PDA

View Full Version : researching for new road bike

togarider
05-02-2004, 07:40 PM
I could use some advice from more experienced cyclists. I've got a 1987(I think) Univega that I'm hoping to replace very soon. I've done SOME research, but no test rides. My LBS doesn't have bikes my size to test ride. (I'm 5'3")

The Specialized WSD look good, as do the Trek WSD...but the LUNA's look AMAZING! (not to mention expensive) But hey, I'm worth it! I want my new bike to fit me so well and so comfortably that I want to be on it all the time! Initailly, I thought my $ limit would be about $1400, but I'm starting to reconsider in favor of a more expensive model.

I guess my real question here is, for those of you wo have had a variety of road bikes, what would you recommend? Is it like computers...by the most expensive one you can afford?

Please advise soon, 'cause the roads are calling me!! Thanks!

pedalfaster
05-03-2004, 05:10 AM
I usually encourage customers who are one their second (or third or fourth...) bike to spend as much as they posibly can. Why? You already know that you love the sport and will ride the bike. If you "compromise" on components you'll just end up spending more on up-grades later.

I would make two lists. One would be your "dream bike" (frame material, components etc...sky's-the-limit). Then make a list of your "must haves". You'll also need to consider bike companies that make frames in your size (if you are hard-to-fit) and possibly look at some custom builders.
Hopefully somewhere in there the picture of "your perfect bike" will begin to come into focus.

Then get out and test-ride anything you can get your hands on. I know that's difficult when you are short and you want a high-end bike. Be sure to let other riders (bike club or team?) know what you are looking for. Often riders who are very pleased with their bikes will let you take theirs for a spin. If you travel at all, be sure to check bike shops in other cities.
As you ride more bikes you'll probably make some revisions to your list.

Good luck and have fun shopping
:)

katie stierman
05-07-2004, 11:45 AM
to togarider, i wholeheartedly agree with pedalfaster. make a list of what you really want, and don't sacrifice to save $ i have been a fairly serious rode rider@20 yrs and after feeling beat up by 2 aluminum frames, i switched back to steel, with a carbon fork, and the best components money could buy. i ended up with a beautiful derosa, and i have no regrets! alot of my riding pals like all carbon, or titanium like the merlin, kestral, trek, etc. after having 2 cannondales, i wanted something a little more exotic too. take time to think about it, gather info from cyclists, etc. and don't rule out mail order. our local shops are not the greatest either, so i ordered from colorado cyclist and they were awesome. also, it helped me to learn alot by doing my own "research" instead of just buying "off the rack" so to speak!good luck, and remember, this is supposed to be fun, so enjoy!:)

togarider
05-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks pedalfaster and katie! Great feedback, especially regarding steel vs. alumunium frame. I've started leaning towards the pricey WSD Trek 5200. Still looking and reading though.

togarider

Adventure Girl
05-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by togarider
I've started leaning towards the pricey WSD Trek 5200.

I have a "pricey" WSD Trek 5200. I really love it! I chose it because of its fit and features, and I got a really good price on it. (I have bought quite a few bikes from my LBS). They let me choose all my components almost like a "Project One" bike, so my bike is exactly what I wanted. I can't think of anything I would change. Pretty sweet!:D

oldbikah
05-08-2004, 04:42 PM
I am also 5'3" and last fall I bought this year's model of the Litespeed Capella. Has carbon fork, compact geometry. I love the sleek feel, control and handling. Unfortunately I won't be able to ride until "July-ish" as I am on the disabled squad due to surgery on a torn hand ligament.

Dogmama
05-22-2004, 08:09 PM
I just checked out Litespeed's web site. Pretty nice! Not a bad price either! Did you have yours custom built? I was impressed that they used CAD to build frames. I suppose your LBS would need to be pretty good, though, to feed the info to them.

bounceswoosh
05-23-2004, 05:39 AM
I just want to mention -- unless you've had WSDs before and been happy with them, don't assume they'll fit you.

When I was looking for a mountain bike, I came in looking specifically for a WSD frame. I figured it was cool that manufacturers were putting research into it, and I wanted to support that.

Anyhoo, I tried all three sizes of WSD for this frame, but the shop guy wasn't happy. He practically begged me to try the smallest unisex bike. Lo and behold -- it fit me like a glove.

Not every woman does well with WSD. Fit is very personal -- don't buy something without testing it out.

oldbikah
05-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Before I got my new Litespeed, I too had started with the idea of a WSD. However I found that the concept ofCompact Geometry and sloping top tubes was a wonderful thing! My frame is not a custom built. I got what Litespeed calls a "medium" and it fits really well (almost exactly what a "fit kit" suggested). The only changes I made were replacing the stem with a shorter one, changing to full Ultegra and a triple, and short-reach brake levers, and a women's Selle San Marco saddle---all courtesy of my LBS. (To be exact-my son was a lead mechanic at the shop, and he takes good care of me!) Enjoy, ride lots of bikes until you feel the Eureka that's it feeling.

bounceswoosh
05-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, a very nice guy and great mechanic recently adjusted my brakes so that they start closer in to the handlebars and end up farther away than they used to (used to practically touch the handlebars when I was braking). I'm liking it. The only complaint is that it makes attaching the front brake after putting the wheel back on really hard -- I really have to pull/push/beg the brakes to cooperate.

ausgirl
06-07-2004, 02:03 AM
My two cents if you haven't bought one yet... An Australian company called Alchemy does a number of beautiful women specific bikes and ANNA MILLWARD - 2 times road world champion helped design them. They are the millward series of course. Come in everything from Shimano Sora to Dura-ace. I went for the Ultegra in February and it is aluminium frame with carbon forks and rear seat stays and it is a dream. Reasonably priced and the seat is incredible too. Love my Ciara, she is so beautiful.