain all morning, my cycling pal and I went for a ride. It was pretty foggy (this often happens after a storm comes through), but we figured we could get in a good ride.

41.43 miles later- mission accomplished! Our bikes were a mess as were we covered with mud splattered from the road and passing cars.

BUT, it was indeed a great ride and we'll do it again after the holidays.

I thought of you all up there when we were cleaning our bikes (with a hose and some Bikewash). What a pain to keep everything clean!

Kudos to you all that ride rain or shine!!! Thanks for the inspiration!:D :D

East Hill
12-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Ah, it's good to know that we are an inspiration. My husband worked overtime this morning, but fortunately I had the mixte in the back of the car, and rode home. Those who live here in Puget Sound will know that I looked like a drowned rat when I got home--I've heard estimates that we will have up to three inches of rain today. It is supposed to be the worst storm we will have had since the Inaugural Day Storm in 1993...it's the 'poisonous tail' of the storm, according to the Seattle Times.

East Hill

mimitabby
12-14-2006, 11:41 AM
You are quite the brave woman. I have been watching the barometer dropping (it's below 1000 now) all day. I don't even want to drive my car in this stuff!

My bikes are all acting just like my cats, happy to be warm and dry in the house.

Eden
12-14-2006, 11:46 AM
No wind here yet.... It has been raining fairly hard and steady all day though. I get enough wetness on the weekends - team rides are not cancelled by rain! so it looks like its the trainer for me today. Not really looking forward to and hour and fourty minutes on the trainer, but I do get to play with the new toy (we got a computrainer) so that should take some of the sting out of it. I've got to go over to Bellevue tonight so I'm hoping the weather doesn't get too wild too soon.

Thistle
12-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I just want all the rest of the PNWers to know that I finally got so tired of riding exercise bikes etc., that I took the Centurion LeMans mixte out for a ride this morning, even in the pouring rain.

It felt good!

East Hill

Good on you, East Hill. I hate riding in the rain, but right now i'd do it just to get some rain down here. We probably got a dozen drops overnight. This end of the world is tinder dry :(

I hope you get a little less rain so you can ride even more and we get a little more of the wet stuff!

East Hill
12-15-2006, 03:31 AM
theav, I have just been reading about the drought in OZ, and I think all of us here would be happy to send you half our rain. Only half though, we wouldn't be the PNW without it. Your drought sounds excrutiatingly unpleasant.

East Hill

Thistle
12-15-2006, 11:10 AM
yeah, we get so little lately we got a bit nutty when we see it :)

2.5 years ago we were in NYC for DH's 50th birthday and it started to pour as we were coming out of the subway. It was really funny cos all the New Yorkers were trying to shelter in the doorway so they didnt get wet and DH and i were out dancing in the rain :D :D I'm sure the people around us thought we were nuts, but we were so happy to see rain!

Heard on the radio yesterday they think the heavens will open here mid January. I sure hope they are right. This is a dry old country when there isnt any rain :(