PDA

View Full Version : Colby's Seattle Marathon

colby
11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Do the Race Results get archived? It feels so lonely with only a few here!!

This is a repost from a blog entry (it's about all I use myspace for!) that I posted for friends and family, but I'll probably add some comments just for you guys in a bit, too... there are some things we talked about or I mentioned here that you guys might ask anyway or I'd like to comment on, I just wanted to get the basics in for everyone. My apologies for the length, I should stop writing these after work when my brain is toast. ;)

---

Aloha and greetings from the chilly, chilly Northwest. As I mentioned following my last event, I had signed up for the Seattle Marathon held last weekend in (guess where...) downtown Seattle on November 26th (Sunday). Well, the short version: I made it. Read on for the long version (sorry for the length, I'll have to practice brevity instead of running next). :)

We had decided not to spend Thanksgiving in Seattle and instead spend it at home, then head to Seattle *after* all of the T-Day travelers had already left. We flew out on Friday afternoon and bused it down to the host hotel: the Westin in downtown Seattle (which had an awesome marathon room rate), right near Westlake/Pacific Place. No rental car to worry about (saved $11 a night or thereabouts in parking fees), no place to go, just two days of "relax" before the big day. We didn't realise Friday night was also the big tree lighting ceremony at Westlake (duh, after all those parades we marched in you'd think I'd remember), so our bus was slightly diverted and delayed and we had to walk through huge crowds of people. The weather was pretty nice, in the 40s and cloudy with some sunbreaks if you squinted. Instead of jumping right in to the Expo/Packet Pick-Up, we went ahead and went to a movie (Stranger than Fiction, with Will Ferrell, which was enjoyable). While it might be nice to have everything squared away as soon as you could, I think it was nice to set Friday aside as a "nothing" day/night and just take it easy, be willingly distracted for a while. Plus, it's hard to feel guilty about what you eat the two days before running a marathon, so we had movie theater popcorn to boot (hey, it's carbs with salt, right?).

Saturday, we planned on meeting my in-laws for the traditional Italian dinner fairly early (4:45) near Seattle Center, so we planned our day around it. The Expo/Pick-Up opened around 11:30; around noon we headed down and after a 10 minute wait in line, I was one step closer to committed -- chip in hand, bib number squared away. I didn't have to do the clothing check (they provided garbage bags and sharpies to put your # on for check-in on Sunday) since I wasn't there alone, which was nice. The Expo was full of people and the traditional Expo stuff: new shoes, shoes that must have been demo shoes (once used), fuel belts, hats, gloves, tiny running shorts (I honestly don't think I will ever be prepared for someone to have that much information about my bum and the legs that sprout henceforth), long running tights, shirts that could wick the sweat from 30 lions on a hot day on the savannah in one fell swoop, bodyglide (not to be confused with astroglide although probably quite similar in contents), various types of foods good and bad (gels, juices, vitamins, you name it), and those cool Tanita Ironman scales that measure everything from weight to body fat to quantity of dirt particles inhaled since 4:30 PM yesterday. It's hard to deny you're running a marathon after you pick up the chip, bib, free race tshirt (long sleeved technical fabric, cool logo, too, but doesn't say "finisher" - that costs extra), and hang around at the Expo for a while... my marathon sherpa was a little tired of it, though.

After the Expo, we saw another movie (The Fountain, which was also good, but different), and hiked it over to REI. REI is like Mecca for the Granola People of the Pacific Northwest, and also the place where Hippie squarely meets Yuppie. Of course, the Seattle REI is the most awesomest REI around, with a mountain bike testing trail, climbing wall, and all the things they never carry at those smaller REIs (like mine). I picked up some gels (my REI doesn't carry Hammer, bah!), got some arm warmers so I didn't have to wear a long sleeved shirt and could ditch them if I got hot, tried on some ski pants (if you can afford Arc'Teryx or find it on Steep and Cheap, buy it - very awesome stuff), and cruised the clearance items. My marathon sherpa read by the fire while I wandered. We headed over for our Italian dinner with the fam, which was tasty and fun -- my very own Marathon Last Supper. Headed back to the room to TRY to sleep... good luck with that, even on the Westin's signature Heavenly Bed (tm) with new Westin scent. I had carefully placed all of my items where I could find them, put my change of clothes in a bag for my sherpa, and turned on boring TV. Worth noting, the weather for Saturday was similar to Friday, cloudy with some peeks from the sun.

Now for the fun. Anyone from the Northwest and especially Seattle knows that you either want to tell people one of two things about the weather: if you don't like them, you tell them it's everything they've heard - wet, gray, damp, and depressing; if you like them, you tell them what we all tell ourselves - it's really not that rainy, it rains more in Chicago than Seattle, we love the weather. I can't lie about Sunday: it was a stereotypical Seattle day, and then some. Started out with snow outside our hotel window. Yep, snow. Turned to rain pretty quickly, but it wasn't too bad, it was the kind of rain I could mostly ignore. We headed to the start line (we *walked* rather than risk -- er, I mean -- take, the monorail), too late to turn back now!! The Marathon Walk started at 7:15, the Half Marathon at 7:45, and the Marathon Run at 8:15. By 8:00, it was wet. It was actually hide underneath stuff and consider possibly using an umbrella if you're going to be waiting outside for a while wet, which takes a lot for people from Seattle to admit. I of course took one last visit to Honey Bucket Row, then fastened my number to my Camelbak waistpack and I was ready to go... relatively, of course. :)

The course was interesting. Having never done a marathon before, let alone this marathon, I would say I was probably over conservative in a lot of places, especially at the beginning. I also think I'm going to stop taking my heart monitor with me to races, it is just distracting (in fact, this time, I ditched it at mile 16 or so with my sherpa). Starting from Seattle Center, we headed down 5th to the I-90 onramp, all the way down the I-90 Express Lanes to Mercer Island, around the Seward Park area, back through Lake Washington Blvd, then cut back over toward the city center. I-90 is built for cars, worked okay on the bike, but is much harder on the feet. Somewhere around mile 10, the rain seemed to let up a bit, which was nice (and typical). Somewhere around mile 20, the rain was back and stronger than before, with added wind features. There was some *beautiful* scenery throughout the entire course and I really enjoyed running through the city, though I think the whole I-90 thing was less than spectacular. There weren't a whole lot of spectators either, but my sherpa with fam met me around miles 5, 16, and 20, then at the end. They were an awesome cheering squad, complete with cowbell and loud cheers. Marathon sherpa and cheering squad all get gold stars, wish I could take them with me to all my races (well, the sherpa doesn't really have a choice). There was a nice sized hill around mile 21 (short, but steep), otherwise it was a fairly rolling course with some flat segments. I had to walk some hills in fear I wouldn't make it if I didn't, but I think maybe that fear was a little extreme. 26.2 miles is a lot of time on your feet, especially if you aren't a super awesome runner, but I made it, with a very cool sprint to the finish and my arms overhead to the sound of cheers from my cheering squad and my name being called out by the announcer.

After the marathon, my cheering squad gave me flowers and a balloon, I changed my clothes just to feel cold and send my sherpa to get me a sweatshirt (this one says "finisher" on it ), we grabbed some food (mmm, bananas, about all you can eat at that point), and headed out into the wind and rain back to the hotel. We did laugh at the announcement overhead that the monorail was now "running again"... glad we didn't plan on that!! My sherpa treated me to PF Chang's for early dinner, I iced iced iced, took some ibuprofen, added some heat, then read and watched TV. Walking was... difficult. Sitting and standing was... nearly impossible. The weather? Still rainy, then snowy. Monday wasn't bad to start out with, but the snow (and ice pellets, among other things) came back in full force in the afternoon.

My time? Not fast. 5:19, which turns out to be 12 minute miles. I know I could have finished faster, but being my first time at all and my first time on this course, there was no reason to beat myself up over it any more than I did. I was honestly expecting 30 minutes or more faster, but given the conditions and that it was my first time, just finishing is a major accomplishment. There's always next time for "faster" or "better" ;)

I still walk funny today, sitting and standing still hurts, stairs are especially fun, but from here on out it's about recovery and whatever comes next.

salsabike
11-28-2006, 08:08 PM
Colby! Congratulations. Glad you did it on our home turf!

KnottedYet
11-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Congrats! I can't imagine doing a marathon, let alone doing it in the weather we're having! You are cool!

Will you be doing the Danskin next year, too? We must meet up! Quillfred said she'd do the Danskin, too, y'know...

kaybee
11-29-2006, 04:57 AM
Congratulations! You did a great job sticking it out. You are now a marathoner!!!

KB

suzieqtwa
11-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Congratulations Colby...I know being from Portland, how the weather was last weekend.....good for you. I did the Portland Marathon 2005 ,but I started crying at the end ,and couldn't stop. I did it in 4.45. It was by far the hardest thing I ever have done. I thought my body was shutting down by mile 19. It is a huge accomplishment. enjoy the rest...you deserve it.

mimitabby
11-29-2006, 09:59 AM
great story, thanks for sharing. Imagine, running that far!! I walk 1 mile
and give myself head pats for it!
but a full marathon.!!!
congrats!! and in THAT weather?!?!?

colby
11-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Will you be doing the Danskin next year, too? We must meet up! Quillfred said she'd do the Danskin, too, y'know...

Yep, I'm sure I will -- it's now a yearly requirement with my mother in law. :) She is (we are) thinking about switching to age groups to start earlier. It might be a little more demoralizing having all those people pass you, but it would mean less waiting time and a little easier to get to the swim start.

colby
11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
A couple of other things... I found myself VERY thirsty afterward even though I was taking in plenty of water. It took a while, but about 3 hours after finishing I downed a good 2 bottles of water and was looking for more.

My quads/calves didn't start to really hurt until about mile 23 -- I think I'll do more hills if (and as you all know, that "if" really means "when") I do another marathon, especially this one. Wish I could have driven the course, there were no course tours, and I didn't see the pacers anyway even if I'd been able to try it.

Haven't gotten sick, but for some really personal female details, over the last 2 months I haven't had hardly any bleeding during my period -- just spotting at the "right" time. Sunday night, it came. I haven't had a period this strong in a long time. I guess my body figured the stress is over and now we can go back to normal.

I feel a little lost this week, I've been doing some morning Yoga for about 15-20 minutes that lets me wake up and stretch out my body. Scheduled a chiropractor appointment for tomorrow and will be scheduling some acupuncture as well. I'm considering scheduling a massage when I go to my chiro appointment, I think it would feel really good.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on the bike, of course it went and snowed so now I can't ride on the streets until it clears, IF it even clears. I'm thinking about a running-biking-yoga trifecta during the week, but I need to get some swimming in there somewhere also. It might be time to see a trainer or get some advice from someone who can help give me some guidance.

Thanks for all your congratulations. I probably wouldn't have done it without you guys! :D

Tri Girl
11-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Congrats, Colby!!!
Excellent race report- I loved reading all about what you did up to the race, and then all about the race itself! Sorry you had such cold conditions, but you really did a fantastic job. After all, now you have a PR to beat for next time (and yes, there WILL be a next time). :)
Congrats again- such an accomplishment!

chickwhorips
11-29-2006, 01:43 PM
good job colby! even though it probably wasn't the funnest marathon due to weather, you did a great job. happy recovering!

my $0.02 get the massage.

Quillfred
11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Congratulations on a job well done Colby!

I am somewhat surprised they didn't cancel with the snow forcast. It started snowing hard here in NE Seattle at 4:30 pm. I had to cancel a dinner invite.

Hope you made (or make) it home safely. I hear we're in for some more fluff tonight. (edit: in fact it is happening now).

Re: the personal stuff--when there isn't "sufficient" body fat, one doesn't always make enough hormones to support the monthly menstrual cycle. It isn't an unusual occurance. When it happened to me, I considered it a lucky break. ;)

maillotpois
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Congrats, Colby!! Well done!!

KSH
11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
WOW! What a great race report. You have a real talent for writing!

That run sounds brutal. You are braver than I would be. In weather like that, I would have stayed in the hotel relaxing.

You did a great job! Thanks for sharing all the details!

seychelle
11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Congrats Colby ! When's the next one ? ;) You are a great writer, by the way.

tygab
11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Colby,

Congrats! It sounds like a tough day to have raced in, but it sounds like you did great! I am not a marathoner, but my sister runs a couple a year and has told me it's supposed to be 1 day off per mile run after a race. So, don't get too eager to run too soon and hurt yourself!

She of course ran the 5k with me in Vancouver two weeks ago which I am not quite sure was a month from the Chi marathon... but she is an advanced runner so I assume she knows what she was doing. [she even took 5th in our age group, go sis! maybe someday I can be like her!]

Grog
12-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Grrrrreat job Colby!!! Very inspiring story, thank you for that!!

colby
12-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey, check me out. I'm so cool, I'm on TV. ;)

http://www.marathonvideo.com/seattle2006/video.php?id=1276

PS: I had trouble seeing the video in Firefox on my PC. If it doesn't work, try Internet Explorer, bastion of security that it is.

Tri Girl
12-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Too cool Colby! Which girl are you- the first or second one?
That's pretty neat-o!

colby
12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Too cool Colby! Which girl are you- the first or second one?
That's pretty neat-o!

First girl - light blue shirt and black arm warmers. :)

Tri Girl
12-02-2006, 06:53 AM
That's great! You look so happy crossing the line (and then suddenly so relieved)- and I can see your breath- makes me cold just looking at you. Congrats again for a great race- I admire you for toughing it out! Fantastic time!

colby
12-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey, check me out. I'm so cool, I'm on TV. ;)

http://www.marathonvideo.com/seattle2006/video.php?id=1276

And, hey! Pictures!

http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=10722&BIB=1744

KnottedYet
12-02-2006, 05:15 PM
You look great! What a babe!

btchance
12-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Awesome job, especially in that weather. Congrats!! And you look great in those pics. :D

Bikingmomof3
12-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Awesome job. :D The photos are great. :)

KSH
12-03-2006, 06:29 AM
Great pictures Colby! You look awesome in them!

Gosh, it does look cold there though... Bbbbuuurrrr.

Tri Girl
12-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Colby- I LOVE the pics, too! Wow- great shots of you! You look so strong and powerful! I like the ones of you at the finish. Cute marathon outfit, too! :)