PDA

View Full Version : Running Time

violette
11-27-2006, 10:14 AM
I'm just curious. I run 6km in about 40 min, 8km in about 50 min. What is your time? I'm not sure if this is very slow, slow or medium.

seychelle
11-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Violette,

Unless you are planning to make a living out of running, don't worry about time. Fast is relative. What is fast for you may not be for the next person and vise versa. If a year ago you were running 8K in 60 minutes, then 50 min is fast for you at this point. Enjoy your ability to be able to run and don't injure yourself in the process. You may want to put away the watch for a while and just enjoy the fact that you can run.

Signed,

"Former time-obsessed runner and paying for it"

Bikingmomof3
11-27-2006, 03:24 PM
Violette,
Are you preparing for a race? Eventually I will be participating in 1/2, and full marathons as well as a tri before I am 40. I run for the pure joy of running. :D My times will very greatly from others, since I had a stroke and have some paralysis on my left side. I run loops and notice I can do more and more in the same time frame. :) Right now, I just run becasue I can :cool: and to build endurance. A month ago I was just entertaining the notion of running, so I am relatively new. My average 5K is about 30 minutes, that is a pace where I can talk with whomever I am running with. Others on here my be slower than me, but most are much faster and that is alright. I learn from them and gain inspiration from all who run. :D

KSH
11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Well, for what it's worth, it sounds fast to me!

I run a 5K in about 32 minutes.

But, you MUST keep in mind that I am running on different terrain... and hills and wind play into your speed. So, you can't really compare your time to my time... unless we are running side by side somewhere.

The key here is to set realistic goals for yourself.

For me, to run a 10 minute mile (sorry, I live in the USA!)... or less... is awesome! For others, that is slow... and for some that's fast.

We all have our own physical limitations and we have to set our goals accordingly.

So, set some goals that are challenging and realistic for you... and go for it!

suzieqtwa
11-28-2006, 07:08 AM
I drove myself crazy trying to run as fast as others, or what I thought fast was. I'm 53 ,and I run a 9 minute mile depending on the distance (and that's good for me.) I did a 1/2 Marathon in 1 hour 59 minutes ,and I was Ok with that. Listen to what Sey said...don't injurer yourself. Its not worth it. Now that I'm trying to run again I'm probably running 10-11 minute miles. Just enjoy yourself.