PDA

View Full Version : Raingear

tchn4life
05-05-2004, 07:39 PM
Just moved to Mississippi from the sunny SW and for the first time I need cycling raingear. It rains alot here but there are reputedly some absolutely gorgeous rides (Natchez Trace). So...what should I look for in inclement weather gear? The Burley Rock Point jacket on this site looks cool but do I really need all those features like pit zips? What about rain pants? I wear glasses. How do I keep the rain from obscurring my vision while I ride?
Yikes! Do they make pontoons for bicycles? LOL! Advice needed.
Virginia

Veronica
05-06-2004, 03:43 AM
Pit zips are great for keeping you ventilated. I have yet to find a jacket that actually breathes as much as I want it to on a long hilly ride and that comes in a nice bright color.

Why do manufacturers often make their jackets dark colors?

V.

annie
05-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Veronica,

I have wondered for years why it's so difficult to find a good jacket for women in a bright color. Shouldn't visibility be the deciding factor in cycling jackets? And I agree, no matter what a jacket is made of, how well ventilated it is, you still sweat under it. Some are better than others, tho'.

Virginia,

You can't keep glasses dry when it rains. A visor on the helmet helps, but if its raining hard, or blowing into your face, you just have to see as best as you can through the wet lenses.

You'll need a jacket that is waterproof and breathable. I have never worn rain pants so don't know what to tell you about those. Unless it's cold, too, I doubt you'd need them.

They don't make pontoons for bikes but you might want to invest in fenders, if you don't have them. That will help keep the big wet stripe off your back.

Once you're out and there and wet (if its not cold) its not too bad riding in the rain. Just remember that your brakes don't work quite as well. The rims need to rotate through the brakes a couple times before the water is wiped off and the brakes will work. So you need to think ahead a little more on a rainy ride than on a dry one.

I have the day off tomorrow. Its supposed to rain all day but be in the 70's. I'll be out riding and get wet and have a dirty bike to clean when I get done, but I think it'll be worth it.

annie

tchn4life
05-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the tips! I drove the 30 minutes to the LBS to order fenders. But, your reply brings up another rain issue. What's the best way to clean up my bike after riding in the rain? My princess bike has yet to encounter her first raindrop.
I do have disc brakes though, so maybe that will help with stopping power when I cruise through the rain.
I understand that the summers here are very, very, hot and humid, so riding in the rain might end up being quite refreshing.

annie
05-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Virginia,

You'd think that at least the rain would clean the bike off as we rode, but no such luck! Not only does the bike get wet, but it is going to be covered with road grit. Bike parts do not like grit! When you get home, try to gently hose off all the grit. Put the bike inside where it can dry. I have occasionally used a blow-drier on low to get it dry more quickly. You will need to lube the chain every time it gets rained on. Rain washes off just about any lube, unless you are using some really heavy duty stuff and then your chain is constantly dirty.......
Also, pick up the bike. Shake it and listen......... do you hear water sloshing around inside? If so, not a good thing! Then you need to remove your seatpost and turn the bike upside and let it drain. It's pain to do, but it's worth it. ESPECIALLY if you have a steel bike.

annie

Cdalekat
05-10-2004, 06:30 AM
To add what Annie said, *don't* spray the hose on your disc's... the force of the hose water can drive the water in... not something that you want to happen!