PDA

View Full Version : Walking On Ice: Stabilicers, Yaktrax, etc...

Quillfred
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
I am looking for opinions on the different gadgets for walking on compact snow and ice. Some of the brands I noticed are:

Yaktrax

Stabilicers -soles and lite models

Shoe Claws

Some of the other types look as they could be flimsy and unreliable. Have you tried them? What is good/bad about them?

Thanks
Quill

divingbiker
11-30-2006, 01:51 AM
I've got Yaktrax. I only use them when walking the dogs in winter. They work pretty well, though I still walk very carefully when going down a hill on ice. They can be a pain to strap on your shoes if you're in a hurry, but generally I'd say I'm pleased with them.

DebW
11-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Are you talking about walking on flat ice or steep ice? In the city or hiking mountains? I have full crampons for winter hiking, but find instep crampons to be wonderful in lots of conditions that don't require full crampons. Insteps have 4-6 points and fit under your instep only, allowing you to take a few steps over rocks on the balls of your feet without engaging the points. They have a simple strap that goes behind your heel and over your instep. I hike with mine on moderately steep trails - when other people are mincing their way up and trying to step from rock to rock, I'm galumpfing my way up rapidly by stomping over the iciest parts. On downhills I take the big steps with confidence and move rapidly. You need to learn to walk confidently on crampons and stomp your feet down with some force to get the best purchase.

The Stabilicers and many of the alternatives have very short spikes, which aren't even sharp, limiting their usefulness to soft ice/packed snow at low angles. Insteps have sharp points like regular crampons, so they really stick. They do stick out from your foot by about 2 inches, so awkward to walk on if they can't dig into something. I do wear mine for taking the dog out in icy conditions, sometimes even over sneakers, but that would be uncomfortable for a long excursion on icy sidewalks. So your application will dictate your choice. If you are interested in insteps, Backpacker mag did a review of several models a few year ago and you could probably find it on their web site (www.backpacker.com). The pair I have are no longer available, but have given me great servive for 25 years.

East Hill
11-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Oh, those are aspects I had never considered! I think Quillfred and the rest of us PNWers are thinking about steep, hard packed ice, in the city. That's what we had for the last few days.

East Hill

DebW
11-30-2006, 05:38 AM
There's a new brand of full crampons called Katoolas (or something like that) that have short spikes and hinges for flexible shoes. Some hikers use them over trail runners. I believe they're aluminum and lightweight, which means they would wear down quickly if used on rocks or bare pavement very much. Might be a good choice for steep ice in the city.

When using any type of crampon, you need to learn kind of a bow-legged walk so your feet stay further apart than normal and you don't catch your points on your pant legs and trip. Gatiers are good for keeping the pants out of they way, but gaiter tears are still pretty common.

Quillfred
11-30-2006, 08:19 AM
For the most part, my use of the anti-slips would be flat and hilly ice for around home and in the mountains (parking lots). I will be spending a week in Juneau and Wrangell (Alaska) in December but I don't have illusions about walking on the glaciers. Time for XC skiing.

I found a few more links this morning (thanks coffee) that provide some debate. The recommendations do shift based on the steepness, frequency of use, altitude (climbing vs walking).

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-3862.html

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=40000000226&storeId=226&categoryId=37770&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=69710

divingbiker - I am leaning towards the Yaktrax for my applications. I won't be using them often enough to worry about durability. Glad to hear you like them.

DebW - I haven't hiked in the winter before but have had pretty good luck with my poles and Vibrams crossing the occasional ice field on Rainier trails during the Summer and Fall. However, if we continue to have snow and ice with any frequency, I will consider http://www.kahtoola.com/ Thanks for your well-considered answer.

EastHill - You're right there. I posted this after hearing a quick mention of Yaktrax and Shoe Claws mentioned on the news. I figured if I was thinking about it, others might be too.

Thanks!
Quill

Aliva21
07-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Everyone I know who have used Yaktrax for hiking have had a negative experience with them. The seem best suited for flat, level terrain i.e. icy sidewalks. The Lee Valley icers seem to be the way to go for hiking slippery trails.

lph
07-10-2009, 02:51 AM
Ok. So I can't help being very curious... exactly how did this thread come to be resurrected in July?? :D :confused:

or am I being very Northern hemisphere-centric here...

NoNo
07-10-2009, 04:03 AM
I got Yaktrax last winter to help in my walk over from the train station. I thought they were great. Without them, I had zero traction and nearly wiped out with every step. With them, I could practically jog on the ice. Granted, this was on flat terrain, so I can't comment on how they'd work for hiking, but overall I was very happy with them. One of the better $20 I've spent;)

Biciclista
07-10-2009, 05:51 AM
I have yaktrax and they made life a lot easier when everything around here was covered with icy snow. It's not all flat here. But i've never tried the other product so i can't compare. Maybe they ARE lots better; but Yaktrax is what i have for now.

Pedal Wench
07-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Ok. So I can't help being very curious... exactly how did this thread come to be resurrected in July?? :D :confused:

or am I being very Northern hemisphere-centric here...

I was thinking the same thing - imagining my icewalker insteps with a pair of shorts and tank top. :)

SadieKate
07-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Everyone I know who have used Yaktrax for hiking have had a negative experience with them. The seem best suited for flat, level terrain i.e. icy sidewalks. The Lee Valley icers seem to be the way to go for hiking slippery trails.

or am I being very Northern hemisphere-centric here...Because we have a new member and one-time poster who hasn't got the hang of the date thang yet. :rolleyes::)

Irulan
07-10-2009, 06:34 AM
I was looking into similar products for a disabled relative. There are lots of reviews online, there are definitely some products out there that get consistently crappy reviews.

Zen
07-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Never too early to plan ahead :D
it gathered a lot of interest, didn't it? Walking in icy conditions terrifies me. I'm old, what if I break a hip?;)
I missed it the first time around but probably be investing in Yaktraks this winter.

BleeckerSt_Girl
07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I have bought and used both YakTrax and Get-a-grip pull on ice grippers....used both a LOT since I do fitness walking in the wintertime on the streets and roads.
I find the Yaktrax typically only last one season before the metal coils eat their way through the rubber and break. The Get a Grips have little titanium spikes instead of coils, and they grip better and last twice as long for me.

lph
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm old, what if I brake a hip?;)

Hey, Zen, if you brake a hip you'll be fine ;) It's that sudden stop that's a problem...

sorry, jsut having one of those snotty days :rolleyes:

Zen
07-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I can't believe I did that!
More coffee, please.