PDA

View Full Version : Long runs 11/27 - 12/03

Grog
12-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Any running, post-marathon girls, runners on the path back from injury, weekend warriors, dear TE friends?

I had interrupted my running schedule, indulging in guiltless runless days since Wednesday. The weather had been bad and I had been very busy, and just felt great taking a short break.

Thankfully I had a running date with my running partner this morning at 9am for a 90-minute run or so. We packed nearly 15 km in decent weather (just 2 below freezing, and we were properly dressed, and the skies were clear), but the road conditions were quite tough, lots of ice, hard snow (hard packed snow hurts me more than concrete sidewalks!!) and we ran on HILLS the whole time. We ran in a different area than usual and enjoyed some "house shopping" (hahaha - even if we become full professors one day we couldn't afford any of these houses!!!) on the streets of Point Grey (a Vancouver neighborhood). The views of the city and mountains were just great.

The last two kilometers were a bit painful with my little toe swelling around the toenail (I still haven't had the courage to look at it, but I feel it's there!!!) and a stitch. But it definitely was an enjoyable run!!!

Mostly, I run because I can, but mornings like this make it even nicer...

Now off to go pick up my bike with its new fenders on. I haven't been riding my road bike for about two months and I'm really excited about getting acquainted again. I might even put it on the trainer tonight, as I wait for the ice to leave the streets!!!

Tri Girl
12-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow, Grog- you're braver than I. I ran in 25 degrees with wind chill in the teens and I was proud of that- you're super studly up there!

We ran this morning for 8 miles. I'm running a half mary next weekend (Dallas White Rock), so this was the last *long* run before the race. I have no time goal in mind- just want to run it and have fun. Since the IM I've got no legs for running and I can't find my stride anymore. Hopefully, in time, it will come back to me. For now running is slow and tough.

We ran at our local lake (which is so low, it can hardly be called a lake anymore- more like a pond). We ran down on the lake bed that's dry and did some "beach" running. Got some strange looks, but when will I ever be able to say I ran at the bottom of the lake again? Still snow-packed (I agree hard snow is tougher than concrete to run on), but nice and still. Only saw a few other hard-core runners out. We're crazy not to run on a nice day like today. Sun shining, snow melting, peaceful morning.

Have a great running week, ladies! :)

yellow
12-03-2006, 11:48 AM
Grog...not sure if you are familiar with Sunset magazine, but we always call neighborhoods like Point Grey "Sunset-magazine-neighborhoods". I guess you could call them House-Beautiful-neighborhoods too. The garage doors of some of those houses are worth more than all of my worldly possessions combined.

I've decided I really like running in the very cold (OK, very cold for Utah). I was out of town on business and didn't get to run much this week either (2 eves on the treadmill...ick) but managed a 7.5 miler yesterday. It was probably about 25 F but sunny. Still lots of ice & snow about, but a lovely run. I keep wondering if I'll be able to hack summer once it comes back. (I went out skate skiing this am and needed blue wax, which means that it was darn cold. Snow temp was -3 F. I only wore a thin tneck and my PI Kodiak jacket...and I got overheated. Maybe I need to move to Yellowknife???!!)

My sad news is that they had the first draw for the Canyonlands Half Marathon (in Moab) and I was not selected. :( They do one more draw, Dec 15. If I don't get in the 2nd time, I think I'll shoot for a trail 25k in late March on Antelope Island (the Buffalo Run (http://www.buffalorun.org/)), which is an island in the Great Salty Lake. They also have a 50k but my knee isn't up to that, and I know I can do 25k as I did that a week or so ago. Still, I really want to go run the Canyonlands Half. :(

I haven't been on my bike in several weeks now and I don't really miss it. :p

Bikingmomof3
12-03-2006, 11:56 AM
After a rocky start to my week, I was able to get back out running in the evenings. Good thing, I am very cranky if I miss a run. I love running in the cold. :D The colder, the happier I am. Weird, I know. :rolleyes: I find I am running farther than planned because everyone has their Christmas lights and decorations up. Makes the time fly by even faster. Have I mentioned I love running?

Grog
12-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Good job on the runs ladies!

Don't worry about your legs Tri Girl, they've taken you through the IM, they'll take you through that half-marathon. Just be nice to them though... They work hard!!!!

Yes, Yellow, they're definitely "Sunset houses"!!!! Some of them are nice, others are just obscene and kitch. Most you can't really see because they have such high hedges!!

Running in the cold is indeed great, as long as it's below freezing (otherwise there's too much water on the roads and I get miserable). I generally overdress slightly but with wool and I don't stop so I don't mind getting wet. I love the toasty feeling when I start and never really get chilly. I make the mistake of putting on a jacket over a wool layer, instead of, say, two wool layers. The jackets don't breathe enough. I just can't get out of my mind the idea that if I'm going outside I should wear a jacket!!!

seychelle
12-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Walked a painful 2.07 miles (yes, every digit after the decimal point counts for me) :( Will my foot ever recover ?

Be thankful y'all can run ! I'm jealous :p

colby
12-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Needless to say, no running for me this weekend. On Friday, I had an acupuncture treatment, which felt great. She told me to take it easy and I think I failed at that -- went snowboarding on Saturday, so I was pretty much doing squats for 6 hours. ;) I was expecting to suck and to hurt, but I actually did great. Today, my calves are a little sore, but not too bad. Nothing compared to last weekend, or any of my long runs.

The good news: I also am not fitting into my winter clothes the same way I did last year. You really don't notice any gradual change in your body, but compared to last year it's a big difference. I had ski pants that were a little big but could be adjusted, and now I can't wear them at all or they fall off even fully adjusted. I wear a compression suit that suddenly is easier to zip and get into and out of. Hooray! :) Lots of squishy still to go, but lots of squishy gone, too.

I got to lecture my dad on ice-then-heat technique. He says you ladies out there that do the ice baths are more woman than he is. ;) I made him ice his calves and quads anyway, I probably should take my own advice, though I was expecting to be useless today and I really feel good.

I kind of miss running, I'm looking forward to picking it up again. Also looking forward to seeing my bicycle again. :) I think I'm in that dangerous territory between feeling like you're healed and actually being healed. Going to follow the plan of cross-training this week (yoga, bike, etc) and picking running up again next week.

I do like running in the cold because there are fewer people, it's easier to pick up the dog poop if she's with me, and I can control my temperature a lot better. Too bad the roads are too dicey to ride.

mcoleman
12-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Way to go on all of those cold runs. Brrrr!
The marathon is this Saturday, so we only ran 10 last weekend. I think the week before a marathon is one of the toughest, trying to rest up and eat right. This is the first distance run I have trained for, that I have not lost any weight. Of course, I've been eating like a pig, but a pound or two would have been nice.

colby
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Way to go on all of those cold runs. Brrrr!
The marathon is this Saturday, so we only ran 10 last weekend. I think the week before a marathon is one of the toughest, trying to rest up and eat right. This is the first distance run I have trained for, that I have not lost any weight. Of course, I've been eating like a pig, but a pound or two would have been nice.

Maybe all that good nutrition means you'll run an awesome race. :D Either way, training for all this distance, you've built a more efficient machine. After the race, your body will be ready to lose weight better ;)

You're almost there! Enjoy the pasta and bread that awaits you at the end of the week. ;)