PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Seattle between Christmas and New Year

Grog
12-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi all Northwesterners!

My DP and I will be visiting Seattle around my birthday on the 27-28 or so. We'll be staying just for one night, at the Marriott Waterfront (luckily his sister works for Marriott so we get a decent deal). I don't think we'll take the bikes... or should be? I would be wary of leaving them in the car (we have a hatchback) at many times.

I've been to Seattle once before. I've been to the Pike Place Market and walked around the downtown area quite a bit. I'm a big fan of the Elliott Bay Bookstore and I definitely plan on going there while I'm around. I also want to visit that backcountry store I told you about in another thread just in case they have some Ibex wool stuff!! But otherwise we have no plans. I'd be happy to get off the regular beaten path and to visit other charming neighborhoods with nice cafes and a good feel. Any ideas?

If we don't cycle, I was thinking we could snowshoe. Any place on the way from Seattle to Vancouver, or around Seattle, where we could do some good trails (with hopefully enough snow - hard to predict so far in advance I know)?

Thanks!!!

East Hill
12-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Fremont for the cafes and feel. Lenin and the troll...Waiting for the Interurban...Burke-Gilman trail hookup there too. So, a possible bike ride? I think the other PNWers could guide you better on the BGT.

Snowshoing's not my cup of tea, but there's not really anything THAT close to Seattle itself (everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Closest I can think of would be Mt. Baker, but that's possibly a little more out of your way than you may wish.

East Hill

salsabike
12-06-2006, 10:08 PM
I assiduously avoid snow, so I'm not much help there either--although my guess is you could go to Snoqualmie, closer than Baker, and find trails for snowshoeing.

I second the Fremont recommendation--it's a fun and funky place to spend a day. If you're in the mood for the outdoors, try walking in the Arboretum, and there's a really lovely Japanese garden there as well. Feeling arty, and Pioneer Square, south of Pike Place Market, is full of galleries.

East Hill
12-07-2006, 06:35 AM
I have to agree, Snoqualmie Pass may be closer than Mount Baker. I am not certain how much snowshoeing is done there. I tried to run a search on Google for Snoqualmie and snowshoeing and did not turn up much.

East Hill

mimitabby
12-07-2006, 06:40 AM
you could definitely find some snowshoeing near Snoqualmie, a 60 minute drive from city center. I have done it there and I hear they have plenty of snow(now).
(I thought i posted this yesterday, sorry)

Trek420
12-07-2006, 06:54 AM
waaaaay back in the day when I was a pup going to college in Bellingham a group of us did a snowshoe to this on Mt. Baker

www.nwhotsprings.net/baker.htm

KnottedYet
12-07-2006, 07:54 AM
"Swimsuits optional"

Heh heh, I'm not *even* gonna ask ya, Trek...