PDA

View Full Version : MTB in Mexico

Sheesh
12-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Mr. Sheesh and I are headed to Puerto Vallarta on Tuesday and we're hoping to do a little mountain biking while we're there. I've never mountain biked before, but Mr. Sheesh has. So, I scoured the forums (and a few other forums) to find some recommendations on companies and found this one (http://www.ecoridemex.com/). I think we're going to try the Vallejo tour since it's for all level of riders and the other rides look way more complex than I expect I can handle. But, if that goes well, we may just rent bikes and take another trip on our own.

Thoughts? Does this look like an okay ride for a first-time mountain biker or do you think I might be able to handle some of the harder trips since I do a lot of road riding? I know they are two different types of riding, but I'm worried that the "all levels" ride may be geared more towards the average out of shape tourist...what do you think?

Tri Girl
12-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Wow- that looks like a lot of fun! I think the tour you selected sounds like it would be good. Since the pictures are no indication of the ride (the same for all the rides you click on), based on the description and the descriptions of the others, this seems like the most sensible for your first mtn bike ride. Of course, I have no idea of your fitness level/bike handling skills/balance skills. Mtn biking is so very different from road riding (obviously), and the muscles you use will be different (although the same, you know?). Anyway, the first time I went mtn biking my legs were sore the next day (and the trail was not too terribly complicated, and I'm an experienced roadie). I would say do the easy one, that way you can enjoy it, without worrying about being able to do the more technical/difficult sections of the other rides. It's the technical descending/climbing that makes mtn biking so very diff. from road riding.

Anyway, just my two cents. I think all the tours look fantastic! I'm envious of your trip to Mexico, and your mtn biking trip. Have a FANTASTIC time, and whatever trip you do, please take pics and share them with us when you return. I'd love to see mtn biking in Mexico! :D

rocknrollgirl
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM
I agree with Tri Girl. Better to have the ride too easy than too hard. I cannot think of anything more miserable than being out on a mt bike and being in over your head...well maybe being on a ski slope and being in over your head.

Ruth

sarahkonamojo
12-03-2006, 05:19 PM
I would recommend the Yelapa trip. You will get farther away from PV and see a really unique village.

Longer ride, more expensive, but a much cooler experience.

I have not ridden with the company, but I have spent a lot of time in the region. And I am ocean centric when in the PV area. I'd ride towards the ocean not away.

Have fun whatever you do. And beware the time share sales people. Just say no and walk away very quickly.

Sarah

Sheesh
12-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! I was worried about being bored with "too easy" of a ride, but since it does sound like it will be very different from road riding, I'm sure we'll be okay. Thanks!

Sheesh
12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
We didn't make it to the mountains, but we did have a fun ride! We basically rode through the valley and the guide pointed out the mountains and gave us an idea of some of the more technical rides that he does, but since I'm not a mountain biker, we stuck to dirt rodes and basically cow paths.

Our trip took us into a small village and we arrived in the village square just as mass was starting for the festival to celebrate "Our Lady of Guadalupe". The bell ringer was sitting on the curb out front, so our guide struck up a conversation to find out what was going on - lots of women and children in white entering the church - and the bell ringer explained. He then offered to take us up to the very top of the church while he rang the bells. Pictures below!

Our guide was great! His name is Alex from Outdoor Vallarta (http://www.outdoorvallarta.com). He leads hiking, surfing, and mountain biking trips in the area - and he owns a local bike shop. He's making an effort to get locals interested in mountain biking (and they have some GREAT mountains for it!) and slowly but surely it's starting to take off. If anyone else ends up taking a trip to Puerto Vallarta, I highly recommend connecting with Alex for a bike trip.

Sheesh
12-13-2006, 04:22 PM
More pics...

Tri Girl
12-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Wow, Sheesh!! Those pics are simply breathtaking! How neat that you got to go to the top of the bell tower and see Mass. Mexico is such a beautiful country. Sounds like you had a fantastic ride, and got to see some incredible things. The mountains look gorgeous! If we ever head that way, we'll be sure to look Alex up. Thanks for the tips!
Glad you had fun. I can never get enough Mexico pics- do you have any more?

Sheesh
12-13-2006, 06:29 PM
TriGirl - I'm trying to upload all of our pics to photobucket, but it's taking a while. As soon as they're uploaded, I'll post the link. We have a lot of great sunset pictures!

I wanted to make sure and come back and post positive reviews of Alex and Outdoor Vallarta (http://www.outdoorvallarta.com) because I found very few forum posts on any of the cycling forums about biking in Puerto Vallarta...a few folks have asked for recommendations but they don't seem to come back to give feedback for anyone who may be looking later.

Edit: OK, pictures are posted. (http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k193/Sheesh_photo/Puerto%20Vallarta/?start=0)

xeney
12-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh, you are making me so jealous. I love Puerto Vallarta but we have never done any biking there. We were supposed to go there in January for a long horseback riding trip, but instead we are headed to the Yucatan. We've been to PV three times in three years and feel like maybe we should branch out, but it is one of my favorite places and your pictures made me wish we were going there instead.

Tri Girl
12-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Sheesh,
your pictures are so beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing them! I'm sitting here all bundled up, and looking at your pictures make me feel so happy. I just love Mexico. We're hooked on the Mayan Riviera and Cancun, but I would like to try the Pacific Coast sometime in the future. What resort did you stay at? It looks beautiful? Is that a liquor dispenser on the wall in your room? :D Gotta love Mexico!

Thanks again for posting your pics! Looks like you had a wonderful vacation!!!! It's also nice to put a face with a name.

Sheesh
12-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Tri Girl - YES! The liquor dispenser was pretty cool! As were the beers that were restocked every other day. :D We stayed at the Riu Jalisco, which is in Nuevo Vallarta (about 20 minutes north of Puerto Vallarta). The resort was amazing and we loved every minute of it. Here's a link (http://sheesh1.blogspot.com/2006/12/you-know-you-missed-me.html) to a quick entry on my blog about our trip (includes links to the resort).

However, I would not recommend staying in Nuevo Vallarta on your first trip to Puerto Vallarta because it's too far from the downtown area which is really where you have to go on your first visit.

Xeney - This was our third time going to Puerto Vallarta and we had considered going somewhere else this time, but the deal was just too good to pass up (airfare, 7 nights, all inclusive for $599 pp). I, too, am in love with Mexico and would love to retire there someday (I'm definitely dreaming on that one...).

Tri Girl - I hope you make it to Puerto Vallarta some day!

xeney
12-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Yes, retirement in Jalisco is definitely a thing we have looked into. I love that part of Mexico so much.

We have never stayed in a resort there. We always stay downtown.

Sheesh
12-17-2008, 07:11 AM
We just got back from another week in Puerto Vallarta and had a fantastic time! We hooked up with Alex again from Outdoor Vallarta and this time we went for a more challenging ride. We started in San Pancho, on the ocean, and headed up some twisty-windy, steep dirt roads to the top of one of the mountain/hills. The ride wasn't really technical exactly, but the hills were steep enough and rocky enough that I ended up pushing the bike up several of them. But, it was still a great time. We finished the ride back in San Pancho with lunch (chilaquiles con pollo, yum!) and then headed back to the resort.

This is my shameless plug for Alex: Alex and Outdoor Vallarta (http://www.outdoorvallarta.com) (and the bike shop, Vallarta Bikes) are the few biking tour companies left in Puerto Vallarta. Most people go to PV for food, liquor, and sun, not thinking of the fact that the Sierra Madres are right there. GREAT mountain biking! If you're looking for a new vacation destination where you can relax in the sun and get in some great MTB rides, please do consider Alex. You won't regret it!

Pictures below! :)