PDA

View Full Version : Recipe help!

SadieKate
12-01-2006, 07:49 AM
We've been invited to an Italian-themed potluck tomorrow for a friend's 3-year old birthday party. Dad told us (because I asked) the best thing would be to bring an appetizer/vegetable dish.

We don't cook Italian! What do we take? It's about a 90 min drive so cold or room temperature would be best. I've never been to their house so have no idea how easy it would be to reheat. I do have hot plates but that doesn't sound like a really good plan with children around.

I know you all with have some good ideas.

snapdragen
12-01-2006, 07:52 AM
How about an Antipasto? Sliced cheese, veggies, salami, pepperocini........

uk elephant
12-01-2006, 07:59 AM
How about some good foccacia? Excellent also served cold. Or just some good bread and cheese? Or some breadsticks? I'm a big fan of bread and cheese whatever the occasion....

Alternatively, bring some form of salad. Tomato and mozzarella sala for example. Fresh tomatoes, fresh basil and proper fresh buffalo mozzarella tossed together with a bit of salt and pepper and olive oil.

mimitabby
12-01-2006, 08:14 AM
nobody said OLIVES?!?

and for after dinner, a favorite Italian repast is fruits and nuts.
serve nuts IN the shell, and folks sit around cracking nuts and talking.
It is a most wonderful way to spend time.

suzieqtwa
12-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Im not sure whats its called...but you slice a tomato ,add a slice of fresh mozzeralla cheese , some Basil leaves , top with balsimic vinegar,and olive oil You can make it at the party if you want. EASY>>>and good

Kimmyt
12-01-2006, 08:32 AM
I second the Antipasto platter... I had to bring an appy for Xmas last year and did this... stopped at a good cheese shoppe/charcuterie and everyone was happy!

I put out provolone, buffalo mozzarella, a variety of pepperonis/salami, and wrapped melon balls in prosciutt. I also had a small side tray of cheese-stuffed olives and roasted red peppers. It was a hit!

It didn't take much effort, though it can get kind of expensive depending on how crazy you go with the shopping!

slinkedog
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Hey SK! You could also do a cold bruschetta. Toast the bread pieces and make the topping. Port to the party separately and then assemble when you get there.

I also like the idea of the tomato salad with the mozzarella and fresh basil. Just make sure you use fresh mozzarella, not the kind in plastic wrapping. Here's a link to a recipe I am planning on doing soon for heirloom tomato salad:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/235735

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Im not sure whats its called...but you slice a tomato ,add a slice of fresh mozzeralla cheese , some Basil leaves , top with balsimic vinegar,and olive oil You can make it at the party if you want. EASY>>>and good

Wow Suzie I make that all the time! It's the greatest thing to bring to parties! People just LOVE it. And yes you can make it quickly right there on a platter. (Just make sure you get soft FRESH mozz, not the aged kind.)

mlove
12-01-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure whats its called...but you slice a tomato ,add a slice of fresh mozzeralla cheese , some Basil leaves , top with balsimic vinegar,and olive oil You can make it at the party if you want. EASY>>>and good

This is Insalata Caprese.

SadieKate
12-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the ideas. I had thought about bruschetta which I adore but tomatoes this time of year. Not so hot. I guess I could buy hot house but it ain't the same.:(

slinkedog
12-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Do you have an Andronico's or other upscale market that gets good produce year round? It will be expensive, but yummy!! :)

Maybe check out the page for Food Network's show "Everyday Italian." Giada de Laurentis has some really good and easy Italian recipes.

Blueberry
12-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the ideas. I had thought about bruschetta which I adore but tomatos this time of year. Not so hot. I guess I could buy hot house but it ain't the same.:(

I had a killer bruschetta at a local restaurant recently - the base was butternut squash, and it was topped with julienned pears and sliced (slightly aged?) ricotta. Delicious!! And it was served at room temperature. So perhaps bruschetta with no 'maters?

SouthernBelle
12-01-2006, 01:04 PM
First cook up some pretty pasta, maybe some nice multi-colored bowties.

Meanwhile, clean and chop some broccoli and cut some baby carrots into toothpicks. In a big hot skillet put some olive oil and garlic and let it start to sizzle. then add veggies and some salt, pepper and whatever spices you like. Stir it all around to coat. Turn it down to medium. Then add about 2 TSBs of water and cover snugly. cook til the broccoli is bright green, still a little crunchy.

Then mix pasta and veggies in a big pretty bowl. You can add a little italian dressing, maybe top with some cheese, basil whatever. Can be served hot or cold.

Takes about 10 minutes.

Bad JuJu
12-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Olive salad (recipe below) poured over cream cheese and served with rounds of crusty Italian bread. Mmmmm......

This is called a Creole recipe--it's found in muffaletta sandwiches which are famously served in New Orleans at the City Market. BUT, it goes great with Italian meals as well.

Creole Olive Salad
Ingredients
1 cup pitted brine-cured black olives, such as Nicoise, sliced
1 cup large (queen) pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp minced shallots
2 tbsp finely chopped celery
2 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp minced garlic
1-1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Instructions
Combine all the ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix well. If you want a finer mix, you can whirl it all in the food processor for a few pulses. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. (The salad can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)

Bad JuJu
12-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Addendum: Throw in a little basil and oregano if you like those flavors, and you can use scallions instead of shallots, and any old kind of parsley will do.

SadieKate
12-01-2006, 02:30 PM
What about green beans? I can get really good green beans this time of year. Hmm, green beans with the tomatoes. That would stretch the budget a bit further and make the possibility weak looking tomatoes look a bit better.

SadieKate
12-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey, look! I could probably wing a salad out of this. Maybe toss in some buffalo mozzarella. Would that work with the green beens? Maybe pecorino would be better. I'd leave the tomatoes and basil fresh and uncooked. I also found a bruschetta recipe using roasted red and yellow bell peppers. What do you think. We have a great olive bar at our local market. I could take good olives. They do wonderful olive bread. We have jars and jars of olive tapenade in the pantry. You've inspired me.

On the nut side, I could just get a giant bag of pistachios at the Farmer's Market. That would be a hit.

GREEN BEANS BRAISED WITH TOMATOES AND BASIL

Fagiolini in Umido
Many versions of this simple, fresh, and flavorful contorno (vegetable side dish) are served in Italy. Lightly braising the green beans cooks them to a pleasingly crisp yet tender texture.

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped white onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
2 large plum tomatoes, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup water

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion softens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add green beans, tomatoes, basil leaves, and 1/2 cup water. Cook until beans are crisp-tender, stirring and tossing occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
May 2005

Deanna
12-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Just about any food can be improved by being in the proximity of prosciutto. How about:

Green beans & Prosciutto .

Ingredients
2 cups Green Beans
1tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4tsp dried oregano
1 to 2 oz prosciutto, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Preparation
In a medium saucepan, cook beans in boiling water, uncovered, until just tender, drain well. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic and oregano and cook 1 minute; stir in prosciutto. Add beans, stirring to coat and heat through, about 2 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice, season with salt and pepper.

This would probably be good as a cold salad too.

SadieKate
12-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Yum. Proscuitto.

I wrap fresh figs with prosciutto, stuff with goat cheese and broil with a balsamic glaze. Mine! All mine. I don't share.:p

Thanks, Deanna.

Deanna
12-01-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't usually share my prosciutto either. It gets hidden in the back of the fridge. Those figs sound great!

slinkedog
12-01-2006, 05:14 PM
If you like cheese and you like figs, may I recommend the Basque Shepherd's cheese at Trader Joe's, some good chevre and brie along with figs, some good bread and good red wine? Dinner! ;)

withm
12-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I have been making this every few weeks - it's really easy. If you use dried beans it needs salt.

Antipasto White Bean Salad

Four 15-ounce cans white beans, drained and rinsed,
(or 6 1/2 cups cooked white beans)
4 large stalks celery, cut into 1/4 - to 1/2 -inch cubes
4 ounces thin-sliced prosciutto, hard Italian salami and/or Italian ham,
cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide and 1 inch long
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
10 large basil leaves, cut into thin strips
Freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, adding pepper to taste.
Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

Note:
To de-gas dried beans, put them in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil. Off heat. Add 2 or 3 Tablespoons baking soda (slowly, stirring; if you leave it on heat it will bubble over and make a huge mess). Cover the beans, let soak overnight or longer. Then, DRAIN (don't skip this step or you will be really, really uncomfortable) the beans, rinse, wash the pot. Put beans back in the pot with fresh water to cover, bring to a boil, cook till done. Great Northern Beans maybe 15 -20 minutes. Drain and proceed with your recipe. This works for de-gassing all types of beans, though some may need longer cooking time.