PDA

View Full Version : Looking for website f/b

SalsaMTB
11-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I decided here because even though it's a bike website, I'm not really looking to discuss bikes :)

As some of you may remember, my husband and I opened a bike shop last April. I had posted about our store and website, and received some great feedback/recommendations on our site. Well, since then, we have been working to completely redo it. So, if you girls have some extra time on your hands and feel like checking it out, I would love feedback. We're still working on it, so some of the information is a bit outdated (ie blog and rides) and there are some quirks I've found (windows opening seperately off some link). If you could let me know your thoughts of layout, content, flow, frames, whatever, I would appreciate it. Basically, just what you would want your local bike shops site to have. Here is the link (http://www.cycletofitness.com)

mimitabby
11-29-2006, 11:21 AM
no kidding! your own bike shop!
your website seems friendly and breezy and not too full and busy.

and only one click to find hours and directions! you get points for that one!

LBTC
11-29-2006, 11:26 AM
What a great website!! The service scheduler is a fantastic idea!

Just fix it up so that each of the "menu options" at the top opens inside the same window, with the "menu" still at the top, and you'll have it perfect!

....wish I lived where your bike store is! hahahaha

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Triskeliongirl
11-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Looks great but here are two suggestions. My LBS also posts their complete bike inventory. While bikes can't be mail ordered and are only sold in the store, it lets folks know what you have and might bring them in. They also have a special section on end of the year sales. I found a nice bike for my hairdresser there, and so he went it to look at it but walked out with a more expensive new stock bike (actually 2, one for his SO as well). I also think its nice if when folks click on a ride they pull up a ride map. Again, the more stuff like this you do the more goodwill you earn in your community, and if all rides start from your shop maybe the more folks that might stop by even if there isn't a ride scheduled that day.

IFjane
11-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Salsa - looks good to me! I love the graphic you have for the store. And you've got some good prices on women's jerseys! ;)

chickwhorips
11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
looks really good to me. i like the idea of having the menu bar at the top of the links you can click on too.

congrats on all you've accomplished!

Eden
11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Looks nice - the only thing I noticed that was missing. Once you go to the store there is no link back to the original home page.

Also it would be nice to have a bit more on the home page than just your logo and the links. Maybe a photo of your store and a little information? Otherwise it looks nice and the store looks very easy to use.

SalsaMTB
11-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the feedback! It's good to know what people like/dislike about sites.

Looks great but here are two suggestions. My LBS also posts their complete bike inventory. While bikes can't be mail ordered and are only sold in the store, it lets folks know what you have and might bring them in. They also have a special section on end of the year sales. I found a nice bike for my hairdresser there, and so he went it to look at it but walked out with a more expensive new stock bike (actually 2, one for his SO as well). I also think its nice if when folks click on a ride they pull up a ride map. Again, the more stuff like this you do the more goodwill you earn in your community, and if all rides start from your shop maybe the more folks that might stop by even if there isn't a ride scheduled that day.

Thanks for the ideas! I've seen where shops list the bikes they sell, but being sure to include current inventory is a really good point. I'll have to look into adding that. Also, I love that maps idea with the rides. I never even thought of that!

What a great website!! The service scheduler is a fantastic idea!

Just fix it up so that each of the "menu options" at the top opens inside the same window, with the "menu" still at the top, and you'll have it perfect!

~T~

lol...I'm glad you like the service scheduler, right now it's hardly used, but we're new so hopefully it's something that will catch on next season :) I noticed some of the quirks with the links, some opening differently than others. I'll have to look in to why. The store portion we have open in a seperate window because we had problems ensuring a secure connection on some computers. We're still beginner website people ;)

Tri Girl
11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Salsa,
I LOVE your site! (and I'm envious of you having your own bike store- good for you!!!!). I think it looks great. It's very user-friendly and the menu at the top is very helpful. I agree with IFJane on your women's bike jersey prices- I may have to get one! It is appealing without being too busy. For novice site designers, you've done a FANTASTIC job!

My only suggestion is this- I don't know your area to know if triathlons are a big deal there, and if triathletes have anywhere local to shop. Where I live, we have NOWHERE in our city (or state for that matter) to buy tri clothing. My LBS just opened a small tri section in his store (a corner that has some tri tops and shorts w/some other small tri gear) and he's doing great business. Since triathletes need bikes and bike gear, they might shop you, over someone else, if you have some tri gear available. You could do a survey of a local tri club (if there is one) to see if there is interest, or just order a very small sampling of merchandise and see how it sells. I know nothing of running a business, so please take my suggestion with a grain of salt. I was just thinking of my own needs.

Again, congrats on the shop and on the site! I wish you were nearby so I could shop you and give you my business!!! :)

SalsaMTB
11-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses! If anyone would like a sticker of our logo, email my husband ( daniel@cycletofitness.com ) with your address and we'll mail it out!

-Jenn