PDA

View Full Version : Completed my first Duathalon!

ragbrai40
05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Just wanted to share, I completed my first duathalon yesterday! 3K/17K/3K :D What a great experience especially since I have not competed in anything since high school track a looooong time ago!

It was a fairly small event, 150 participants so it wasn't overwhelming for a 1st timer. I would have liked my run times to be faster, but I can't complain based on the amount of running base I had going in. Who wants to run when you can ride?
;)

The run portion was fairly flat, while the bike route had a couple of rolling hills, which were a breeze. Funny, cause another person thought the bike course was hard :confused: . Anyway, I took advantage of the bike and rode all out and passed everyone within striking distance to make up some time.

The transition from bike to run went fairly well, legs weren't as heavy as I've heard they could be, but had a hard time keeping any kind of fast pace so I had to be satisfied with a slow jog. My intention was to finish and to not walk if at all possible. Happy to report, did not walk at all nor did I ever feel that I had to!

It was a fun, challenging event and will be doing some more running to get geared up for my triathalon training this fall. It's funny cause I think duathalons are for runners who bike, not the other way around.

Next event, 10K in two weeks! :eek:

skibum
05-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Congratulations! Wasn't it a blast?

I did my first one too just a few weeks ago. Before the race, I would have classified myself as a runner who bikes. Actually, that's the main reason I signed up for it. I've given up many of my running races in favor of more time on the bike. I'd been missing the adrenaline rush you get from a race so I decided to give the duathlon a try.

Funny thing is, I think I did much better in the biking portion of the race -- passed a lot more people on the bike than on the run. I guess I'm turning into a biker that runs.:D

Have fun with your 10K! My next 10K is July 4th. I'm also thinking of doing another duathlon in August.

ragbrai40
05-03-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm definately not a runner who bikes, I'm a biker who's trying to run and it's a bit of a challenge. Runs are great when I don't have enough time to bike and that's partially why I started running, but it's tough finding a balance between running/biking.

I'm glad I did the race as I wanted some kind of competitive experience under my belt before I tackle the 1/2 marathon in Sept.

I'm trying to figure out what sport I want to do when I grow up let's see how about......a biker, runner, duathalete, triathalete, marathoner? Hmmmm, too many to choose from so let's try 'em all! :eek: The sad thing is I have alot of work to do on most mentioned except biking! :)

I just want to try some of these things at least once as I have to have something to motivate me for training!

kelrunran
05-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Congratulations on your awesome race. I agree - it is so fun and challenging.

I am in my second season of being a triathlete. I was a runner turned triathlete. Our local racing season is finally starting this month. Have something planned for every weekend in May. Next weekend is a run bike run.

I just love all this stuff. You are right though - it is tough to find a good amount of time on your bike with a family, working and such.

Well best of luck in your training and races. Kelly

ragbrai40
05-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Kelly - Good luck with your races this month! I am working toward making the transition to tri's, but won't start the swimming portion until this winter. I've got enough on my plate right now.

My husband is a swimmer so he's been helping me with strokes, breathing and all that, but we have so many other things going on that swimming has taken a back seat. I'll focus on that over the winter and by the time this summer is over with the running/biking that I'm doing, by adding the swim I'll be ready for some tri's next year!

That's the goal! Have you checked out the www.beginnertriathelete.com website? Their forum is a great resource!

Good luck this summer!

Lori

skibum
05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Just finished a lunchtime run. Sometimes you just have to squeeze some training in whenever you can. I am lucky to have showers at work and a flexible work schedule so that makes it easy.

I am like you Lori, so many sports that I enjoy but it's hard to figure out how to fit them all in. I've backed off on soccer and running a little to have more time on the bike. I'd love to give a triathlon a try but I'm not sure if I have time right now to do much swimming. Maybe I can get going on that next winter and be ready to do one this time next year. My training partner for running wants me to train for a marathon with her but I have a hard time imagining how I can bump up my running milage.

Decisions, decisions... I guess for now, I'll just focus on my short-term goals of doing a century bike ride, my 10K race in July and my duathlon in August.

Beth

ragbrai40
05-04-2004, 10:23 AM
I wish I could run over lunch! My work is not as flexible as yours. That's ok, cause I've been able to get to the Y over lunch and my locker has all my shower stuff so it works out ok.

Good luck on your races this summer and your Du in August! My 10K is coming up in two weeks! :eek: It'll be fun!

See ya,

Lori

N.Ga.Cycling
05-04-2004, 11:38 AM
Congrats! That is really AWESOME! I hope to be doing my first dualthalon this year. Glad to know there are some first timers out there! Good luck on your next event!

Hillhugger
05-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Congratulations! Great race!

I have the same problem - good on the bike, running needs improvement. My first Tri comes up by the end of May. I'll see how it goes and take it from there.

Good luck on you 10K!

kelrunran
05-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the good luck wishes. It is definitely hard to find time to fit in all three activities. Usually, one will suffer each week. Swimming is what I really struggle with. I've gotten better but it seems so much easier to take your bike out or throw on your running shoes.

Oh well - when the kids are grown and gone I'll have all kinds of time to train.

Good luck in your training.....Kelly