PDA

View Full Version : please help!

makbike
11-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I've not had a solid night of sleep since Saturday and I'm exhausted. I started running a low grade fever Saturday evening which was the first sign of the sinus infection which reared its ugly head Sunday evening. I went to school on Monday made it through the day and came home exhausted. Again, sleep evaded me for my fever increased slightly and I was up and down all night (covers on, covers off, covers on, covers off). Tuesday I again went to school and as the day progressed I knew I was in trouble for I could literally feel the infection working its way down into my lungs (I suffer from asthma and notice very slight changes in my breathing patterns). I called in sick to my second job, called my doctor and put myself in bed - again no solid blocks of sleep. I went to the doctor yesterday and was sent home with antibiotics. I picked up some Mucinex, new inhalers and some cough syrup last night. I went to bed around 11:00 feeling very tired and was up until 4 a.m.! I finally fell asleep and slept two hours until my dogs woke me up crying to go outside. I went back to bed slept another two hours and have been up since 8 a.m. I've tried Nighquil (Sunday and Monday evening), benadryl last night and find myself pretty much befundled and very tired. I'd love to go back to work tomorrow but with no sleep I'm afraid I'l decapitate a student or two with my very short fuse not to mention I'm afraid of a relapse. Please feel free to give me any suggestions, hints, remedies for I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. I have a few muscle relaxers left from an earlier issue this year and I'm considering taking one tonight just to see if that will knock me out and send me off to slumberland.

Sleepless in Shelbyville:(

mimitabby
11-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Makbike,
you're taking several different things that can mess up your sleep. (muscle relaxants, nyquil, and I'm not sure what mucinex is)
keep taking your antibiotics, take some tylenol or advil for pain, and take a hot bath before bedtime.
other than that, i am clueless.

you might also go for a walk during the sunniest part of the day today.
(and have chicken soup for lunch)

good luck

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-30-2006, 08:10 AM
I agree with Mimi (as usual)- the more medications you mix together, the worse you are going to feel. I can't take much benedryl or cold medicines because they give me a creepy "buzz" where I feel nauseous, slightly electrified, and my skin crawls in the most unpleasant manner. :( I can't sleep then!

Do like Mimi said- take your antibiotics and only the ESSENTIAL medicine, go for a walk or take a hot bath, eat some soup or other comforting food, and crawl into bed under warm blankets. Don't take additional medications- medications are not for mix and match! (especially strong ones like muscle relaxants).

Bikingmomof3
11-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Try just taking the antibiotic. Too many added meds will not allow you sleep. If you are still ruinning a fever take tylenol or advil. Try a hot shower or bath to relax before bed and a hot cup of decaf herbal tea.

bambu101
11-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Both my BF and I have found that Nyquil must be taken in the exact recommended dose in order to help you sleep. If you take a little bit more, it will have the opposite effect of keeping you up. Plus if you are also taking other medications, it could be exacerbating the sleeplessness.

Wendy

LBTC
11-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I agree about all the mixing meds posts. It doesn't always work out the way we hope!

You might, like I do, feel quite relaxed if you take up to 1 gram of calcium (preferably liquid, and preferrably with magnesium and zinc) I find it takes about 20 minutes for the muscle relaxing properties of calcium to kick in.

As it's not a drug, it may not interfere in other ways, but you may still get the benefit!

Good luck!

And, yes, be sure you get the sleep before you go to work again!!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

bouncybouncy
11-30-2006, 12:18 PM
All this advice sounds great! I do find it helpful to have a SMALL glass of merlot (***without taking any of the over the counter meds!!!!) while watching a cute, happy, non-disturbing-in-any-way movie, then crawl into bed with a cup of hot bedtime tea...off to ZZZZZZZZZZZZ's
the wine helps me relax, the tea warms me up...cuddle with something soft and voila!

Also...2 ENTIRE counties have just re-opened schools after being closed for over a week in my area due to the flu...if you think you may still be slightly contagious please stay home at least one more day and don't spread the germs...

Heal quickly...and sleep soundly!!!!

Offthegrid
11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
I suffer from chronic insomnia, so I definitely relate. The more you get upset and frustrated by the lack of sleep, the harder it is to sleep, the more upset and frustrated you get. It stinks.

makbike
11-30-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I must really look like sh*t for when I went into school this afternoon to write lesson plans for tomorrow several of my colleagues commented on my overal crappy appearance. My bestfriend on staff told me I looked like I hadn't slept in days and this was before I told her I had been without sleep for 5 nights! I'm staying home again tomorrow for two reasons, my fever though low grade is still hanging on and my level of exhaustion. I would hate to lash out at a kid for something that would not normally bother me, so it is yet another day on the couch.

I'm half tempted to climb on my bike/trainer this evening and ride for a very short period of time. Just maybe a little light exercise might convince my body/mind that sleep is needed and adjust the chemical imbalance in my tired brain.

I've even given some thought to driving into my BF's place and trying to sleep there, maybe a change of scenery would help. Heck, I think I'm just so tired by body is now fighting the sleep it so desires.

crazybikinchic
11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
When I am sick, I can not sleep. I don't know why, bu t I can't. When I start feeling better, I can sleep.

rocknrollgirl
11-30-2006, 03:20 PM
I use Valerian root drops when I cannot sleep. I get it at the health food store. It is wonderful. I do not know how or if it would react with other meds, so you may want to check.

But i have suffered from insomnai for several years and this really works, with no weird feeling in the morning. Works like a charm.