PDA

View Full Version : Spouse hit by car! First time rider, Loss of biking time.

ACG
05-05-2004, 12:58 PM
I've been riding for a while, really just serious the last 6 months.

My spouse recently found out he has hi BP, cholesterol and diabetes, the triple whammy. So he figures, he'll go buy himself a bike and go with me. This is a story for another time. Anyway, his first time out on a bike in 30 years, we planned an easy 7 mile ride for him (much to his dismay). We rid 3/4 mile and wham! Some driver almost hits me, then hits him.

My spouse has a crushed tibia, can't put weight on it for 8-10 weeks, I rented a hospital bed, handicapped potty, wheelchair you name it!

Problem is my bike time has now turned into my nurse time. I sponge bathe him, go into work early so that I can take 2 hour lunches. Etc.

I don't like to ride at night, and somehow riding inside after I get home from work doesn't seem the same.

I don't want to loose the strength I worked so hard to build up.

Any tips!

SnowMouse
05-05-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm in a similar situation, at the 5 and a bit week point after breaking my colar bone, been confined to riding on the trainer at home. It got real boring at times, but like you I couldn't bear loosing what fitness I had built. But now I am so glad I kept pedalling at home, I'm off for a ride outdoors this Saturday and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! It's probably a good thing to show your passion for cycling too in this way, so as to increase the chance he'll return to cycling after recovering. Hope time passes quickly over the coming weeks!

Adventure Girl
05-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Ohhh ouch! I guess the best way to look at it is that he's going to be ok and it could have been much worse! That's really too bad that it happened on his first ride! That's not a good first impression of the world of cycling!

I was in a similar situation last year. My husband was in a very serious motorcycle accident. He spent 2 weeks in the hospital and took several months to recover from a collapsed lung, a broken foot and 8 broken ribs (etc. etc. etc….). He recovered fully, but it was pretty tough for a while. I had to adjust my priorities and put my cycling life on hold. My life during that time consisted of working and taking care of him. I was happy to do anything I could to help him; I wish I could have done more! I knew it was a temporary change in my schedule, and I was just thankful that he survived and recovered. But with my elevated stress level, I sure could have used a nice long ride!!

So what can you do to get a workout in now and then? Do you have a fluid trainer? Indoor training isn’t much fun, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. You say that you rented a wheel chair. Can you go for a walk pushing him in the wheel chair? It might be a slow stroll to start with (I don’t know if he could handle rolling along as you power walk!!). He might enjoy getting outside a little bit.

You probably will lose some of the strength you have built, but you can build it up again. The more important things is his recovery, isn’t it? Good luck to you and your husband.

aka_kim
05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
What an awful re-introduction to cycling! Last year my BF had both hips replaced in separate surgeries, with about a 5 week recovery period for each. Fortunately I wasn't working then, since at the beginning taking care of him often felt like a full-time job. But, it does get easier, and your husband will probably become more self-sufficent with each passing week. Think of his recovery as a team effort, and do what you gotta do.

Cdalekat
05-06-2004, 06:06 AM
I'm presuming he has use of his arms? If so, he can do much for himself. (i've been there and been worse, so I know)

Leave him lunch at his bedside in a cooler - that way he can feed himself and you don't need to come home. You can just check up on him with a phone call. (this way you can get a ride in before work, get to work a little later and not take a 2 hour lunch)

He also shouldn't need a sponge bath everyday - probably more like once every 3-4 days. Even being non-weight bearing and only having use of one arm, I managed to sponge bathe myself (as long as some got me the supplies/water and took them away). This will give you some extra time each day to sneak out for a short ride.

Think in increments of shorter rides - aim for 30 or 45 minutes - this way you can sneak them in and finish off any remaining time indoors.

I hope he heels well!!

bentforlife
05-06-2004, 07:38 AM
I'm so sorry for what has happened to you and your husband. I've had a similar situation with a complete rupture of an Achilles tendon. I'm a nurse and felt completely helpless. My husband had to help bathe me, dress me, etc. After about 2 weeks I decided enough was enough! I started taking back some of those things(I was in a cast for 13 weeks). By the time I got the cast off the only thing I really needed help with was getting into the tub. I had a back scrubber loufa to clean the "far away places" on my body. We had a left footed pedal adaptor put on the car so I could drive also, and a temporary handicapped placard.

When your husband starts feeling better, painwise,etc., encourage him to help himself with some things like bathing himself, getting up on the crutches and fixing lunch for himself. The more he will get up and move around, the less likely it will be that he will have any complications.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes over 8 years ago, so I can relate to his condition. Continue to encourage him. I've lost 80 lbs. and am about 30 from my goal weight. He'll feel better and so will you.

Good luck and you are both in my prayers as he recovers.

Donna

spokes
05-06-2004, 02:16 PM
in times of increased stress, having a good social support network can make all the difference! for some sanity time on the weekend, or a night 'off', or a morning to get in an early ride.... ask close freinds or family to releive you for an hour or two. it may make your husband feel better too, to see someone 'new' if he hasn't been out of the house in ages! if you can, offer some small thing in exchange, like babysitting time for their kids, or homemade cookies when you're up to it! give it a shot, it couldn't hurt! good luck. :)

bentforlife
05-14-2004, 11:58 AM
How is your husband doing? Have not heard from you in a while.

Let us know:)

Donna

ACG
05-14-2004, 12:50 PM
He can go to the bathroom alone, hurray. He has lost a lot of muscle mass. He can shower in a real shower, I come home and take 2 hour lunches to help him shower.

He starts realy physical therapy next week. So far the therapist has been coming to our home.

The guy who hit him, says he didn't see us. He almost hit me! Hit my hubby instead. I had my strobe on, I was in front, I have reflective tape all over my bike! It was 6:15 a.m. sun was up.
We had on bright clothing.

I'm gonna start riding M/W/F, I tried to prep my bike and I have a flat, getting it fixed today.