PDA

View Full Version : Hey Boys I Ride With......

rocknrollgirl
12-09-2006, 02:42 AM
Stop blowing snot rockets on the girl......

ok...I am done now...thanks for letting me get that off my chest....

Ruth

Velobambina
12-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Ruth -- Watch out but remember, you can give them a taste of their own medicine!! Ironically, I almost nailed a big snot rocket on this really nice looking guy earlier this week. He was behind me, just far enough behind me that I didn't see him before I sent it flying. He was going pretty fast so he was definitely in the strike zone. Luckily, it missed him.

salsabike
12-09-2006, 07:38 AM
This is not a cycling skill I have any desire to acquire. Keeping up with the boys is not always necessary, I figure.

Trek420
12-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Hey, look at it positively...could be worse, they're not peeing ;) :cool: :p another cycling skill I have no desire to acquire

Grog
12-09-2006, 08:16 AM
This is not a cycling skill I have any desire to acquire. Keeping up with the boys is not always necessary, I figure.

I don't see any other way to keep riding in the winter without 1) having to stop every 2 minutes to blow my nose in a tissue or 2) rubbing the skin off my face with my gloves.

My nose runs a lot (year round - dear partner says it's a possible side effect of the bc pill) but whenever it's below 13 C and I'm exercising, it POURS. What am I supposed to do? Choke?

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I just sniffle it in and swallow. Hey, I figure it's already IN there anyway! Besides, that way I'll be less likely to get dehydrated.... :eek: :cool:

Kimmyt
12-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I have that problem even when it's not that cold! I think between the increased cardio effort and the fact that i'm leaning forward onto my handlebars, all the snot tends to rush to the exit. :)

I have no problem with snot rockets, as long as they're not landing on me! (I haven't yet learned to aim with it, though, and actually I use it when i run, ski, climb too! The all-purpose skill!)

K.

Velobambina
12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
I'm with Grog on this one (make no apologies, girl!). Anything below 55 degrees, and my sinuses turn on the spigot. There's nothing else to do but blow it out.

Veronica
12-09-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm with Grog on this one (make no apologies, girl!). Anything below 55 degrees, and my sinuses turn on the spigot. There's nothing else to do but blow it out.

Just don't do it when your bike is on the trainer in the living room. :eek:

V.

Geonz
12-09-2006, 04:53 PM
It's part of my weight loss program... my " 'snot a diet" plan. Lose 8 oz. of mucusoidal tissue daily... using that many tissues would be unnecessary use of resources.

DirtDiva
12-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Nice one. :D

I send off snot rockets all the time (if it ain't cold, I've got hayfever), but if I'm riding with others I always make sure I'm at the back before I let one go.

Aint Doody
12-09-2006, 06:46 PM
I just drift back and yell, "Rocket!" My fellow riders know to look out!

CyclChyk
12-09-2006, 07:23 PM
You know, I can appreciate ones nose running so much that stopping your ride every 500 feet to blow your nose would suck but seriously, learning to properly "rocket" snot.... eeeeeewwwww!!!!! How gross is that ?????????
The amount of snot you must have on your clothes or body parts while you are "honing your skill"...... heaven forbid any passing riders........

Oh its enough to make me gag...............

Veronica
12-09-2006, 07:28 PM
It didn't take that long to learn. Besides I sweat so much I am just gross when I'm done riding, what's a little snot? At least I can breathe.

Now what is really gross is when the captain on the tandem doesn't aim it properly. :eek:

Only happened once... but I have a good memory.

V.

Grog
12-09-2006, 09:38 PM
You know, I can appreciate ones nose running so much that stopping your ride every 500 feet to blow your nose would suck but seriously, learning to properly "rocket" snot.... eeeeeewwwww!!!!! How gross is that ?????????
The amount of snot you must have on your clothes or body parts while you are "honing your skill"...... heaven forbid any passing riders........

Oh its enough to make me gag...............

I don't mean to make you gag, but I will invite you to consider the facts.

Riding in the winter, in the cold, in the rain, in traffic (or on a trail)... By the time I'm pretty wet and gritty from the spray of cars and bikes, not to speak of sweat, and whatever is coming from the sky (usually rain, or just a mist), whether I can breathe is much more important than whether there are a few particles of bodily semi-fluid on my tights or on my sleeves... I respect my fellow cyclists' need to breathe all the same. When everyone behaves properly according to the etiquette described above (if you are riding with others, go to the back of the paceline; give a quick look over the shoulder if you think you're alone!!), everyone's happily working out and the ride goes on!

Lisa, I would do like you in the past and swallow, but it really makes me nauseous after a short while, and after an hour ride (or run or whatever) in cold conditions I would have produced much more than my GI tract can handle. Happy it works for you though!

So indeed no apologies! It's the road, not a catwalk!!

This being said, others don't have the runny-nose problem, or at a different scale. I envy them a lot!

As for passing riders, well, they should have announced themselves. If they haven't, well... too bad for them!! :eek:

LBTC
12-09-2006, 11:30 PM
I just sniffle it in and swallow. Hey, I figure it's already IN there anyway! Besides, that way I'll be less likely to get dehydrated.... :eek: :cool:

Ah, Lisa

This is a fine technique until you add sweat. Have you ever snorted it in and gotten some sweat along with it? It BURNS! Oouch!

~T~

Velobambina
12-10-2006, 12:58 AM
I think we should organize a Team Snot Rocket. Maybe SK could design our jerseys?

DeniseGoldberg
12-10-2006, 04:48 AM
And here I thought snot rockets were just a natural part of riding.

Yes, I'm another one in the snot rocket club - blown as I am riding solo or when I am behind other riders if I am not riding alone. Look first, then blow!

--- Denise

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Ah, Lisa

This is a fine technique until you add sweat. Have you ever snorted it in and gotten some sweat along with it? It BURNS! Oouch!

~T~

No, I've never had that happen! I do get sweaty riding in hot weather, but I don't think it runs down into my mouth/nose area in any great snortable quantity. :eek:
As to feeling nauseous after swallowing too much mucus, I did have this happen once or twice, but I found if I just take some sips of water regularly it seems to keep that from happening.

I too find the idea of snot rockets really gross. But then again, excessive snot is just gross any which way, so I defend you girls' right to do whatever you want with your own. I would just hope no one would do it where I could possibly get hit...and if given a choice I wouldn't particularly want to have to witness a rocket "blast off". :eek: :cool: