PDA

View Full Version : Polar HRM = Mac incompatible

Bluetree
11-27-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm looking to purchase a Polar S625x, as it seems to have the most features for multi-sport training. However, I cannot download the training information because it is not compatible with Macintosh.

Does anyone have this HRM and if so, can the training information be used directly from the unit, independent of a PC?

I really like the features of this HRM, but if it useless to me I'd rather know now than later! :o

crazycanuck
11-29-2006, 12:46 AM
Hello,

Since no one has replied, I have a quick question....I know this may sound stupid but have you contacted Polar about Mac compatible products? It's possible they may be able to help?

Just a thought...

c

bike4ever
11-29-2006, 05:52 AM
Bluetree - I spoke with Polar at Interbike this year regarding their Mac compatibility. They report they are working on it; however, they weren't able to give out a time frame. I just use an excel spreadsheet to record all of my data. I know it would be nice to use the HRM as it is supposed to be used, but you can still record the data manually. Contacting Polar as crazycanuck suggested is a good idea. I often tell customers to contact the companies directly. These companies often respond quicker to customer suggestions as opposed to industry suggestions.

wannaduacentury
11-29-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm looking to purchase a Polar S625x, as it seems to have the most features for multi-sport training. However, I cannot download the training information because it is not compatible with Macintosh.

Does anyone have this HRM and if so, can the training information be used directly from the unit, independent of a PC?

I really like the features of this HRM, but if it useless to me I'd rather know now than later! :o

I know how you feel, it drives me nuts when I find something I like and can't use it w/ my Mac. I know there are more windows users, but they need to realize not everybody has one and/or prefers Mac as I/we(whomever) do. I love my home computer much better than my pc @ work. Jennifer

aicabsolut
12-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Have you tried running windows as a virtual machine on your mac to run windows-only programs like the Polar interface? I think it's pretty cheap to get it set up, and the VM interfaces are very stable (versus the expensive POA of trying to dual boot).

bike4ever
12-01-2006, 04:06 PM
aicabsolut - Two years ago we installed Virtual PC on my bike shop mac to try and run a bike specific program called "BikeALog". It was disgustingly slow - so slow that I was willing to not use the BikeALog subscription. Since that wasn't a good option, we purchased a very cheap pc to use with this one specific program. We do not have it connected to the internet so as not to compromise our secure network.

Maybe this program has improved in the last two years. I still wouldn't use it.

Bikingmomof3
12-01-2006, 05:02 PM

Bluetree,

I am a Mac user and Virtual PC stinks, BUT the new Macs (one of the laptops I have is a MacBook Pro) use Intel chips, therefore I am able to run Windows and can use the Polar software.

As to your second question, when I contacted Polar, yes, some info could be taken from the unit, but then it would make more sense to buy a less expensive unit, like the RS200sd-although I think that has now been upgraded to work with their software. :confused:

I am not certain if I helped of just babbled. :o

aicabsolut
12-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Yes, maybe I should've been more specific. There's new VM software for the new Intel-Macs that runs really well. My bro in law is a techie and says it's very stable and a great option. I had a friend install it recently on her new Mac to run a program for work, and she has no complaints.

Unless you want to partition your drive to do a dual boot (which is really a selective boot at startup), running Windows on an Intel Mac requires creating a VM to run in the background.

I can try to dig up the link to the one mentioned that seems to work just fine (and isn't too slow).

bikemom - I was really skeptical about VMs too, but I grilled my BIL on them, and they seem to be a great option. And since you're really keeping the Mac a Mac for all other purposes (unlike a dual-boot), you don't have the security issues of a PC running Windows.

aicabsolut
12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
I should add that if you have very little memory, you won't be able to afford to run a VM in the background, so no running Windows this way to do serious gaming while running all your Mac stuff. But I'd think it'd be just fine for the purpose of accessing the Polar stuff.

Bluetree
12-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the good advice. I have run VPC on my Mac and really hated it. Not only did it bog down, but I had occasional system crashes until I exorcised it from my computer, much like when I ran OS9 and OSX together. I decided to scrap the S625x and go with a much cheaper model, the F11 for women, until Polar can get up to speed with compatibility issues. I really don't want to spend too much time, money or energy on it. Personally, I feel that it's something the manufacturer should be addressing, not the consumer.

P.S. I wrote to PolarUSA but got no response.

aicabsolut
12-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear you had bad experience w/ the VPC. Must just be a decent option for the very newest Macs and the newest VM version.

Please PM me on how you like the F11 if you get it. It's on my Christmas list right now--hope I asked for a good one!

Manufacturers should work on interoperability issues, but they run into cross-licensing problems sometimes and they think it's not worth the trouble. I'm kind of confused how the "sonic uplink" works with PCs anyway... They don't have much information on it at all. Just stuff on the infrared which I think they're phasing out.

mlove
12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
I have the F11 and it works pretty well. You can set programs and it keeps track of your progress.