PDA

View Full Version : My 'New' 2005 Terry Isis

GLC1968
12-06-2006, 07:12 AM
I posted about this in the general forum, but I figure it really belongs here. Meet my new (and as of yet, unnamed) titanium Isis! I took delivery of this lovely lady on Monday evening. My first ride was yesterday at lunch, but the stem was too short for me (once I got my saddle into the right position) and it was only an OK ride. (Smooth and fast...just too crunched up). Last night I swapped out the stem and she felt wonderful on the trainer. I'm taking her out at lunch in about an hour and I cannot wait!!

http://www.tranquilitysystems.com/gallery/files/4/Isis_760705.JPG

So far, I love this bike! I got her off the Terry site (they had one 19' left) so she is new...just an older model. There is already a paint chip from the shipping and the saddle it came with is not for me. I called Terry customer service yesterday to get touch up paint and to hopefully swap the Butterfly Ti for a Fly Ti...still awaiting a call back. Anyone have any experience with Terry's customer service?

Offthegrid
12-06-2006, 08:00 AM
bootiful

Aggie_Ama
12-06-2006, 08:13 AM
She's gorgeous! :D

bambu101
12-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Gorgeous bike! I have a Susan B that I got earlier this year, and ordered it directly from a bike shop in Connecticut, rather than directly from Terry. The bike shop was OK, but did not offer much in the way of fitting it to me.

As far as Terry's customer service, the first time I ordered from them online for clothes, etc, it was a disaster. First order got lost in cyberspace, second order went through, both orders showed up, but they wanted to charge me for both as they told me it was "not a duplcate order", and it took a lot of angry emails and phone calls before it got straightened out. In the meantime, the rainbow jersey that I got on sale in the first order was sold out by the time my second order went through. I had to go to TE to get it, which I did, even thought it was more expensive. I was just too fed up with Terry at that point.

I have since ordered several saddles from Terry to try out during their 30 day try-out period, and have had no problems, so I don't know what happened the first time.

In my experience, TE has FAR superior customer service!!!!!

GLC1968
12-06-2006, 09:59 AM
In my experience, TE has FAR superior customer service!!!!!

OMG, yes! But of course...TE doesn't carry 2005 Isis bikes! :p

Triskeliongirl
12-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Yes, TE has great customer service, but I have also found that terry has great customer service too, very personal When I bought my 2005 terry ti isis, they were willing to let me swap out stem and bars as needed, and even offered to let me upgrade to 10spd for a surcharge if I wanted. When I bought a 'new old stock' 2003 isis on ebay, georgena was great at helping me identify the year, and locate a framebuilder to work with me on making her into a travel bike. She also provided a lot of useful information to help me with the project (as she did with my conversion of my 2oo1 classic from flat to drop bars). I am now building my 4th terry bike, so yeh, I am a fan. Her bikes fit me like a glove and ride like a dream. ENJOY YOUR BIKE!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL HVE NO REGRETS. If you ever have questions or problems, just email gerogena directly. They are a *very personal* company. PM me if you are not satisfied with customer service and I will give you georgena's direct email. They also ended up swapping my saddle, and I bet they would even have swapped your stem if you didn't already replace it.

snapdragen
12-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I've always had great service from Terry. When I was thinking of buying my Classic, I emailed them with questions and Georgena promptly answered. She also helped earlier this year when I was trying to decide on some new brakes.

They may not have touch up paint though, at least they didn't have any for Bleu. I found a good match at the hobby shop - Testors Model Paint.

KnottedYet
12-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Waterford recommended Testors paint for Flossie's touch-ups, too. gotta go get some one of these days.

Thistle
12-06-2006, 11:21 PM
that is one beauuuuuutiful bike :D :D

Velobambina
12-07-2006, 02:03 AM
I love your new bike.

In my experience, Terry's customer service is uneven. Sometimes great, other times not so great. Just be persistent and I'm sure you'll get a response. They are probably busy since it's the holiday season.

GLC1968
12-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Customer service update!

I was getting concerned that I hadn't heard back, but I called today and they were very helpful. Georgena will have to order more touch up paint from Japan, but she said they'd send it as soon as it's available. Luckily, Ti won't rust in the meantime! ;)

They also said they'd totally swap out the saddle and are sending me the Fly Ti with a prepaid envelope to ship back the Butterfly!

Yay...I'm so happy! :)

Triskeliongirl
12-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Customer service update!

I was getting concerned that I hadn't heard back, but I called today and they were very helpful. Georgena will have to order more touch up paint from Japan, but she said they'd send it as soon as it's available. Luckily, Ti won't rust in the meantime! ;)

They also said they'd totally swap out the saddle and are sending me the Fly Ti with a prepaid envelope to ship back the Butterfly!

Yay...I'm so happy! :)

As I said my experience was always good, but yes, sometimes things get lost in cyberspace so following up on the phone is always good. While the paint job on this bike is georgeous, I have since learned that the reason most ti bikes are not painted is that ti simply doesn't hold paint well. I too have had the paint chip quite easily just when cleaning it. I switched from brushes to soft rags. Also, beware that simple green on the rims can discolor them, so just be *very gentle* with her. I also lost paint when installing a rear rack. As much as I love the paint job, my plan is to have her stripped to bare ti at some point when it starts to look too bad. So far its fine, most of it is not real obvious (like on the underside where the cables go). The white also shows dirt very well, so now I wipe her down with baby wipes after ever few ride. White bar tape also gets ratty fast, so I replace it with a nice cushy gel deda black tape. At one point I tried a shimmery silver which also looked nice, but I prefer the cush of the deda black.

emily_in_nc
12-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Oooh, how pretty she is. Congratulations! I had a 2001 Terry Isis (steel, 17.5" size) that was my first road bike in many years. I loved that bike and credit it for getting me back into serious cycling, but after a year of riding it, wanted something lighter (i.e., carbon). I bought an Aegis Swift frame off ebay and built it up in early 2004. I sold the Isis last year to someone in California who was thrilled with it.

I have always gotten excellent service from Terry, both when I was ordering the bike and when ordering apparel.

I know you wanted a Terry so am very glad you found one. If I had known they were going to make a ti model at the time, I would have waited on that and not bought my Aegis Swift.

I also love the frame colors -- then again, I am a UNC-CH grad. :D

Enjoy her!

Emily