PDA

View Full Version : Sore Archs? What's up?

KSH
12-03-2006, 06:32 AM
OK, the past couple of days, my archs have been sore. Seriously. When I rub them, they hurt. Well, even if I don't rub them, they hurt.

The left one started to hurt after the 4-miler on Tuesday. The right one started to hurt after the 3 miler on Friday.

Maybe I need new shoes? But I haven't run that many miles in them.

I also wonder if it's my work shoes doing my feet in. As you know ladies, our heels/boots/etc. do not have arch support.

Maybe I should see a foot Dr. and get inserts for my day shoes?

It's really frustrating.

KnottedYet
12-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I'm not a Dr, but I pretend to be one on message boards....;)

Do you use Superfeet or other stiff-hindfoot/soft-forefoot insoles? They only cost $35 or so, and I've found that our patients who have new arch pain can usually clear it up with Superfeet or Spectrum Stabilizers.

Superfeet are the easiest to find. They have a couple different footbed profiles (designated by color of the top fabric). I'd recommend going to a running store or other specialty store where they can try the different footbeds on you and they have someone who knows feet. A good fitter will look at your bare feet and watch you walk, then watch you stand on the footbeds on the bare floor, then watch you walk with the footbeds in your shoes.

You wear them in all your shoes. There are 3/4 length stiff-hindfoot insoles for dress shoes, too.

Since these critters are HARD, you will want to give your feet a chance to get used to them. (wear them 1 hr the first day, 2 hrs the next, etc until you feel comfortable) They will put your feet into a functional position, which means the muscles that were taking a vacation (and letting your foot collapse a little) will suddenly have to start working again. Depending on how slack they are, your feet could get tired. Like a footsie-workout. So could muscles in your hips/butt. Don't be surprised!

Neutral insoles (like Superfeet) will make your feet stronger. But they may get tired first.

If you have a true structural disfunction (as opposed to muscular, for which you should see a PT if it continues) you will need custom corrective orthotics which run about $375 at the clinic where I work.

Grog
12-03-2006, 07:37 AM
How many is "few miles"?

I had to change my Asics Cumulus after only about 400 km (250 miles) because I started to ache in weird places... including my feet.

KnottedYet
12-03-2006, 08:46 AM
Maybe a beefier shoe would work better for you? Brooks Ariel or Addiction are my favorites, and I recc them quite often to foot patients.

mimitabby
12-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Brooks makes shoes??

Knot,
I have been wearing NIKE FREE shoes (not on the bike) and I really really really like them (the way they feel) but now i fear that nothing else will ever work
except for going barefoot of course.

You mentioned superfeet, can you just buy that off the shelf? now that i am going to try going clipless, i fear that it might affect my arches.

Thanks
mimi

Tri Girl
12-03-2006, 09:33 AM
KSH- maybe it is your work shoes. I have very flat feet and only when I noticed my arches hurting did I take action (went to the foot doc, found out I overpronate severely, started taping my feet and wearing the ugliest motion control shoes made- Brooks Ariel- but they are WONDERFUL for my feet). Anyway, maybe you need orthotics like the other ladies said.
Wow- that was not helpful, but I hope you figure out why your arches are screaming so much lately. :)

Bikingmomof3
12-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Brooks makes shoes??

Thanks
mimi

Oh yes. They are the preferred running shoe here. I have 2 pair, DH has 1 pair, and DS has 3.

*smacks forehead* different company than Brooks Saddles.

Deborajen
12-03-2006, 12:33 PM
KSH - I had arch pain a year or so ago. Never had foot problems but then the arches started hurting when I'd run 4-5 miles. I tried several things but what ultimately worked for me was cutting back on the miles for a few weeks to relieve the foot stress and then getting a cushioned shoe for distance running.

What is your foot type? I have high arches and have had great luck with the Nike Pegasys. I trained for and ran my half marathon in them this year. They're a cushioned shoe made for a neutral to high arch.

I went to a foot doctor and he recommended orthotics (which cost $500 and aren't covered by my health insurance), but all he'd say about those vs. over-the-counter arch supports was "they're not adequate." I've heard a few positive things about the Good Feet Store and I'd probably try them next if the cushioned shoes aren't enough. Custom orthotics would be a last resort for me, but I've heard that some people swear by them.

Hope this helps. Good luck - hope you can find something that works.

Deb

makbike
12-03-2006, 01:03 PM
KSH:

Let me start by saying I'm not a runner but I do suffer from "falling arches" as well as other foot aliments. I see a great foot doctor and have for the past several years been able to purchase affordable ($40) and very good inserts (Powerstep) for my shoes from him. When I learned my arches were falling (news delivered by chiropractor) I scheduled an appointment with my foot doc who added an arch support to the Powerstep inserts - problem fixed.

For some relief you might take a water bottle and fill it 2/3rds full and stick it in your freezer. Once frozen place it on the floor and roll your sore foot across it for 15-20 minutes.

I hope you find some relief.

KSH
12-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm not a Dr, but I pretend to be one on message boards....;)

Do you use Superfeet or other stiff-hindfoot/soft-forefoot insoles? They only cost $35 or so, and I've found that our patients who have new arch pain can usually clear it up with Superfeet or Spectrum Stabilizers.

Superfeet are the easiest to find. They have a couple different footbed profiles (designated by color of the top fabric). I'd recommend going to a running store or other specialty store where they can try the different footbeds on you and they have someone who knows feet. A good fitter will look at your bare feet and watch you walk, then watch you stand on the footbeds on the bare floor, then watch you walk with the footbeds in your shoes.

You wear them in all your shoes. There are 3/4 length stiff-hindfoot insoles for dress shoes, too.

Since these critters are HARD, you will want to give your feet a chance to get used to them. (wear them 1 hr the first day, 2 hrs the next, etc until you feel comfortable) They will put your feet into a functional position, which means the muscles that were taking a vacation (and letting your foot collapse a little) will suddenly have to start working again. Depending on how slack they are, your feet could get tired. Like a footsie-workout. So could muscles in your hips/butt. Don't be surprised!

Neutral insoles (like Superfeet) will make your feet stronger. But they may get tired first.

Thanks for this suggestion. I will look into those and see if it's something I want to try out.

KSH
12-03-2006, 06:12 PM
KSH - I had arch pain a year or so ago. Never had foot problems but then the arches started hurting when I'd run 4-5 miles. I tried several things but what ultimately worked for me was cutting back on the miles for a few weeks to relieve the foot stress and then getting a cushioned shoe for distance running.

What is your foot type? I have high arches and have had great luck with the Nike Pegasys. I trained for and ran my half marathon in them this year. They're a cushioned shoe made for a neutral to high arch.

I went to a foot doctor and he recommended orthotics (which cost $500 and aren't covered by my health insurance), but all he'd say about those vs. over-the-counter arch supports was "they're not adequate." I've heard a few positive things about the Good Feet Store and I'd probably try them next if the cushioned shoes aren't enough. Custom orthotics would be a last resort for me, but I've heard that some people swear by them.

Hope this helps. Good luck - hope you can find something that works.

Deb

Well, I don't have high archs.

I might try cutting back on the miles some over the next week or so. Maybe that will help.

I'll talk to my running coach to see what he says as well... but I won't be seeing him for another couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I appreciate it!

KSH
12-03-2006, 06:14 PM
KSH- maybe it is your work shoes. I have very flat feet and only when I noticed my arches hurting did I take action (went to the foot doc, found out I overpronate severely, started taping my feet and wearing the ugliest motion control shoes made- Brooks Ariel- but they are WONDERFUL for my feet).

It might be something to look into... a new brand of shoes. My current brand I have been running in for a year.

The most recent pair of shoes I have been running in... well, I haven't put over 100 miles on them. If these Brooks wear out in 100 miles, then I really do need to switch brands.

KSH
12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Maybe a beefier shoe would work better for you? Brooks Ariel or Addiction are my favorites, and I recc them quite often to foot patients.

Beefier... how? More cushion?

See, the odd thing is that I don't run on my heels... because of my running form... and running shoes don't put cushion where I need them... in my mid foot.

All these wonderful shoes have these heels with all this cushion... which probably hinders me more than anything.

I hope that show makers get up to date on the new running form...soon!

KnottedYet
12-03-2006, 08:38 PM
No, less cushion.

You want stability, not smooshy.

Firmer foam with less squish, and often with external heel counters. Brooks Ariel/Beast and Addiction are very well built, very sturdy and stable. And they ARE built up under the midfoot.

I've run in Addictions for years, then switched up to Beasts when my grumpy knee started talking to me more. (Beasts are the mens version of Ariels, wider toe-box)

salsabike
12-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Mimi, REI has Superfeet.

suzieqtwa
12-04-2006, 07:54 AM
As a ex runner ,it sounds like maybe plantar fasiiitis. When I had ,it was in my arch ,and went into my heel. I got a cortisone shot in the arch of my foot. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !! :eek: it worked for one foot ,then I got it on the other foot a year later ,and the shots didn't work that time. Does you heel hurt when you first get out of bed in the morning?

Offthegrid
12-04-2006, 08:39 AM
KSH, there are cheaper, noncustom orthotics you can get from a podiatrist. I think they're called BFOs. Mine were $20/pair. They last 6 months. I am getting custom orthotics, and these were just to tide me over until those were finished.

Before I had those, I was using Superfeet, but these did not fix my problems (PF and shin splints).

KSH
12-04-2006, 02:38 PM
As a ex runner ,it sounds like maybe plantar fasiiitis. When I had ,it was in my arch ,and went into my heel. I got a cortisone shot in the arch of my foot. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !! :eek: it worked for one foot ,then I got it on the other foot a year later ,and the shots didn't work that time. Does you heel hurt when you first get out of bed in the morning?

Naw, my heel never hurts. My archs feel better today. I am going to hope and pray that it's not a serious injury... but maybe a slight overuse injury because I have upped my miles some.

seychelle
12-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Naw, my heel never hurts. My archs feel better today. I am going to hope and pray that it's not a serious injury... but maybe a slight overuse injury because I have upped my miles some.

You can have PF and your heels not hurt. The plantar fascia runs all along the bottom of the foot so it can be anywhere. I have it in my arch and my heel has never hurt.

Have you tried doing toe curls, dorsiflex the toes while standing, and stretch the achilles tendon ? Also, roll the bottom of your foot on a rolling pin or 3/4 full, frozen water bottle. I have a foot roller I got a Bed Bath & Beyond that I roll my feet on while I'm on the computer. Kills 2 birds with one stone :D

Another thing, make sure your shoes are in good condition. If they are worn, they may be telling you it's time to get new ones.

KSH
12-04-2006, 07:03 PM
You can have PF and your heels not hurt. The plantar fascia runs all along the bottom of the foot so it can be anywhere. I have it in my arch and my heel has never hurt.

Have you tried doing toe curls, dorsiflex the toes while standing, and stretch the achilles tendon ? Also, roll the bottom of your foot on a rolling pin or 3/4 full, frozen water bottle. I have a foot roller I got a Bed Bath & Beyond that I roll my feet on while I'm on the computer. Kills 2 birds with one stone :D

Another thing, make sure your shoes are in good condition. If they are worn, they may be telling you it's time to get new ones.

Ah... great. I bet it would be just my luck that I have a new serious injury. Gosh darn it. I hope not.

I will try the exercises you suggested. Couldn't hurt.